Like going to a hardware store for bread

Old 03-14-2006, 02:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Like going to a hardware store for bread

This helped me today. From Courage to Change, January 2.

Turning to an alcoholic for affection and support can be like going to a hardware store for bread. Perhaps we expect a "good" parent to nuture and support our feelings, or a "loving" spouse to comfort and hold us when we are afraid, or a "caring" child to want to pitch in when we are ill or overwhelmed. While these loved ones may not meet our expectations, it is our expectations, not our loved one, that have let us down.

Love is expressed in many ways, and those affected by alcoholism may not be able to express it the way we would like. But we try to recognize love whenever and however it is offered. When it is not, we don't have to feel deprived; most of us find an unfailing source of love in Al-Anon. With the encouragement and support of others, we learn to treat our needs as important and appropriate, and to treat ourselves as deserving.

Today's reminder
Today the alcoholic may or may not be able to give us what we desire. And no one person will ever offer all that we require. If we stop insisting that our needs be met according to our will, we may discover that all the love and support we need is already at our fingertips.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Irondoorknob] And no one person will ever offer all that we require. [/QUOTE]

thanks Idk for the very important reminder...

No one is ever going to meet all my needs - especially an A..

That's why today I get some of my support from my non-A bf but a lot of support from my Alanon group and my sponsor..

Alanon's tend to understand my emotional side..
Old 03-16-2006, 04:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

oops