new kid

Old 01-30-2003, 07:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Unhappy new kid

I am new to this forum and am already feeling better by reading some of the posts. Both my husband and my 17 year old son are alcoholics. I have been married for 23 years and feel that I have sacrificed my 3 children's happiness to my inability to leave my husband. My 2 boys seem to be in so much pain and I don;t know how to help them. My 17 tear old wrecked his car this weekend while driving drunk, yet he still refuses treatment. Unfortunately, in the state of LA, he is considered of legal age to decide whether treatment is necessary or not. I don't know what to do with or about him. Any suggestions?
Old 01-30-2003, 11:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

Hi (((Natalie)))
let me first of all welcome you. I havent been here too
long myself but it is a great place for feeling the love and concern
of all those who have been hurt and confused by the actions
of a loved ones drinking.Some of us still live with the alcoholic
some have left but for myself I have found a hope that wasnt there before, when I was busy trying to save the
alcoholics close to me and of cource found out I could not,it is a disease
and until they decide to do something about it we are
powerless to make it happen.
powerless but not helpless, I have been in alanon 8mths now
and it truely saved my sanity.
I am learning for myself that I need to physicaly be around
others in the program (alanon) as the alcoholic needs to be around other alcoholics to keep himself sober for me its to keep
myself sane. This truely is a good start but do try and find a
group and go, it will be the best thing you have ever done for yourself Natalie.
We love our children I would of layed in front of a truck if it would of meant saving my own but having done all but that , all I was able to do was get sicker myself and not much good to anyone.

your in my prayers
love liddy
Old 01-30-2003, 03:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Natalia

First of all, I'm sorry that you are going through a double dose of this. It must be very hard. I have found that there isn't much you can do for an alcoholic who isn't willing to seek help. I know that must be very difficult to digest when it comes to your son who is drinking. Your other son might benefit from Alateen meetings. They were very helpful to me when I was in high school and dealing with my alcoholic mother. Maybe you could find a place where they have and Alanon and Alateen meeting on the same night and go together. This is a very frustrating and painful disease to deal with. But one step at a time, we can all find a way to a saner life. Big hugs to you and your family. Keep coming back.
Peace,
Gabe