I Found My Son

Old 01-28-2003, 05:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I Found My Son

Just an update - it seems like the boards were down forever.

My son called Sunday night and he is alive and living at a shelter.
The good news was that he is alive. The shelter is at least clean and warm and they feed them there too. It seems like such a backslide for him....right from rehab to the streets. Sigh .

I just told him that I loved him and that he knew where to get help when he was ready. I asked him to call more often, and I will maybe go for a coffee with him on the weekend.

The old me would have hopped in the car and gone and brought him home. But the new me knows how futile that would be and that it would only prolong his addiction and bring the chaos into my home. Been there and done that. I also know that he is more likely to get serious about recovery by staying right where he is. So I just keep praying and turn this all over to God.

The shelter is run by the Salvation Army and they are a wonderful group and offer help getting into recovery programs for those who want it bad enough.
And for those who don't, they still keep a clean place and make sure they are warm and fed.

Anyway, I thank each and every one of you who have held my hand through this, and for all your prayers. Today's miracle is that he is alive. That's good enough for me.

Love you all!!!!
Old 01-28-2003, 05:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Ann.

Once again you're in that ironic position of being grateful for something most people would find horrifying. "My son's in a shelter... hooray!" Once I said "He's just in jail, thank God" outloud in front of a non-anoner. I didn't know eyebrows could go that high.

Anyway, I know you're relieved, but sad. And I have lots of hugs for you.

(((((((((((( Ann! )))))))))))))

Love,
Smoke
Old 01-28-2003, 05:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

******{Ann}}}}

You must be so relieved and sad at the same time. Some one is watching out for him and you. You are both in my thoughts and prayers.

Many hugs.
Love,
Debbie
Old 01-28-2003, 05:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I'm laughing at the eyebrow visual, Smoke. Non-Anoners just have no idea.

Some of the girls in my office watch shows like "Survivor" and I just chuckle to myself that every person on this board has been a bigger survivor than anyone on those shows.

My husband pointed out once, that people pay thousands of dollars to jump out of planes, mountain climb or white-water raft, to get adreneline thrills. He said to me "all we have to do is get up in the morning".
Old 01-28-2003, 05:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh yay Ann!

I came here hoping to find good news from you. I'm so glad that you are not still waiting and wondering. God bless your son and I hope he finds the help he needs. And God bless you. I'm sure this ordeal took it's toll on your stress level. Thank God for good news.
Peace,
Gabe
Old 01-28-2003, 06:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank goodness Ann

I know how worried you must have been. You are the true survivor. They should have a reality show about people who live with addicts. Anyway, I am glad he's OK and that you're OK. You know where all here. It's a good thing you're the keeper of the bunny slippers.
Old 01-28-2003, 06:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
believer

(((((((Ann))))))))

I'm so glad he's safe and found his way to a shelter. I admire your strength and the relationship you have with you son, in spite of his continued struggle.

Hugs,
JG
Old 01-28-2003, 06:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

((((Ann))))

Now I can breath! I was so worried about him. And you. I love Mr. Ann...I will have to repeat that nugget for Ward. He will get it for sure!

What a comfort to simply know he is still alive and warm. I will keep him in my heart.

Hugs,
JT
Old 01-28-2003, 06:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ann -

I'm so glad you heard from your son. Nothing is worse than the not knowing and it's a blessing to know where he is and that he's safe and warm.

I laughed at what your husband said - this life too often plays like a bad soap opera. If normies only knew

hugs,

deedee
Old 01-28-2003, 06:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

Oh Ann.......I am so glad he is okay! Yes, I know it's a set back, but he is alive and safe. I'm like you in that regard. For today that is enough for which to be thankful. Now my prayer is that he will decide that rehab IS a good place for him and see his way back there.

Again, I'm so glad he is okay and so glad for you and your husband. Ya'll will remain on my prayer list.

Love ya,

Hangin' In
Old 01-28-2003, 07:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Thank you again, for caring and for your prayers. Sometimes I feel a need to jump in and do something, and sometimes, like right now, I just know that the right thing to do is to let him find his own way. He knows we love him. That is enough for right now.

And...Happy birthday Deedee!!!
Old 01-28-2003, 07:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Anns,

All I can say is "thank God". and WHEW I am both relieved for
you and your son. We will ask in our prayers that he continues to watch over all of you.

Blessings & ********{hugs,}}}}}
Vinnie
Old 01-28-2003, 07:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Our prayers were answered Ann!!

The power of prayer is a wonderful thing! I prayed so hard for you as we all did. A big weight has been lifted now that you know where your son is. You remained strong and are an inspiration to us all.

When all of our loved ones start praying for themselves as we pray for them there will truly be some healing happening for sure!!

Prayers continue,
matters
Old 01-28-2003, 07:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Paused

SO RELIEVED FOR YOU, ANNS!!

I came on the boards tonight specifically to see if you had some good news about your son, Anns, and I was relieved to see that you had heard from him. You were on my mind all day at work, and I prayed for you often. I know that it is hard to know that your son is in a shelter, but I have some personal knowledge of what shelters are like----and they are usually run by very good people who truly care. He turned to someone for help, Anns, and that is a positive thing. I'm so glad that he is okay----and reaching out. You keep taking care of yourself, okay?? You know that we all have you in our thoughts and prayers!! Love to you----LACEEJOE
Old 01-28-2003, 07:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Paused

Anns,

God bless you and your son. Thank God he had the courage to call you. I will say an extra prayer for him tonight.

What a journey, this life.
Roads travelled
Roads not taken
Ever seeking
Sometimes mistaken
But when right
a blissful end
the circle of life
a journeys end.

Lolly
Old 01-28-2003, 08:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Smile Anns

A belated Merry Christmas for you!!! Thank you Lord for bringing him back safely. Maybe this time will be the right time! I'm so happy for you. I had to laugh about the "Eye-Brows" but isn't it the truth. Man, it must be wonderful to live a life without any stress! Wonder what that would be like? Probably boring huh? I love boring, wish it were me!! Love and Hugs, Devastated
Old 01-28-2003, 11:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Grace Under Fire

Anns,
I am so thankful he is alive-I was really
worried.
That is our worst nightmare that
they could be lying dead somewhere, and
the not knowing.
Jails or shelters are a relief and we
are thankful and grateful.
I never thought I would think this way.
I'm praying for you and your son, and
I pray for the miracle.

Love and hugs,
Old 01-29-2003, 03:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Paused

Been thinking of you.

God Bless
Old 01-29-2003, 04:51 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Ann, I am so thankful like the others that God has answered our prayers and you know where he is and that he is safe and warm for now. You have such strength, I struggle with my husband and his alcoholism, somehow I think a child would be much harder to detach from. I continue to have you and your son in my prayers.

On another note, how is your new job? You mentioned the girls in your office and I was wondering how you liked the new job. I hope it is going as well as it was at the begining. Take care and have a restful day.
Old 01-29-2003, 05:34 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Paused

Faith Is...

Combining contradictions creatively.
"According to your faith, let it be to you." -Matthew9:29

Designers, architects, musicians, and chiefs combine contradictions creatively. They creatively use colors and materials
that at first seen to clash to bring about amazing beauty.
Tough and tender--contradictions? Yes, but combined creatively
they are beautifully harmonious.
Can God bring good out of evil? Can He combine tragedy and truimph and produce something inspiring? Of course he can!
Internalized contradicitions. God is able to take these contradictions and combine them creatively.

Ann, this is from a prayer book I have and I thought it might help for you to remember tht you are doing the right thing by not picking him up, as you and I hv learned the hard way, " there is help tht helps and there is help tht hurts." As moms of A's we hv lots of experience w/contradicitions. You are being "tough" by not rescuing and yet are still able to be "tender" by offering to get together for coffee with your son.

I will continue to keep you and your son in my prayers, you hv been through alot lately Ann so pls do something just for you.
How about a special cup of cappuccino and a good book or movie?
And I think all things considered you do deserve a slice of cheesecake as well!

Hugs to you,
Sparrow