Mothers Day with the fam

Old 05-15-2006, 10:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

Mothers Day with the fam

I planned the Mothers Day events yesterday for my mom and grandmother (moms mother) who in in town. MOm and I have been getting on better and I really was looking forward to yesterday.

I was cautiously optimistic as things with mom and I have been getting better and better with each healthy step I make. I was nervous though as my grandmother has this wierd effect on my mom. Mom acts like she is 17 when grandma is around and I usually avoid them together.

We had brunch at a nice French bistro downtown, dad and brother who is 20 came along.
I paid the bill, we came back to the folks house, opened cards for mom.
My mom had tears in her eyes. This is the first mothers day we have had where she and I werent fighting....in many many years. She siad she had heard somewhere that in mother daughter relationships, the things the mother got on the daughter about as a kid, end up being the things the adult daughter is most self concious about and did I agree. I told her yes, but its allright, and smiled. Sh said she was sorry. I told her it really was allright.

We just hung out for a few hours before we started dinner.
Mom, grandma, and I made the dinner, while my dad and brother watched hockey on TV.

Instead of demanding that they help, I just shut my mouth.
After dinner, I got up, tried to do the dishes....even though I had a horrible stomch ache.

Interestingly enough, she made a comment about how it really wasnt fair that I had to do so much as a kid, and acknowledged for the first time without anger, that I was repsonsible for too much as a kid. She said I was always the one who would take care of things.

She told my brother to take his young behind in the kitchen, and told me to please sit mine down and have some coffee with her.

We had a great day, and I really really enjoyed being with my mom!

I just wanted to share my good day with everyone!
Old 05-15-2006, 10:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow Sarah - what a blessing.

How great that you can share a day with your family and not get into any fights.

That's true recovery!

I'm still hoping my mom and I will reconsile one day..It's been 11 years and unfortunately she's still really really sick.

Oh well..I sent her a mother's day card..At least none of the letters have come back unopened.

I'm happy for you!
Old 05-15-2006, 10:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yay Sarah. I'm glad you had such a nice day. I hope there's plenty more for you.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hi sarah - that's great. i'm sorry to hear you ended up with a stomach ache. was it stress or just something you ate? i'm still working on that mother thing, too. thanks for the inspiration.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

wonderful Sarah...well not the tummy thing...did you eat too much????? LOL
My mom lives 500 miles away so the phone call was lovely......(grin)
Old 05-15-2006, 01:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

sounds like a great day you had except for the tummy problem. thank you for sharing your healthier mom's day story!
Old 05-15-2006, 03:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

Elizabeth, afew years ago I too got an apology for having been a cinderalla- It meant alot to me also. She even said she couldn't have done it without me. It felt good to hear it. I am really glad you had a nice day with your family.