Sad News Story

Old 04-22-2006, 03:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sad News Story

Driving home yesterday on the news, there was a story about 2 kids who got hit by a car and were killed.

Like so many here, this is such a great fear for us which leaves us caught up in "co-dependent" mode.

Two cousins were walking in their neighborhood (it was a wonderful evening for a walk and hanging out). A car went by and hit them, killing them both instantly.

Seems, the guy that hit and killed them didn't even know it, but they found him and arrested him. BEFORE he even got behind the wheel of his car he bought a pint of vodka and drank it BEFORE he got to his destination, THE BAR!

Now I don't know if this man is an alcoholic, I'll go out on a limb and say he probably has an alcohol problem to say the least. He's been charged with 2 counts of Vehicular manslaughter. The police said when they arrested him he couldn't even stand up or make any sense when he was talking.

I hate the fact that I have to worry about my kids when they are out playing and I live in quite a rural area, but there are a lot of bars around here that people drive to, heck, that I drive to occasionally, and have to drive through here to get home.

So 2 young boys are dead, 2 families devastated beyond belief I'm sure and one drunk who didn't even know what happened ..... sigh.

The driver is only 44 years old.
Old 04-22-2006, 05:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ICU

Judy,

If it's the same story, and I believe it is, it was 2 girls that were killed. UGH...what those families must be going through, suffering with 2 deaths! My heart goes out to them.

That is why I regret not alerting the police whenever my ex drove drunk. I know it's been a controversial discussion here in the past, but personally, if I knew that man had been drinking like that, and didn't alert the authorities, I don't know if I could live with myself knowing that 2 girls are dead, and I 'might have' been enable to save their lives.

I bet the families of these girls are wishing that someone would have intervened!

Did you happen to hear how they caught this man? Were there witnesses?
Old 04-22-2006, 05:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It was in Kinnelon, NJ ... come to think of it they didn't say if it was two boys or two girls ... just two cousins. I made the assumption it was boys duh!

No, I didn't hear how they found him or caught him .......

Like you, I would always want to call the police, but at that time I never did, so I can completely understand the hesitancy in doing so.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Here in the Chicago area within the last week I have heard of 3
such incidents involving small children around the ages of 6.
Driver hits the child and takes off leaving the child to die in the
street while siblings and neighbors stand in shock.
There was no mention of alcohol as these were hit and runs, but
one can only imagine the worst here.
I haven't heard of any updates as of yet on these 3 seperate incidences
and may not, especially if the drivers were in a black out state and
don't even remember it happening....wonder what they thought when
the saw ther autos the next day with the front ends all banged up....