Genetics

Old 04-17-2006, 07:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Genetics

I know for myself and I am sure for many others there is a constant debate of whether alcoholism and/or addiction is hereditary? I truly fear for my granddaughters and my nephews and niece.

So here's the latest:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0417013630.htm

Somehow, being part Indian and knowing my family history of alcoholism (learning most of it AFTER I got sober) this does not surprise me, just one more bit of information to add to my library.

I thought maybe some of the friends and family of alkies, especially those contemplating children or who already have children might be interested.

Love and (((((to all))))),
Old 04-17-2006, 08:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

I had concerns about that also Laurie. I know its in my familys genes, I am part Indian (Choctaw) also, but my English and Dutch side has its fair share as well. Giving my children my genes alone are a scary thought...
Old 04-17-2006, 08:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think it is heriditary, BUT I think you still CHOSE that path. My Dad drank, my uncle complete alcoholic died of alcoholism, his 2 sons are drunks, one recovering now. My Dad's half brothers/sisters drink and now one of their kids has died due to addiction. I am not a drinker, and make choices. My Aunt as well is not a drinker.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

OR, Just my thought on genetics, haven't read the link above yet. I feel some of us do not pick up this gene, just as some do not pick up the weakness for heart disease, or diabete etc. The ones withut the gene can make choices, like the ones with the genes might make the choice to never ever take a drink. However if they try to be social drinkers they may be at high risk.

This is just my thoughts, take what you can use and leave the rest.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Well Clancy I can only share from my own experience. I was allowed at 12 years old to start drinking at home. Why, my mother's reasoning was.......I was fully developed, this was 1957, and my mom didn't want some guy to be able to take me out and get me drunk and do what he wanted. She wanted me to learn how to control and enjoy my drinking.

Yeah right. By the time I realized there was a problem, I was in my late 20's. I spent 24 years trying to learn how to control and enjoy my drinking and it NEVER HAPPENED. I could control, sometimes, and I could enjoy, most times, but not at the same time.

Now my sister who is 11 years younger than me, saw what was happening to me and to my dad, she ran away at 16 and lived in the Keys in Florida for 6 months. When she came home, she never drank or used a drug again. She wouldn't even have alcohol at her own wedding. To this day, she will not say what happened, but it certainly got through to her.

A choice???? sometimes, sometimes not. It can jump out and bite you in the azz quicker than the blink of an eye.

I just do not believe that "choice" is always an option.

JMHO

Love and (((((to all))))),
Old 04-17-2006, 10:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Indians,ie) Native Americans do have a reputation of having a fondness for alcohol. In fact, Native American genetic biology tells us that they actually lack an enzyme that effects the break down of alcohol into the system. Similarly, Why don't mexicans get ulcers? They have the lowest incidence of peptic ulcers and eat the spicest food. They too have an ethinic boiological disposition that prevetns it.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

The article said certain people were gentically at risk.

Im at risk for alot of things. Im at risk for breast cancer, cardiovascular disease, and high cholesterol due to my genetics.

So, I avoid things that would increase those risks. If I eat butter and eggs all day long, and end up with high cholesterol and have coronary damage, its my fault for eating that way, not just a fluke genetic disease.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How reassuring considering everyone in my family is nuts.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Being Genetic or not. Would that matter what we are all going through and what we need to do to take care of ourselves?
No matter where these A's come from, I do feel sorry for them and still love them. That is why I am still around my AH who could get away with "murder"
When people have other diseases.... we dont first think of where it came from... we look for the cure and the help for us caregivers, (co-dependents, enablers) involved.
Dang! I wish there were more we could do about this like a 'real" disease?
Old 04-17-2006, 12:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Chy

Originally Posted by KarenM
Being Genetic or not. Would that matter what we are all going through and what we need to do to take care of ourselves?
No matter where these A's come from, I do feel sorry for them and still love them. ?
No don't feel sorry please! I'm of the belief it's partially genetic. But please don't feel sorry for me as some is also my choice. I'm in earnest when I say I'm a grateful alcoholic. Because I'm an alcoholic by choice or genetics, I've been blessed with a beautiful fullfilling life in recovery.

Some just take longer at getting here and no one should ever feel sorry for us, we're not at all helpless just unwilling until the time is right.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
On a tear

Thanks for the link, Laurie - I remember reading the article (because I am Cherokee on dad's side and Irish on mom's.... both cultures well-steeped in alcoholism).

Some of the folks I love best are alcoholic/addicts... almost all of them, I think. There isn't a one that I would wish had never been born....not even those who hurt me (though I really could get into a thread on REVENGE, let me tell ya).

I am an alcoholic, and I am pretty grateful my mom did not decide that her genetic background was unfit for reproduction. And I knew I came from alcoholism, married it and that his background was similar to mine. At the time we had children, however, we both thought it was entirely environmental (though I hadn't thought it all the way through at the time), so we quit drinking and smoking in order to "break the cycle".

That didn't work. Imagine that.

I have had some terrible, awful times. I do not believe my life would have been better without my experiences around alcohol, OR that I would have turned out to be a better person.

I don't particularly believe that it would have been significantly different.

No one I know, is absolutely certain about how "all this" works. What I happen to believe is that this life IS the one I needed to have. I believe there were/are lessons I desired to learn, and challenges I accepted in order to learn those lessons. Alcoholism in my life facilitates that.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Both of my parents are alcoholics. I'm Irish/Welsh/Scottish/French-Canadian. Sounds like I'm pretty much doomed, genetically-speaking.

However, I'm a strong believer that we are not always necessarily a slave to our genes. We may inherit the tendency toward something, but it may or may not fully develop. Just as you may inherit the tendency toward depression - you may never develop depression.

I have never been much of a drinker. I enjoy a drink or two on a rare occasion (a couple times a year), and that's it. I think articles like that need to be written AND read carefully.

JMO
Old 04-17-2006, 03:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've read that 80-90% of Native Americans are alcoholic. That's such a huge number that it makes me wonder about the few who aren't alcoholic... did they just know better than to pick up the bottle to begin with? My husband is Mexican from back in the days when California to Colorado were part of Mexico... he's mostly Apache and Comanche. That makes my boys genetics nearly 1/2 Native American. They know their father is alcoholic and I'm raising them to understand that they are at risk for alcoholism. I'm not aware of any alcoholism in my family history. There was plenty of experimental drug use (think California 60s/70s) but I'm not aware of any addiction(other than chocolate). Growing up, I was allowed to use drugs (not on school nights and I wasn't allowed to take any from strangers) but I really had very little interest in drugs once I tried them. Now, after reading the stories of people here, I know how lucky I am.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

How reassuring considering everyone in my family is nuts.

lol....same here, and that is exactly why I decided long ago to not have kids!