To date or not to date.......

Old 04-21-2006, 09:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

To date or not to date.......

My counselor asked me today if I was dating. She thinks it would be a good idea. I pointed out to her the fact that I am not divorced. It has been 8 months since I separated from my husband. She thinks that I may not be ready to let the marriage go. And she may be right. But still is of the opinion that I should explore what else is out there.

I have very mixed feelings about this. I do think that if my husband were to win me back, it would have to be on a level playing field of any other offers. Not that there are any other offers at this point, because I have not made myself available to other offers.

If I were to follow her suggestion, where would I find potential dates? I have been out of the dating scene for well over 20 years. I have to admit that I have had thoughts about seeing other men, but these are only thoughts. How would I find someone who is interested in a 43 year old woman with two children? It boggles my mind. I live in a very small community, and the choices seem quite limited. I guess I have recently told myself that getting a healthy attitude and moving ahead with my life would eventually attract someone I wanted to see. Actually seeking out potential dates scares the crap out of me.

Anyone out there with experience care to share???

L
Old 04-21-2006, 11:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Are you sure 8 months is long enough?

My sponsor in Alanon asked me to take a year off dating after my exabf to work the program and work on myself..kind of glad I did..

I'm 37..and for 20 years I've been dating unavailable men..emotionally unavailable, controlling etc..

It was what I was used to - pretty much modelled after dear old mum and dad..

Also - I wasn't healthy yet so I didn't attract or wasn't interested in healthy men..

Do you have a list of attributes you are looking for? As my sponsor told me - you need to be that person before you can meet that person.

I think there is some truth to that..The healthier you get the healthier man you will attract..

I did a lot of self-help/therapy/life coaching before I came into Alanon and it was the last relationship in a long line of alcoholics that brought me to my knees..

About a year after not dating I met this guy at work..Not my type..well turns out..he was what I truly was looking for..committed, loving, kind, generous, funny..

in short..A NICE GUY..(not my type..) well today he's my type..we've been together for 10 months and we have a great relationship.

We are going to start pre-marital counseling soon because we both want to identify any areas that could be a problem should we get married..

I guess I'm of the "work on yourself and eventually the right guy will show up when you are ready..

If you aren't ready..don't force it..surprised your counselor recommended it since you are not even divorced..hmmm..that doesn't sound right to me but what do I know..

I truly believe you have to be happy alone and in your own skin before going into another relationship..it worked for me..I was ok with where I was..
Old 04-21-2006, 11:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
The storm is over now

Try Online Dating........i U Ignore The Perverts U May Find Ddecent People
Old 04-21-2006, 11:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

BTDT...

If your picker is broken, you'll still pick an unhealthy one..
Old 04-21-2006, 11:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
The storm is over now

Good Advice. How Do U Not B A Picker?
Old 04-22-2006, 05:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

HS, when your "picker" is broken that usually means that in a room full of "normal" people you will zero in and be attracted to the one "sick" person in there. You're not "being" a picker, but what you use to pick people is broken.

My picker has been broken from the very start. Hopefully as I continue to work on my recovery my picker will get better as well.

Hugs,
Kellye
Old 04-22-2006, 05:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

MY advice about you dating now........one word: NO. JMHO

Even if you had just been dating, I would say no, for now. The fact that you are still married.......well; take some time for yourself. If you are questioning it, that should be your answer,IMHO.
Counselors can give bad advice,too. My sister had one tell her a few weeks after rehab (in that case,detox) to start dating, meeting people online,etc as her form of "recovery". My sister relapsed and went into real treatment after that and got counselors who advised no major life changes for at least a year or two....she is doing much better now.

I think the same "rule" applies to our recoveries,too. Even if alcoholism wasn't in the picture, I think a time of grief and healing from the end of your marriage is also a good idea. (I'm in the same position,too)
Old 04-22-2006, 05:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi,

My experience, strength and hope on this is, we need a time to recover for ourselves and 8 months probably isn't long enough.

In A.A it's a year to two years and even longer. We need time to heal what's in us before we are capable of entering another relationship.

Basically we have to work on becoming healthy in order to attract healthy people.

Personally if I was single I wouldn't even attempt to start dating because there are so many wierdos out there and as far as on-line dating that would be too wierd.

Ngaire
Old 04-22-2006, 06:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Originally Posted by LaTeeDa
Anyone out there with experience care to share???
Sure, LOL!!! Some friends tried to "set me up" last fall and I had no motivation... AT ALL! I tried eHarmony a few months back and quit after two lunch "meetings". I gotta have sparks and they just aren't flying right now.
It's been over a year and a half and I'm still in no mood for either the search or the chase! My attempts at "getting out there" only caused me more stress at a time when I needed that like a hole in the head.

How would your H feel about you dating while separated? Or your kids? Hard to keep that stuff a secret from kids. And what they know will surly get back to your H. I would think it might only add to the stress/drama level right now.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
My experience of “getting out there” before I was ready just made me reluctant to “get out there” when I am ready, (when ever that will be). But on the upside my life is very uncomplicated right now and it's a welcome change
Old 04-22-2006, 07:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

...and even when you think you might be ready that could be a sign of red flags... just be gentle with yourself...
Old 04-22-2006, 07:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey LaTeDa....

LOL if you read some of my posts starting in late October when I first
started the dating thing you will see some of my experiences....
My exabf and I were apart 6 months when I started looking around.
I started with Match.com met a couple of nice guys but not for me.
One had small children the other too many health issues, things
I had put on my list of acceptable and unacceptable.
Put the brakes on the whole thing for awile then recently started
"recycling" you know men I used to date. I have gone out with one
the last couple of weeks that I used to see. He was possessive and
controlling 4.5 years ago, since he seems to have changed considerably.
Perhaps he found out that no one healthy will accept that type of
behaviour. Really, I don't feel completely ready, just kind of testing
the waters if you will.
I have a couple of friends that used EHarmony and have had great
experiences with that site.
I am not in a hurry there is so much going on in my life right now, but
it is nice to go out with a male adult sometimes for dinner and conversation.
As to finding men, the only place I have been able in on dating sites...
I refuse to date a man I meet in a bar...forget that meet them at the grocery
store idea....the way I look when I go there even the produce guy wouldn't
look....LOL
Take it slow and set your boundry's and make a list of what you will accept
or not....Summer is coming maybe you will meet someone nice at the beach
while your kids are building a sandcastle...just a thought...but trust me I know
where you are coming from...and it ain't easy......Hugs
Old 04-22-2006, 08:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wonderful thread gang, thanx all.

As a newly single guy with lots of health issues I am very interested in ya'll's opinions

On the advice of many good friends in my f2f meets I'm taking it _very_ slow. My objective is _not_ to find another soulmate with which to live happily ever after. My objective is to _be_ a soulmate.

I can't get there from here. I am still attracted to "emotionally unavailable" women who are not attracted to me. Echoes of my childhood, no doubt. What I am doing is making new friends. Just friends. Paricularly with other members of the program who are also in a similar emotional place as me. We go out with the clear understanding that we are _both_ not ready for relationship or commitment.

Whadya know, these friends I'm making are plenty "emotionally unavailable" themselves. This tells me two things; that I am not yet able to "see" healthy people, and that _I_ must be "emotionally unavailable". Because of my health issues I am also a little spooked of getting involved with "codies in denial". I do need some help with daily activities, but I don't need a control freak who wants to take over.

Considering how "burned" I am after a 20yr marriage ending due to addiction and infidelity I can see how i am unconsciously putting up "walls" even with a simple friendship. In addition, my marriage brought me a _lot_ of good and wonderful times before the addiction took over. In the back of my mind I have that wonderful partner with whom I built a solid relationship for two decades as a yardstick. It is very hard for me to see how I could ever get that lucky again.

I'm going to find my next soulmate amongst the people I call friends, not a stranger off some dating service. That means that I have to keep working on my "friend skills" for awhile.

Mike :-)
Old 04-22-2006, 08:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That means that I have to keep working on my "friend skills" for awhile.
Is there a more vital skill? There's nothing I would swap my friendship with D for - not partnership, not promises, not a single thing that's worth MORE. If there's a better more durable kind of love than friendship I've yet to see it.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wow Mike kind of a put down....
Nothing wrong with dating sites....
Many have been very successful.
In my particular situation meeting men at work is not an option
I am the "only" one in my office.
Not interested in meeting men in any group situations to be honest
not for me.
The circle of friends I have is small and everyone is "accounted for."
I do agree however, that friends first is a great place to start, but
we were all "strangers" before we met.....
Old 04-22-2006, 08:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

As far as my counselor goes, I think she is just trying to plant the seed. Maybe even trying to get me to look at my fence sitting and decide what I want. She also counsels my children, so I wouldn't think it would be anything to keep secret from them. I really don't think I would be comfortable dating until the divorce is filed, at least. And I'm not going to file until after I buy a house, so that will be another month and a half.

I am also of the mind that if I work on me and do things I enjoy, then I am more likely to meet someone who shares my interests. Online dating does seem a little weird, but I've never tried it so how would I know? LOL

Side note, one of the houses I am seriously considering is an 1890's victorian that needs a fair amount of work/restoration. So, if that happens, there will be lots of burly construction workers in my future.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Now you're talking construction workers....yum....LOL
I love Victorians too, however they are out of my price range.....
Old 04-22-2006, 08:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Side note, one of the houses I am seriously considering is an 1890's victorian that needs a fair amount of work/restoration.
That's about 10 years older than mine! How's your plastering? I once unscrewed the banister at my friend's similar age house to help paint. As I removed the screw I started an avalanch!!! (left a hole the size of a small table!).
Old 04-22-2006, 08:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DesertEyes
In the back of my mind I have that wonderful partner with whom I built a solid relationship for two decades as a yardstick. It is very hard for me to see how I could ever get that lucky again.
I agree with 99% of your post, but I DO see how I'm going to get that lucky again - because the common theme will be ME - LOL. Seriously, Al-Anon, therapy and SR have helped me believe I will have a healthy relationship in the future. I'm not rushing it, though. I don't want to bring anyone into the drama that I believe my divorce may become.

I have met some very nice guys these last months and I'm hoping a couple of them will still be around when I'm ready. If not, fingers crossed one will enter my life eventually, if it's meant to be.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Patty, the only reason this one is in my price range is because it needs so much work.

Equus, I guess I will have to learn plastering. And I will have a whole house to practice on!

L
Old 04-22-2006, 09:04 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Good luck on getting that home..sounds wonderful.
I am not good at all at plastering....unfortunately.
Everything I have done in my condo is contracted out...
Maybe I should take a class in home repairs...
Hey that might be a great place to meet single men....
Never know