my husband came out of rehad and all he does is sleep

Old 03-20-2006, 04:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool my husband came out of rehad and all he does is sleep

Idont know whats up and he is taking lots of pills some to doctor gave him the rest are over the counter
Old 03-20-2006, 05:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

He shouldn't be mixing medications, you already know that. I suppose it may be his attempt to get a legal high. The thing is it taxes his liver and can cause any number of problems. This is no different than his choice to drink. You can't make those decisions for him. I think this is where one of the fine lines comes in between helping and enabling. If he were standing on a bridge ready to jump, is it enabling to stop him? I think you have to make decisions that YOU can live with. You ca chosse to ignore it or you can call his doc or councelor. I'm sure this is pretty common, not to imply it can't have a fatal outcome. My husband was recentluy in a car accident and had injuries. I was called to come and get him as the people he was with refused to call an ambulance. In NY state I am required by law to respond to medical emergencies as I am an RN. Not responding could and probably should lead to my license being revoked. It was incidental that it was my husband. My husband refused treatment which a person has the legal right to do. You are in the same boat. You are sitting right in the middle of the gray area. If it were me, I'd call and give his doc a heads up.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
harleygirl92156

Originally Posted by calamitye
Idont know whats up and he is taking lots of pills some to doctor gave him the rest are over the counter
What exactly are the pills he is taking for? What is he taking?

Over the counter meds can be very dangerous for recovering alcoholic and too many doctors don't have a clue what should be given and not be given to alcoholics.

Example, my husband was hospitalized with pnemonia and suffered DT's while in the hospital. When he was dismissed to go into treatment the doctor prescribed cough meds for him to take with him to recovery, the cough med had a very high alcohol content!! What was he thinking?????

I would contact hubbys doctor, find out exactly what he is taking and why. I would also contact the rehab center for a list of over the counter meds that should be avoided. My husband was given a list when he left rehab, if you can't get one, I may be able to dig around and find the one we were given.

I don't have to worry much because my hubby won't take anything but ibuprofen. He recently had gall bladder surgery and demanded no narcotics be given for pain, the surgeon said it was impossible, our family doctor backed my husband up and guess what, it wasn't impossible because he did it with minimal discomfort. Makes one wonder just how much we are really over medicated.

I would be very concerned about the meds he is taking and I would also wonder about depression (common for those just coming out of rehab). Both should be addressed right away.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

my husband is on Lexapro only

this is the pills he got after he was released from rehab, he was only is 7 days. I wanted him in a step down program buy no luck there. He is not attending any AA ,just sleeping most of the time. Iam a minister and took him to our mental health unit of our hosp. and then to rehad after the d.T.s
Old 03-21-2006, 04:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ill call the doctor

He doesnt have a councelor yet, he has to go for one on the 26th
Old 03-21-2006, 05:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Is it depression or some induced depression caused by the cocktail of pills he's taking? Someone prescribed the pills and their name is on the prescription bottle. Call that person. The dosage may need to be altered. Even if your husband is scheduled to see a councelor, he needs to be followed medically. It is soooooooo frustrating as the kids we need to schedule counceling for need immediate intervention, it sometimes takes 3 months to get them in anywhere. The medication you mention can cause sedation. I'd look it up on the internet and read all the adverse effects. 7 days would barely take him throught the acute phase of DT's. He was probably cleared medically with a follow up plan for counceling which closed his case. What happens when he needs his prescription refilled? You can always call the local ER and get advice or the behavioral health department.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
alcohol-kicked-my butt

calamitye--
im laura,im an alcoholic --i dont know about your hubbie but for me--i sleep alot--i am in recovery but still feel sort of out of sorts alot of the time --so i rest alot--just to pass the time--when you get sober you are just so confused and lost that i think alot of people sleep alot --especially in the beginning--my hubbie is very understanding of this and says just do whatever i need to take care of myself--anything butDRINKING--lol--i really put him thru the wringer with drinking and he is as terrified of it as me--just my experience--take care
Laura
Old 03-22-2006, 04:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Unhappy

Thanks to all of you, my husband has begun to drink again .He does have a follow up. So ill will eep you posted.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about this. Keep us up to date. Is he going to AA or anything like that?