A Mom's Dream Come True - My Son Is In Jail

Old 01-30-2003, 06:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

A Mom's Dream Come True - My Son Is In Jail

I have been praying for another miracle for my son, and I must say God works in the strangest ways sometimes, but I am truly grateful.

He called tonight...only had 30 seconds to talk so asked me to listen and that he'd call again tomorrow night.

He said" I'm in jail, I'm okay, and I'm going back into a rehab program next Monday. Just wanted you to know that I am okay and that I am really going to try again with all my heart."

I have no idea what he did, probably possession or shoplifting, and I am grateful that he didn't call for me to bail him out or get him a lawyer (legal aid will provide one in his situation), and somehow he has turned this lemon into lemonade. I'm sure that rehab is a condition of his release, and this time I am not the enforcer. Yeahh!!

I can't believe a mother can get excited because her son is no longer in the shelter but is now in jail. . But I know that many of you here truly understand what wonderful news this is.
I'm laughing to myself, because I forgot to ask him which jail he is in (Toronto has several). I don't care. Any old jail will do.

Just needed to share that.
Old 01-30-2003, 06:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Ann,

You kill me! No nerf bat, no skillet, just gratitude. Is it in the scones? Or is it the coffee?

Whatever it is you are inspiring!

((((((Hugs)))))))
JT
Old 01-30-2003, 06:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Don't forget JT, that I have kept my recovery helmet on through all this....and YOU are the keeper of the helmets .

Nope - no bats, no skillets, maybe a bunny slipper kick in the butt,
but I feel so good.

Would anyone in their right mind understand a prayer that goes "thank you God for letting my son graduate from a shelter to jail"? And the truth is, I have no idea if this next rehab will work any better for him...ahhh but I have faith and that takes it out of my hands.

Yup, I have my helmet in place, and don't even need the jujubes right now.
Old 01-30-2003, 06:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

God love you ann

I'm glad that this news is comforting to you. I hope that this is the path to recovery that your son needs. In the meantime, I would keep the jujubes handy (on an "in case of emergency" type basis). Lots of prayers and hope from me to you that this is the beginning of the healing for your son.
Peace,
Gabe
Old 01-30-2003, 06:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Jon
But Very, Very Bruisable...

Don't you ever forget our talk, sweet lady. Some get it the first time, but there are addicts like me who take years to get that first year. When it happens, it happens. In God's time, not ours.

I have complete faith in your son's ability to make it. I have that faith because he is no better, worse or different than me. If I'm a miracle, so is he...
Old 01-30-2003, 06:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dear Ann -

All I can think of is Good Grief - keeping track of these guys is like playing musical chairs. They're in, they're out, they're here, they're there. I can relate to the excitement of watching my son graduate from the streets to jail to rehab. Who would've ever thunk?

Glad your head and heart are in such a great place and I truly hope your son finds his way.

hugs,

deedee
Old 01-30-2003, 07:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well, it takes what it takes. I do hope he gets it this time. Like Jon said sometimes it takes people many many tries to get that first year. I know a lot of people like this who are sober today that came in and out of recovery countless times. Keep the faith, it's definitely working for you. You're both in my prayers
Old 01-30-2003, 07:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Gabe and Deedee - Hugs and thank you.

And Jon...I will never forget our talk. You reminded me that miracles happen every day, and I truly believe that. You are a perfect example and I am so grateful that you share so openly with us. It's people like you and other recovering addicts on this board that help me keep the faith.

I think that the fact that my son just never gives up trying, no matter how many times he fails, gives me reason to believe that the miracle has already begun.

Love you all!!
Old 01-31-2003, 12:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Grace Under Fire

Anns,
I am really impressed that your son
keeps trying!
When my youngest first went to jail,
I was so worried about the court thing
going on, but not him being in jail-it
was a godsend. It's amazing what we are
thankful for.
When I started getting the "weebie jeebies" is when he was getting OUT OF JAIL.
My prayers are with you-I am so thankful
he is trying again.

Hugs and love,
Old 01-31-2003, 04:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

dear ann,
you are an amazing women , and i don't know how you made it this far, but u too have turned the lemons into lemonade, and you're faith and love are truly inspiring, and i do understand where you're at with the relief and hope for this time. miracles do happen and you and son are in my prayers
hugs from sugar
Old 01-31-2003, 05:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Praise God!

I'm so happy for you Anns. You've been in my prayers.

Lyn
Old 01-31-2003, 07:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

Anns, Anns, Anns, Anns, Anns!!!! Could you just move in with me so some of your FABULOUS Al Anon traits could rub off on me???????????

Seriously, I do know exactly how you feel about him being somewhere safe, even if it IS jail. Before we became totally aware of the seriousness of our daughther's problem, thinking my daughter might have to be in a treatment center was THE WORST THING I COULD EVER imagine. But as time went on, there were days I WISHED for her to be somewhere where I knew she was safe. Oh yes, Anns, so many of us can identify.

I'm so glad your son has some 'oomph' (for lack of a fancier 50 cent word... ) left in him. He DOES want sobriety and, by dern, I admire him for saying he's going to try again.

Darn Anns, these kids (even if they are ADULTS!). We can't live with 'em and we can't live without 'em! All we can do is exactly what you've done. AND DONE BEAUTIFULLY I MIGHT ADD!

You're such an inspiration! We are keeping you and your son in our prayers.
Old 01-31-2003, 07:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

(((((Ann))))) Yes, God works in mysterious ways. To be able to keep a sense of humour throughout it all is a miracle in itself. Your son has courage, Ann, and it's obvious where he learned it from. I will continue to keep you all in my prayers.

Love and hugs.
Old 01-31-2003, 08:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
mo

Anns Wonderful news. .it is all about those consequences!! Take care Mo
Old 01-31-2003, 03:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Learning to love life...

You put the biggest smile on my face...
My prayers are with you.
Meg
Old 02-02-2003, 06:34 AM