How would you react?

Old 03-19-2006, 02:01 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaTeeDa
If you do not *believe* you have choices, then you don't. And that is tragic.

L
That's the biggest problem and a huge reason people feel it is impossible to leave the relationship and that is exactly why they are frozen with fear. It really does make it impossible. When I went for my appointment with victims services, they actually said I was lucky. I have my own bank account, a decent enough job, friends and family still that can give me a hand and I own my home and vehicle. There are people who come in they said that have had their lives so totally controlled by a spouse, that they literally have nothing. The spouse has done everything they could to ensure that they aren't able to leave. Luckily for me, G was always to wrapped up in himself to really even notice what I did but they said there are those who can't even go to the grocery store without someone timing them to make sure they went and came straight home. They aren't allowed to work, or have any money for themselves nor are they allowed to contact friends and family. I always thought that one of the worst things about the whole relationship was that I had lost a huge part of who I was. When they reminded me of that, it made me realize that I was there by choice and that I had alot of freedom compared to many of people whether I realized it at first or not. Once I knew what I had, it helped me alot in being able to break free of it.

Sorry, kind OT on the thread!
Old 03-19-2006, 11:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

How would you react??

Originally Posted by Morning Glory
  • The alcoholic comes home late and he is drunk, too drunk in fact to get the key into the front door lock. After several futile attempts, he decides that it is a lost cause. Since he does not want anyone in the house to know that he is too drunk to unlock his own door, he makes a brilliant decision that solves his problem. He goes to sleep in the front yard!
How would you react?

The Rescuer

The "rescuer" doesn't let the incident become a "problem." Since she has been waiting up for him anyway, she goes out in the yard, gets the alcoholic up, cleans him up, and puts him into bed. That way the neighbors never see him passed out in the flower bed!

She never mentions the incident to him or anybody else. If anyone else mentions it, she denies there is a problem. She lies for him, covers up for his mistakes, and protects him from the world.

As the problems increase and his drinking gets worse, she takes on responsibilites that were once his. She may get a job or work extra hours to pay the bills. And if he gets in trouble with the law, she will move heaven and earth to come up with his bail.

The Provoker

The "provoker" reacts by punishing the drunk for his actions. She either waits for him to wake up the next morning and gives it to him with both barrels, or she goes out and turns the water sprinklers on!

She scolds, ridicules, and belittles. She nags. She screams insults at him loud enough for everyone to hear. She gets on the telephone and tells all her friends he's a loser. She is angry and she makes sure that the alcoholic and everybody else knows it. Or she gives him the cold shoulder and doesn't speak to him. She threatens to leave.

She doesn't let it go, either. The anger and resentment continue to build as these incidents become more frequent. She never lets him forget his transgressions. She holds it against him and uses it as a weapon in future arguments -- even months or years later.

The Martyr

The "martyr" is ashamed of the alcoholic's behavoir and she lets him know it by her actions or words. She cries and tells him, "You've embarrassed us again in front of the whole neighborhood!"

She sulks, pouts, and isolates. She gets on the telephone with her friends and tearfully describes the misery that he has caused her this time! Or she is so ashamed of it she avoids her friends and any mention of the incident.

Slowly she becomes more withdrawn and depressed. She may not say much about it to the alcoholic, but she lets him know with her actions that she is ashamed of him. Quietly she tries to make him feel quilty for his behavoir.

Which is the Enabler?

The above examples may be somewhat of an exaggeration, but then again they may be very typical of what goes on in an alcoholic home. The "roles" the nonalcoholic spouse plays in the family may not be as well defined, as they are outlined here. Depending upon the circumstances, the spouse may fall into one of these roles, or may switch back and forth between them all.

So which of the spouses described above is an enabler? Which one is actually helping the alcoholic progress in his disease? Which one, although they are trying to make things better, are actually contributing to the problem? All of them.

It's easy to define the "rescuer" or "caretaker" as an enabler.

She is enabling him simply by not allowing him to face the consequences of his own actions. He wakes up in the bed warm and toasty the next morning, not even remembering that he passed out in the front yard.

Why should he ever admit that he has a problem? With her rushing in to "put pillows under him" each time he falls, he never feels the pain of the fall. If his drinking never becomes painful, due to her heroic efforts to protect him, why should he ever decide to stop?

But the other two role models are also enabling. How? Because their reactions to the alcoholic's behavior allows him to focus on their reaction rather than his own behavior.

If he wakes up the next morning in the yard and comes into the house to face the rath of the provoker or the shame of the martyr or "victim," then his natural response is to react to that behavior, rather than his own.

Moreover, both the provoker's and the martyr's actions are designed to manipulate him with guilt, which believe it or not, he feels. But if he is truly an alcoholic, his reaction will not be to own up to his mistakes, but to try to escape them once again -- in the bottle.

The Correct Reaction?

So what is the best way to react to the situation described? How do you react when the alcoholic has pulled another one of his stunts? The answer is to not react at all! Pretend as if nothing happened!

If the alcoholic wakes up the next morning and comes into the house where everything is going on normally -- the kids are getting ready for school, you are doing your hair and the coffee's on the stove -- then the only thing left for him to face is his own behavior.

Any embarrasment or shame brought on by him passing out in the front yard for all the neighbors to see, belongs to him and him alone. It's his problem, not anyone else's. His behavior is the problem, not your reaction to it.

If you greet him with a "Good morning, dear, the coffee's ready!" just as if nothing unusual had happened, you have done your part right. You did not allow someone else's inappropriate behavior to provoke your own inappropriate behavior. You have not given the alcoholic the opportunity to "change the subject." He is left alone to face his own pain and shame by himself. When that pain gets to be strong enough, he will be ready to get help.

Until he is ready to reach out for help with his drinking problem, all the scolding, manipulating, and controlling efforts on your part are not going to do any good whatsoever and will only cause you to get pulled further into the family disease of alcoholism.

What do you all think of the example of the correct reaction? That would be pretty hard. And what about the kids and their friends in the neighborhood?
Morning Glory:
I have worshipped you from afar for about a year and a half now. When I used to visit my ex AH, CoDee, etc. (We are both "across the board" members. Lol., but no one's laughing at the moment)-he would give me prints of some of your talks. Fantastic stuff. I have been stirred many many times by reading them. Stirred, but not changed. No fault, no blame, just a lot of sickenss and a lot of pain. You could almost make a twangy song out of it.
My ex took care of me by taking the car keys, he never shut the door completely. Oh, he would yell and scream and say hurtful things, but he never truly wanted me to leave. He recalls how I climbed in thru the window, yet the window was always open. After being with this person for 8 years and being 8 years since my last drink (3/31/97), I relapsed with a bang! on February 17, 2005. My drinking a codee careergoes way back. I was the enabler and martyr in a prior alki/co-de relationship, I've been in and out of the program for 15 years now. (1st treatment in 1992) and you'd think I would have learned more. I do know this, PAIN, real or imagined can destroy us. It says so in AA's 12 and 12. And, I love your satemement :"Never argue with anyone's feelings. It's an argument you can never win". That is right out of AA's Chapter 16 story of the alki and the co-de, a wonderful wife named Max. The AA writing the story states at the end , We can discuss our thoughts, but Max has a right to her feelings because she feels what she feels. So Morninglory, just wanted to let you know that although i've only been on the net for a copuple of days, and have 40 days sobriety, you have been helping me much longer. Many times I've picked up an article and wept at the reading and re-reading, as I am weeping again now. I miss my ex. It's only been 3 weeks. Keep carrying the message. I'll be listening, and hopefully more than stirred..

Spungold 49 from the
California south
Old 03-20-2006, 12:28 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thank you for sharing that Spungold. It helps all of us to know that our posts are helping others when we don't even know it.

I'm so sorry for the pain you're feeling and I'm glad you found your way here.

Welcome to the family.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:50 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
ICU

Originally Posted by minnie
Pretending it didn't happen is not an option for me, but then it all depends on where your boundaries are, I guess.
I'm kind of with Minnie on this one.

I've found that when I pretended it didn't happen, he took that as a sign that he pulled 'yet another one' over on me. I truly believe it gave him confidence to continue on however he liked.

There's been many times when he would come home and I wouldn't let him in. My gut told me locking him out was the right thing to do. But when I was sure he was passed out in the truck, I would bring a blanket out to him because it was freezing out. Was that enabling? Was that detaching with love? I'm sure both could be debated.

What I did take exception with was when his actions about spending money affected me. When we got notice that we were being evicted because he sent in the rent check, but withdrew all the money the next day, which made the check bounce, well, that was something I was NOT going to ignore. I insisted he give me the money to deposit in my checking account so I knew the financial resposibilities that affected me were taken care of.

So, I think that example of how to correctly deal with the situation should be viewed upon as perhaps a guide, but also taken with a grain of salt. It does not, in my opinion, apply in all situations.