Eeeek! Help! :)

Old 03-29-2006, 11:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Eeeek! Help! :)

OK, so I got a job offer today. Holy S*&#!
Unfortunately, it's not that much. It's $7K more than my current job, but it's certainly not what salary.com was coming in at.
What do you people know about salary negotiations?
Old 03-29-2006, 12:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

I was told to never ask for a specific amount, but to give them a range encompassing the lowest you will accept to the highest you think is reasonable for your qualifications.

Employer: "what is your salary requirement?"
Answer: "37 - 42 k" (insert your salary range)

That will give both sides some flexibility in the negotiations.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Refresh my memory...How far is this job from where you currently live?
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats!!!

Before talking about salary, I have to ask if you want the job. Because if you don't, then there's no point in wasting their time if you're going to turn it down anyway. Best to stay on the right side of them in case you apply to them in the future.
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats TG! $7000 is nothing to sneeze at. I forget the figures you gave before, but there is always room to negotiate

Here are some tips. And they probably have more on salary.com

* Do make sure you’ve done your research on the salary you should expect for the position you’re seeking. And do use sources such as salary.com and others.

* Don't bring up salary before the employer does. And do delay salary negotiation for as long as possible (until you know exactly what the position entails).

* Do be aware of your strengths and achievements. And do be sure to demonstrate the value you’ll bring to the employer.

* Do let the employer make the first salary offer. And do, if asked, say you expect a salary that is competitive with the market - or give a salary range that you find acceptable.

* Don't inflate your current earnings just to get a higher salary offer.

* Don't feel obligated to accept the first salary offer. And do negotiate salary if the offer made is inadequate.

* Don't get overly aggressive in negotiating the salary you want.

* Don't just focus on salary. Do look at the entire compensation package.

* Do try to obtain other concessions (shorter review time, better title, better workspace) or benefits (bonuses, vacation time) if you aren’t successful at negotiating a salary you want.

* Don't enter salary negotiations as part of an ego trip or part of a game.

* Don't accept the first acceptable salary offer you receive if you’re not sure about the job or the company.

* Do get the offer in writing.

Old 03-29-2006, 12:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Robin, they never asked my range.

Patty, it's a 50 minute drive in no traffic. Traffic makes it about 1 hour.

Minnie, THANKS! As for do I want it...I like the sound of the job. If you're really asking if I'm ready to leave, whether I am or not, I could technically commute for a bit until I'm sure (though I would prefer not to do that).
Old 03-29-2006, 12:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
One brief hour...

Congrats TG!!!!! That is wonderful news. I agree that 7K is nothing to disregard. Are the benefits good? Does the location of the job have a higher standard of living which negates the 7K "raise"?
Old 03-29-2006, 12:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
One brief hour...

Ok- so this place is driving distance- probably not much of a difference in cost of living.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Denny & Mega,
Either way, the $7K wouldn't show up...
commuting would cost about $5K or so per year, and moving out would cost me my rent and bills (about $7500)
Old 03-29-2006, 12:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

50 minutes is nothing....here in the big city it is typical for people to
commute in excess of 90 minutes.....if the job is a step up and you
really want it the drive would be worth it....
Old 03-29-2006, 12:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

First of all CONGRATULATIONS!!!

It might be a pain in the bum figuring out what to do but YAY for having the choices to make!
Old 03-29-2006, 12:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Consider what Minnie said too....Don't burn your bridges it's a small world....
Old 03-29-2006, 12:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

90 minutes!!! WHAT? In my current job, I have to be here at 8. I leave my house at 7:57.

Thanks, E. How positive...it is nice to have choices.

As for commuting...if I did that, I would lose 2 hours per day, and I wouldn't gain financially. I might gain in experience or promotability, but I don't know.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ok so commuting is out of the question it would seem....

Let's back this up to a few weeks ago....
Tell me again ...Why did you apply for this job
and why did you go on 2 interviews?
Are you even interested in it anymore.....
If they offered you $100,000 a year would that make a difference at this point?
Old 03-29-2006, 12:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Heck yeah $100K would make a difference! I might fly in for it for that much!

But this is why I asked about negotiations. If I could get more, it might make it worth it. It it crazy to ask for too much more? If it were a $100,000 job, asking for another $6000 wouldn't be that much. Asking for another $6000 at a, say $30,000 job, might be a lot (that wasn't the offer, just for the record).
Old 03-29-2006, 12:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

*laughs*

I drive 1 hour each way to and from work....

Think about the positives....

1. It gives me down time to have long talks with God, to think about things, just to be alone and transistion from work to home.

2. After working this position for a time period ... you would be in a better position, more promotable, more experience....

3. The raise in Salary will cover the increase if you decide to move and live on your own... actually without the commuite it might more then cover it.

4. If your not ready to leave now, you could do a slow transisition.... You start working there, start making friends there etc.... and if the time comes to move it will not be such a culture shock.

but most of all CONGRADS... now you have choices and that is what its all about!!!!
Old 03-29-2006, 12:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
One brief hour...

Well--- best of luck in making your decision TG. If you think you would love the job and there will be opportunity for future advancement which in turn would increase your pay, then don't let the current salary stand in your way!
Old 03-29-2006, 12:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

TG -

Congrats on the offer..

I think you've gotten some great advice..

Just know that there is ALWAYS room for negotiation..

I and L have both counteroffered and gotten an additional 5K or so in salary..there's also signing bonus options or moving costs..be creative..

Look..it's about what YOU think you are worth..if you are worth more..go for it..

I had a mentee of mine who was making $30K a year..she asked for 60K in her new job and got 50K...

she doesn't have a college degree and was going from an admin type position to a technical help desk type position..
Old 03-29-2006, 01:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

TG, congrats on the job offer. $7K is definately nothing to sneeze at.

Maybe you should go back and read some of your old posts. First, you needed proof of infidelity. You got it. Then you needed a job in another town. Now you have that, if you want it. Every time you get what you "need" you start finding ways to justify and rationalize staying anyway. Now it's a good job with more money, but not *enough* more money.

I encourage you to try and negotiate for more money if you feel you are worth it, and there is a chance you will get it. But, I fear this is just another way to rationalize staying. Good luck to you. I hope I am wrong.

L
Old 03-29-2006, 01:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You should talk to your family about it. They are really your face to face support system. They know your situation and can probably help you much better.

Salary.com is to be used as a yardstick .... from low to high end salary ranges. If they offered you on the lower end of that yardstick, then they are right in the ballpark.

Other things to consider, benefits, company perc's etc. All that needs to be added into your salary. Talk to your family or better yet, talk to your husband, he seems to be good with money or haven't you told him yet?