I love my brother - OT.

Old 03-20-2006, 02:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I love my brother - OT.

I've got to share this (errr... well I want to!).

I had such a lovely day yesterday, my brother came round to help us get the house ready for it's evaluation today (which I think went well). My brother has LD and mild autism and has never had any friends so I have him here more often than not for a slap up sunday roast!

He and D were working on the upstairs, distracting the hell out of each other and getting nowhere fast. I'd go up there and tell them to get a move on and they'd stick up for each other like two real brothers (how I managed to stay being the grump with such a big smile on the inside I'll never know!). I had the downstairs done and the biggest roast we've ever seen cooked when finally they got something done (suddenly went like the clappers they did!). When I went back to see how they were getting on they both looked so smug!!

I love my brother SO MUCH and I just love that he and D get on so well. Everything feels right with the world with my two fellas there taking the mick out of me - but as I'm the doer of food I have a slight upper hand!!!

I think of all the times when I was a kid and I though my brother was embarassing, I used to wish and wish he was 'normal'. I used to get into fights with lads his age (1 yr older) than me when he got picked on, then get just as mad at him for doing the wrong thing that led to him being picked on. BUT if anyone tried to swap my brother now I'd have a dick fit!! I don't wish he was normal anymore - I love his socks off, he's the gentle, kind big brother anyone would wish for.

I think if D hadn't had his own problems maybe he would still try to get on with my brother but I very much doubt he would have so much genuine liking and understanding for him. They're inseperable when Andy is here, they make men jokes, do random DIY and D spends countless hours sorting out one thing after another for Andy's computer (it was a refurbed printer yesterday).

I love my brother so much he'll always be around, he'll never be distant family, he'll always have his place at the table - and I love that my hubby is just as enthusiastic about that being the way it is!
Old 03-20-2006, 03:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

aww eq - that's such a beautiful post. i have 2 brothers and am not as close as i'd like to be with them. one is an addict and i haven't seen or talked to him in probably 11 years. the other i am somewhat close to but we don't see each other or talk much. thanks for sharing.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ICU

Equus,

What a refreshing post.

I'm not close to either of my siblings anymore - - I guess their 'welcome mat' got rolled up when my 'doormat' status changed.

Although it hasn't worked out for me and my siblings, I'm so glad to read about your situation. That's the way it should be....isn't always....but should be.

I'm glad you are one of the lucky ones. You are so deserving!
Old 03-20-2006, 04:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Until I was in my mid twenties I used to say he wasn't really like my brother because he went away to school when he was 10. I felt as though it wasn't the same as everyone else's siblings because he was only home at holidays and used to drive me bonkers - I used to think I hated him but I didn't really. I never used to include him with my friends, I'd actively shut him out and avoid friends meeting him.

I don't know what changed but something did and we blossomed as brother and sister!! I suppose we always were, just to young and daft to realise it!

D has done the most to REALLY bring us close together, I saw their relationship and a penny dropped that my brother wasn't an unwanted responsibility (one which I always took regardless) he was actually a damn cool person. I'd never seen anyone enjoy his company so much till D, I used to have a laugh with him but I just figured that was because he was my brother and it was never really on equal terms.

Over the last two years I've learned a lesson - more than one. First I think I was a bit jealous of D and my brother, like I wanted D to know he was hard work and 'different', then I saw D was right in how he treated him and felt guilty, now it doesn't matter much because it's all good and this is my family.

My brother isn't a chore anymore, I'm not a martyr to it anymore, I love him to bits and have finally realised I'm bloody lucky!
Old 03-20-2006, 06:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That was a really nice post to read. Brought a smile out this morning. Thanx!
Old 03-20-2006, 08:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What a sweet and inspiring post!! I always wanted a brother (I have 3 sisters). Sounds like your lucky many times over with a great hubby, loveable brother, and the gift of realizing that good things can come from "differences" in people!!

Bless your heart and your hubby and brother!
Old 03-20-2006, 09:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

E...you really do have a lovely life........
Old 03-20-2006, 03:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pmaslan
E...you really do have a lovely life........
Just took me a while to realise that!!