Just for today...the little things.

Old 05-04-2006, 08:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just for today...the little things.

I have decided that no matter what happens today I will remain happy and content. I woke up this morning to the sound of birds chirping. I walked onto the frontporch to water my plants and low and behold a dove had parked her nest right in the middle of one of my hanging baskets.in that nest were 2 perfect white eggs. I almost drowned them with miracle grow so I'm thankful I looked first. It warmed my heart to see that bird tending her nest. Yesterday I read so many posts that touched me and made me realize so much that when I woke this morning I felt like a new person. my goal today is to notice the little things that I usually take for granted like walking in my garden barefooted and feeling the cool dirt under my feet. just for today...the little things.

Dancing~
2many
Old 05-04-2006, 08:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Beautiful!

I'm in the same head space. Life is beautiful, especially the little things!

Love Jo
Old 05-04-2006, 09:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

2many! Wow, isn't that a great feeling!? It's hard to get there sometimes, and for me I can get there but it's hard to stay sometimes. Thank you for reminding me not to take anything for granted.

~doll
Old 05-04-2006, 10:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

goffredo~
today is just lovely. the temp. is 78 and the sun is shining bright. I'm going to enjoy every minute of it.
doll~
I think that is so true for most of us. I've challenged myself to try and find just one great thing that happened that day every night before i go to bed. Trying to stay focused on the positive instead of the negatives will hopefully keep my moods at bay.

have a great day, y'all!!!!

2many
Old 05-04-2006, 10:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm with you today 2many....
It is beautiful here in the windy city...about 70 and the sun is awesome!
No matter what comes my way today I will just smile....
Life is good.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
One brief hour...

Amen 2many! Those little things in life that are free are the absolute best. Life is so full of beauty and inspiration. It is really all around us. We just got to slow down enough to take notice!

It is beautiful here in the windy city...about 70 and the sun is awesome!
I'm jeolous Patty!!! It was beautiful there during my biz trip too. I love it there.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Spring, Summer and Fall are the best here in Chicago...
Now winters they can get a little tricky......lol
Old 05-04-2006, 12:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Still learning; ever grateful

That was absolutely beautiful, 2many. Thanks for reminding everyone what really matters!!

I'm dancin', too.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Isn't there a construction season in Chicago too?
Old 05-04-2006, 12:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You are so right .... it is way toooooo easy to get caught up in what is negative ... Heck I can even find a negative in every positive....

I need to learn to accept being happy. I do dumb stuff... Like someone will say "your hair looks really good like that" and instead of saying thank you and feeling happy about it I will spin... WOW what did it look like yesterday, are they saying they did not like it .... dumb stuff.

Today I will spend some time by the pool watching the humming birds fight and play over the feeder... Life is SO good.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have spent the afternoon outside with my kids. We went for a walk and along the way noticed some wild strawberries growing beside the road. The youngest(4) asked if she could eat them. I told her no because it seems like somewhere I heard they were poisonous. We listened to the birds and watched how busy they were. We have a small pond nearby and walked over there to skip rocks. My son(13) is pretty good but us girls had problems. I haven't done that since I was a kid with my own father. My middle girl(she's 6) she really enjoys hanging out in the garden with me. I was showing her how to pull weeds. I told her the same thing that my great-grandmother told me years ago...that if you want your plants to live you must touch them and talk to them. She looked at me so strange. Then the next thing I knew she was touching them and saying things like...you have to grow, what good little plants, I'll shoo the bees away. It was truly an awesome day.

Cynay~ Save me a seat beside the pool!!!! I'll bring the lemonade!!!!!

Dancing~
2many

Remember....when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, we what? DANCE
Old 05-04-2006, 02:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
One brief hour...

It sounds like an AWESOME day 2many. Children are just so sweet . Talking to plants does help them- it's been proven!

Welp- I've been busting hump working all day, but I did take time out for a "Happy Meal". That counts in my life these days as one of the good things LOL. Now I'm about to hit the gym for day 2. That is definitely a good thing for my psychie.

Have a great night.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Bring the kiddies... Im sure they would love the pool!

Consider your seat saved... Glad you all had a wonderful day.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
ICU

Thanks for the important reminder 2many!

Like you, I was out on my deck today enjoying the 80+ degree weather. I got inspired to 'pretty up' my deck, so off to Home Depot I went and bought some beautiful geraniums in pink and peach, and celosia in yellow and red. Planted them all and now I have those beautifully colored flowers contrasting with the green leaves on the trees in the woods as a backdrop. It really made me happy, made me feel good. And darn, I was so busy enjoying what I was doing, I forgot to have my scheduled cigarette!!

Yes, it's the little things in life that we must make a point of enjoying each and every day!
Old 05-04-2006, 04:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It sounds like we all had a great day!!!

I think we all get so wrapped up in the rush of everyday life that we forget the small things therefore we miss so much. I don't know about you all but it sure made my day go WAY better!!!

mega~
I LOVE CHEESEBURGER HAPPY MEALS!!!! Wish I had the energy to hit the gym. I did get in a walk today though. That has to count for something!!!

cynay~
my kids love the pool. we spend endless hours there every summer.

ICU~
Don't you just love planting? It is therapy for me. Aslong as I have my hands in the dirt I am happy, happy!!! I'llbet your deck looks gorgeous! Flowers always brighten things up!

I hope we have more great days like this!!

2many
Old 05-04-2006, 08:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
One brief hour...

That's what I had-- a cheeseburger happy meal!

I had to comment on your enthusiasm for gardening. I too really love it. Although I live in apartment, I've been container gardening on my balcony for the 3 years I've lived here. It is VERY therapeudic. Watching something grow from a little seed is absolutely amazing. During the spring/summer, I always have one huge tomato bush that really thrives in the planter. If you plant marigolds at the base of your tomato bushes, that will keep away worms-- no need for pesticides . Fresh herbs are nice too. And oh yes-- plenty of flowers, flowers, flowers, flowers.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

What a lovely post and a lovely reminder that it's important to slow down and enjoy the little things in life. Speaking of birds, earlier this spring I noticed that a bird had made a nest on the Christmas wreath I'd lazily left on my front door. I checked it from time to time, and eventually five tiny blue eggs with brown spots on them appeared.

The mother bird would fly in my face everytime I approached the front door, then she'd take a spot in a nearby tree and she and her husband (who was always nearby) would squak at me while I walked inside.

I checked the nest daily, waiting for signs of life. A few weeks later, five tiny chicks appeared. They were nearly bald and seriously wrinkled. They looked like little old men.

Each morning on my way to work, I'd take a peek at her brood. In just three weeks they were fully feathered and looked like they'd soon be ready to leave the nest. The morning, I peeked in the nest and they were gone. I felt a twinge of sadness. Somewhere along the way, they'd stolen a little bit of my heart.

I was finally able to remove the Christmas wreath last week and replaced it with one more fitting for spring. Hopefully my little chicks will return next year looking for a place to nest. I'll have a Christmas wreath waiting for them, just in case.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Awwwwww. I love the baby chick story. We had a nest in one of our backyard trees last year that my kids discovered. We felt the same sense of loss when the babies left. Ahhh, the circle of life, huh?

L
Old 05-04-2006, 09:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I love my garden, too. Someone just gave me 2 Japanese tomato plants yesterday. I'm worried I'm going to kill them since I know nothing about them. Hope taking care of them is the same as the others. Of course, nothing is as good as a Jersey tomato.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:54 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Speaking of the birds....I went out last night to the garage to grab a screwdriver and level for a picture I'm hanging and the mother bird went crazy flapping her wings and flying in a circle. I nearly fainted. When I found the nest I had decided to use the front steps instead of the side steps so I wouldn't scare her off. Not thinking I used the side steps and obviously she was pretty ticked. My children and I looked up the type of bird yesterday on a website specifically for birds in NC. We have a White Winged Dove. She is tan with white on the tips of her wings. I found out that they are in the same family as the pigeon. The kids really enjoyed looking her up. I think we looked through 100 or more pictures before we found her. If I can get my oldest daughter(14)to take a picture of her, I'll post it.

Yesterday afternoon we planted some butterbeans that had soaked overnight and I was thinking of transplanting the lettuce and spinach I had started in a few pots. They are now pretty big and need more space. Looks like rain today and tomorrow so I'll wait 'til Sunday.

mega~ thanks for the advice with the tomato plants. I have 8 plants already planted in the garden. I also have some marigolds planted in a pot on my porch. Maybe I should plant them with the tomatoes.

FD~ I can't hardly wait until the egg hatches. She'll probably be more protective after the egg hatches, huh? What will I do if we have company and they walk up the side steps???

denny~ I've always wanted to see the japanese tomato. They say the tomatoes are medium,pear shaped and they are a blackish color. You take care of them just the same. Send a picture if they bear black fruit!! My curiosity is killing me.

Have a great day, y'all!!!
2many