Maturity

Old 04-26-2006, 09:12 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by denny57
The short answer always given is it is not a RELIGIOUS organization, but is a SPIRITUAL one.
I like the quote:

Religion is for people who are afraid of hell. Spirituality is for people who have been there!

Not sure who said it originally.

L
Old 04-26-2006, 09:57 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

For me it's not control over my life, it's control over my _choices_.

I can't control my poor health, but I can control whether I choose to follow doc's orders or not. I can't control my employer going broke, but I can control whether I keep my skills up to date with the occasional class.

Knowing _what_ I can control and what I can't is covered by the serenity prayer and it comes from wisdom. Wisdom, in turn, is a fringe benefit of maturity. One of the books refers to "maturity" as a "spiritual awakening" and the specific actions that get me there are the 12 steps.

Mike
Old 04-26-2006, 10:41 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DesertEyes
For me it's not control over my life, it's control over my _choices_.

I can't control my poor health, but I can control whether I choose to follow doc's orders or not. I can't control my employer going broke, but I can control whether I keep my skills up to date with the occasional class.

Knowing _what_ I can control and what I can't is covered by the serenity prayer and it comes from wisdom. Wisdom, in turn, is a fringe benefit of maturity. One of the books refers to "maturity" as a "spiritual awakening" and the specific actions that get me there are the 12 steps.

Mike
Same for me. Thanks, Mike.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:37 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks for the thread, Denny. And thanks for running with the idea about posting meeting topics. I was the one who posed the suggestion, but the only meeting I've managed to get to recently has been on Tradition 8 - hard enough to keep that one going IRL, never mind on here!!

To me, maturity relates to a way of being that recognises that I am me, you are you, he is him etc etc, and finds a way to have a successful life within that framework. By success, I mean that I am living (or working towards) the life I choose without compromising that of someone else.

And that is why I view boundaries and detachment to be at the heart of my recovery - for me, once I understood those 2 concepts, my life became lighter and I had so much more freedom. And so did those around me.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:32 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
One brief hour...

* Seeing that life is a blessing.
Thanks for sharing Denny and for me, that one is my favorite. I am such a firm believer that every moment we have in life is a precious gift. Life is so incredibly fragile and although my problems may seem "earth-shattering" to me at times, there is MUCH more that I have to be grateful for than regretful of. One of those things is that I'm here right at this moment able to type this.