New al-non Member

Old 03-19-2006, 02:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New al-non Member

Just like to say that I am an al-non member of roughly 2 months. I have had a few relapses, but I am ready to begin a life of serenity. I was in a relationship of on again off again for 6 years. He was an alcoholic/drug addict and we have a 7 year old daughter together. He has not been in my life for 4 years.. but I am am just now dealing with the problems that I have not overcome by being in that relationship. I am currently in a relationship with a wonderful person who has been sober for 7 years and he works his program. We are recently seperated for a six month period and we are working on our own problems seperatly. I have ignored some of the problems that I have had with my past relationship... and now they are hitting me head on. I have been going to some meetings and I am ready to commit to this and work through my problems with some people who understand what I am going through. Thanks for listening Carebear06
Old 03-19-2006, 03:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

Good for you, Carebear. Al-anon has been a lifesaver for me.

Keep coming back!

God bless
Old 03-19-2006, 03:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for your comment.. Is there anything positive. Since I have started thearapy I am reliving the past and it has brought up many emotions for me. I have never realized just how much that my past relationship has effected me in my life.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Carebear

Al-Anon has also been good for me, along with other things. It's great that you are taking the time to take care of yourself. It sounds like you are really ready to walk the path of recovery. Keep coming back.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Denny57

I am... I am so ready clear my soul, mind and body of everything that I have held in for the past 7 years. It has taken me a while, but I think with the help of others and Al-Non I can do this. Thanks for responding to my thread and giving the encouragement that I need.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If you are ready Carebear, you WILL do it. I felt just like you, so beaten down by the disease. I was ready to do anything to help alleviate that feeling. Attending Al-Anon as often as I could (I managed to do about 45 meetings in 30 days), attending open AA speaker meetings, seeing my family doctor and a therapist, as well as having my friends and coming here to SR all helped. That looks like a lot to do, but I've managed over the last months to fit everything into my life, including work and a social life. So it can be done. I am very glad I did (and continue to do) it all. I feel so much better.

FYI I started Al-Anon about 7 months ago. Good luck to you.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the Encouragement

Yes I am ready to go head forward and feel my sould with serenity. Thanks for the encouragement. This site has already ( in just one day) helped me to stay positive and I will keep coming back as well as attend more meetings than I have in the past. Thanks again
Old 03-19-2006, 06:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

welcome carebear06 - yeah we really don't realize how much the disease has affected us until we're ready. al-anon is a great place and will give you good tools. counseling also helped me - i really didn't realize how my growing up in an alcoholic home and then being married to an alcoholic had affected me until i got into al-anon and counseling. keep up the good work you are worth it!
Old 03-19-2006, 08:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome and congratulations on getting on a program. I hope it helps you get to where you want to be. Keep posting!