Hi everyone....I'm new here.

Old 05-01-2006, 08:08 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks for the link. I went there and tried to download the book, but when the page loaded it said the webpage was no longer available. Not sure if I did something wrong or not.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:22 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
On a tear

I buckeye_gal, welcome to Sober Recovery (SR)...

You know, we are not so different from the addicts we love.

They don't find recovery until the pain of using/drinking is greater than the pain of NOT using/drinking.

We don't find recovery until the pain of living with/dealing with addicts/alcoholics is greater than the pain of learning how NOT to react to/becoming enmeshed with the alcoholic.

I have two addicts kids and live with a sober (no recovery) alcoholic. I did not get into Alanon when my own parents drank....I did not get into AA when I had my own drinking career.... I did not get into Alanon when I married an alcoholic, ..... and I did not get into Alanon (despite being advised to - many times) when my two children developed addiction.

I did not get into Alanon until I tried every trick, every control, every manipulation, every wise saying, every lock....every THING - and not a one made a difference in their drinking or using.

I was so depressed, I was sucidal. It was only THEN, that I was able to get my butt to Alanon on a regular basis and put MY efforts into working a 12-step program. It was only THEN that I was ready.

Perhaps today, you are not ready.... or maybe you are.

I do wish you well, and hope you can find the relief I found when I finally gave up trying to fix, control, manipulate and react to alcoholism and addiction.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:39 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

So much wonderful information here.....thanks to all of you!
Old 05-01-2006, 02:06 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I just spoke to him on the phone a little while ago. He said he has to go to court in the morning and take care of his warrant that he got for probation violation (due to a DUI), before they will accept him into rehab. The social worker at the hospital he is in, is gonna write a recomendation to the court. I don't know how much good it will do, but she is gonna do it.

So he may end up in jail after tomorrow morning. But he has to take care of old business before he can move on and get the help he needs.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:10 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Keep us posted on how things progress. Keeping my fingers crossed that your husband will be able to enter into a rehab facility soon and that you'll be able to spend the time that he's away focusing on your own recovery, finding an Alanon group in your area, posting on SR, and catching up on your new reading list.