Question????

Old 04-03-2006, 06:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question????

Does anyone know if stomach problems can come from drinking? I know this may sound dumb but "A" has frequent bouts with stomach problems (neasua, diareaha). It happens if he drinks a little or a lot so I cant say it only happens if he drinks a lot. It seems to last @ 2 days every time.
It could be totally unrelated but Im just curious if it could be related.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

When my daughter's drinking was at it's worst last year, she took a vitamin pill I gave her. A few day later she told me it came right out the other end, undigested... That really freaked her out...Severe alcohol consumption causes many health problems, including problems with digestion.

I am curious, how long has he been drinking?
Old 04-03-2006, 07:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, definitely.

Love Jo
Old 04-03-2006, 07:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hes been drinking @ 20 years
Old 04-03-2006, 07:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

Heavy alcohol consumption over that many years will do some physical damage.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
alcohol-kicked-my butt

im laura--alcoholic--
alcohol can and will eventually cause vomiting blood severe stomach problems horrible vomiting and terriblrre diarrea--i woul get diareea in the last yrs of drinking after just one drink--in the last months it is not uncommon to lose control of your bowels and basically pass out in your own waste--i dont mean to be groos but maybe your hubbie can read this and see what hes in for if he has not fully experienced it yet--he can also have a esophageal hemmorage--raw stomach lining--and 100's of other physical probs--take care--i hope your hubbie can come around before he gets too sick
Laura
Old 04-03-2006, 08:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My AH has suffered with stomach problems for years, as well as other intestinal ailments. He refused to blame it on drinking, even when he started having unexplained bleeding. There is a lot of good info out there on this and you can also ask your doctor. Good luck.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had LOTS of stomach issues when I was drinking. Funny after detox most of them went away!
Old 04-03-2006, 11:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My ah lives on rolaids and always has bloating and belching whenever he eats. Has been drinking for 35 + years.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Not a bad place to be....

My AH had stomach problems too. I'm sure along with the alcohol, it had a lot more to do with the guilt he was feeling and trying to keep up with all the lies he was telling people everyday. He often exaggerated things about his life and would forget who he told what to. I think he stayed so nervous about those sort of things. That would mess my stomach up, I'm sure.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Mine has problems too. Almost daily diarrhea that he blames on all the spicy food he eats, blood in it when it's regular, etc. He's lost control of it at least twice too.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
One brief hour...

Yes, it is VERY common. My AH thought he had IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) b/c of his constant diarrhea. Although he still drinks, he drinks about half of what he used to everyday and has had a lot of improvement in that department. It was not IBS, just beer poops. He also lives on Pepcid. He's been checked for ulcers, but none thus far.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by megamysterioso
It was not IBS, just beer poops.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well today is day 3 with the diarrhea for him! I told him last night that I didnt think he had a bug and I think its from drinking. He said "YOU DO" REALLY.... He said but saturday I only had 5 beers.. DUH.... he cant be that dumb can he???????? I think he knows it could be from drinking but wont admit it. He swares its a bug or somthing he ate. Hes been taking Imodiam for 2 days and its not helping at all..
Old 04-04-2006, 06:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am pretty sure my AH has had lots of digestive problems related to his drinking, but I know for a FACT that I had lots of stomach problems from HIS drinking,too before I get here and to other places to help me!
Old 04-04-2006, 06:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
One brief hour...

LOL- Immodiam AD- don't I know that drug all too well! Going to the store to pick up lettuce or something and AH, "don't forget my Immodiam!" LOL

He's not stupid, only in denial. My AH used to always REFUTE any suggestions I made about drinking affecting his stomach probs. It was only until he saw it for himself that he admitted the connection. Don't waste your breath even trying to convince him. Sad but true.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

When I asked my ah why his has indigestion problems, he just states he's had them all his life. DUH, he's been drinking all his life -- LOL!
Old 04-05-2006, 06:12 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Today is day 4 hes feeling like crap (literally..LOL). Hes trying to get a doctors appt. I want to tell him to be sure to tell the doc hes a drinker so they wont just tell him he has a virus but decided to keep my mouth shut. Part of me wants them to find that this is due to his drinking so it will make him think about what hes doing to himself. I know that sounds so mean but maybe it would wake him up.. Probably not!!!
I decided to keep quiet and go about my day...
Old 04-05-2006, 06:27 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
One brief hour...

Today is day 4 hes feeling like crap (literally..LOL).
LOL--that's good. You know-- my hubby and I must have seen at least 3 docs regarding his supposed "IBS" and each time, I filled out the paperwork b/c AH hates to do stuff like that. He had no reservations about me being honest about his drinking. I put on those forms: How many drinks do you have per week?? "100+"

Can you believe that it was NOT until we saw his 3rd doctor that the drinking was even addressed???? The first two actually treated it like a legit case! I was baffled, so I don't know that it would even do any good to tell them.