A lesson from my MIL

Old 05-21-2006, 05:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A lesson from my MIL

I learned a lesson from my MIL the other day, and it was one she wasn't even trying to teach. She had left my AH a voicemail while she was angry, and we were playing it over the speakerphone. She had asked him to do something for her, and for whatever reason, he had told her he wouldn't do it. So she found someone else to do it. Her voicemail said something to the effect of, "Well, I hope you're happy. I got C to do this for me, so you don't have to worry! I just wanted you to know that I will never do anything for you again!" When we heard that, we both started laughing. Not to be rude, but it was kind of funny because she bends over backwards all the time to do things for him. She gets mad and says she is not going to help him anymore since he never helps her, but she always ends up helping anyway. As I was laughing about it, I realized it...I do the exact same thing. I always threaten, threaten, threaten, but he believes me just as much as we believe his mom will never help him out again. He probably laughs his head off inside when I say something about leaving. What a wake up call! At the very, very least, I will no longer make threats I am not serious about upholding, for now I really do see how serious they take it. I will only choose to act when I am ready, and not mention it one minute before. Just thought I'd share in case anyone else could benefit from my light bulb.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Excellent AHA moment, TG. You are getting it. Keep it up!

L
Old 05-22-2006, 03:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

Great to see u back texasgirl, u have been missed!!!! How is the new job and commute going? I know what u mean about the threats, I have made plenty- the farthest it ever got was he spent a month in our camper, off my property. I can be too forgiven and of course my mother drives me insane. Reminded me how good I've got it. Ugh when u are ready to dish we our here. I hope things with hubby have improved some! Hugs out to you!!!!! Kerry
Old 05-22-2006, 05:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

DING DING time to wake up! Wow... smart girl, proud of ya.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

With all the MIL bashing that goes on around the world, we tend to overlook the many lessons we can gain from our MIL. My MIL has even been profound a time or two *LOL*

I am sure it must feel good when you see your eyes open like that.
Lessons are all around us and when we stop and look, we see them from time to time. Good job.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
One brief hour...

So true TG. It is all about the actions and not the words for us all. I hope all is going well with you at your new job. Keep us posted on your goings-on. You are missed.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

Right on!
Its so eye opening when that kind of thing happens and we can see in other people the things we do all the time.

Old 05-22-2006, 09:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I also realized this a few weeks ago. I was talking to my Mom and I was saying he must laugh at me when I say im moving out blah blah blah.... I have said the same crap for 3 years now and the most I have done is leave for 5 days.. I laugh at myself why wouldnt he!! He lets me blow off steam and then feels shell get over it in a few days, and sure enough I do.
I also no longer threaten...Never ever. The next time I do I will be sure I go for good!