A thought from Dr. Laura

Old 03-29-2006, 08:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A thought from Dr. Laura

I love Dr. Laura. Sometimes she's extreme, but generally, her ideas are pretty good. The following is something she said. There were questions in between some of the sentences from the caller, but I didn't put them. Just thought I'd share.

All decisions come with ambivalence, so there’s nothing unusual there. Every correct thing we want to do when it’s a big change from what we’ve done makes us nervous. Nothing cataclysmic about that. It’s ambivalence*. Everybody has it with every decision they make. You don’t have to work yourself through it, you follow through with your plan. We women primarily make the following mistake: We think the emotions have to change before the actions can. And it’s not so. If that were so, then a fireman would wait three hours before running into a burning building. Because emotions would tell him, what am I an idiot? I’m going to get hurt.
Most of the time it will be OK on the other side. Some of the times, it won’t.
* ambivalence - The existence of mutually conflicting emotions or thoughts about a person, object, or idea.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

We women primarily make the following mistake: We think the emotions have to change before the actions can
that is SO true of how I think, thank you for this post!
Old 03-29-2006, 10:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
One brief hour...

Thanks for sharing this TG. I like Dr. Laura too and it's funny b/c I would not even consider myself a "right-winger." Most of her common sense advice is really good and she is very blunt which I like. Very no-nonsense.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ooooh, you guys, I just heard another good one. She's full of gems!

The caller said something to the effect of, "But I feel guilty. I feel guilty for not helping him."

Dr. Laura said the caller was telling herself, "As long as I can make myself not see this situation honestly, I can stay in it."
Old 03-29-2006, 12:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
One brief hour...

Ooooh- I DO like that one. She put that in a very cool way. Denial and self-deception is masked as guilt!
Old 03-29-2006, 01:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dr. Laura also states that in order for guilt to be valid, you have to have done something wrong, then feel remorse for it.
TG -- do you get her on the radio or computer? If computer, how?
Old 03-29-2006, 02:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Cat,
I get it over the computer. Go to drlaura.com. You have to subscribe and pay for it ($6.95/month), but I love her advice so much, I think it's worth it.

You can replay any of the episodes from the past month as well as listen to her current broadcast.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

We women primarily make the following mistake: We think the emotions have to change before the actions can.
I'm very guilty of this one. I'm working on accepting the "what is" part and not so much on how I feel towards/for ah. It's just not realistic when they don't seem to match.

"As long as I can make myself not see this situation honestly, I can stay in it."
I think this really and completely sums up the world of denial. We all justify their actions, make molehills out of mountains, take the blame to relieve them, etc. I feel that quote is really the truth in a lot of ways. I've been there - I've done it. And still have to stop myself sometimes when I feel myself going down that road again. It's denial, plain and simple.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks TG -- I will subscribe.