Information regarding the effects of alcoholism on children

Old 05-24-2006, 01:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Information regarding the effects of alcoholism on children

This is something I happened upon yesterday. Being the child of an alcoholic, as well as having children of my own who have been exposed to their father's alcoholism, I found it informative. I would post it here, but it is quite lengthy.

http://www.thisisawar.com/AddictionAlcoholChild.htm
Old 05-24-2006, 01:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

This is good Stuff LaTeeDa! Great info!

This in relation to chronic lying, children making up lies for attention..I did that alot when I was a kid. I once told me teacher in 1st grade that my parents were getting divorced..they were not.
I lied that same year about having 5 sisters. I was an only at that point.
I faxed injuries alot too...

When a child learns that the only time to get the non-alcoholic’s attention is when a crisis is happening, that child learns to create catastrophic crises to get the attention he needs and for which he longs.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanx for posting this LTD

Yours truly would pick out names out of the phonebook and start signing all my school papers with that name in the hopes that somehow they would come and take me to their house instead. Didn't work, but it sure confuzled the heck outta my teachers

Mike
Old 05-24-2006, 02:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was a straight-A student, but used to pretend to be sick a lot cause I didn't want to face school. I also remember doing a bit of shoplifting as a teen/pre-teen. Never got caught, but one of my friends did and that "scared me straight." Experimented with pot around 12 or 13. Didn't effect my grades, but my mom wondered why I all of a sudden had such an appetite--LOL!

L
Old 05-24-2006, 04:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for this. Really interesting read.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

very, very interesting LTD! i see so much of myself in this article. how ANYONE can say that a parent's alcoholism does not affect the children is beyond me.

thank you!
Old 05-26-2006, 09:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know, I see myself in this article, too. Especially the part about how dysfunctional families create perfectionists. Maybe that's why some parents continue along the path of denial regarding the impact on their children. Because they seem so "perfect."

L
Old 05-26-2006, 09:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

good point - and when you are growing up that way, most children will stuff their feelings - again leading the parents to believe that "all is well"!
Old 05-26-2006, 10:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks LTD .... I know a kid that can read this and hopefully see herself here!
Old 05-26-2006, 06:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

LTD---Thanks (notice I pushed the TNX button ) Very interesting information and sounds very familiar and also I can really see alot of those traits in AH (who comes from a long line of A's IMHO). Hopefully I will get my printer working and copy this to read over a few times at leisure.....and maybe leave it sitting around where my kids will glance at it,too.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pick-a-name
and maybe leave it sitting around where my kids will glance at it,too.
You know, I did the same thing. You never know what will be absorbed by them. In any case, it was helpful for me.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

Wow, Did I see myself in a few of the personality types. Goes to show u how scared some of us our and a good reminder to protect our children. Thanks for a interesting post!!
Old 08-21-2008, 10:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Awakening

I was reading through some of LaTeeDa's old posts and ran acrosss this thread, it includes a hyperlink to a long article about children of alcoholics.

Having one of "those" myself and seeing alot of others on this board who are parents of "those", and after reading the article I may indeed be one of "those". Man I saw alot of the characteristics in my 7yod and in myself.

Anyway being pretty low-tec (don't know how to hyperlink...will figure it out some other time) I have decided to respone to a 2 yo thread in an atempt to bump it. Hope it's O.K. LTD.

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Talk about an article that might as well be your life story......that's me all over.

Unfortunately, my parents were bound and determined to stay together even if it killed their kids or screwed us up for life.

They were too afraid of being without a husband/wife, so they sacrificed us on that altar instead.

Thanks, LTD
Old 08-21-2008, 10:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you LTD for the original post and thanks for bumping it up. I am going to print it off to discuss with my 16 y.o. He is starting to display some anger toward his dad and asks me frequeently why I "put up with it". The other 3 kids are following behind, and I am finally at a place where I am ready to stop any further damage. I regret that 16 years had to go by for my oldest and I hope that with love, counseling, and education he can heal some of the damage that has been done.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for the bump! Great article LTD - just was like a walk down memory lane!!!!

When I first went to AlAnon and would read things like this I just remember crying and crying!!

Thank God AlAnon exists.
B.