Hello...

Old 03-08-2006, 06:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello...

James has started therapy again and went to an AA meeting this morning...for the first time in a year.

I have no idea when and if he will ever be able to find sobriety.

However, for today, he did.

He so wants to be the good man that he knows he can be. He is signed up to coach Little League for our 5 year old's team. He knows he can not do that if he has a buzz by 4PM every day.

Is that enough of a motivator? Probably not. But maybe so...

Maybe someday, something inside of him will heal. I pray for that.

I have had a wonderful winter. I am in full control of our money and over the past few months I have managed to save a considerable amount in an emergency fund. I am very proud of myself. I have also joined a gym, so my energy level has gone up and my stress level has gone down. I HIGHLY recommend this to everyone.

So, for today we BOTH had good days. May there be many more to come.

Jenny
Old 03-08-2006, 06:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

I heard a deep sense of peace in your post. That's what they talk about in Al-anon - how we can gain serenity, even if the alcoholic continues to drink.

Love and blessings to you and your husband.

Robin
Old 03-08-2006, 07:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Jenny------you DO sound good; serenity. As for AH, sounds like he is trying (always a good thing!) and that today was good! I pray that there will be many more of them for both of you! Coaching sounds like his heart is certainly in the right place.....I hope he can do it!

I agree with the working out. I have been doing it,and have found the same benefits!
Best wishes !
Old 03-08-2006, 11:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Jenny nice to see you pop in!!

You know, i think something is learned or gained from each and every attempt (hehehehe - you know me, I could reference that!). That's something that really helped me see a value even through lapses and errors, it makes more sense to me because both effort, success, partial success and failure are all realities. I got hung up on a lapse meaning all previous sober days were gone - but how? How can the reality of those days be removed? The drinking times in the past aren't removed by being sober, how do the sober times in the past become removed by drinking?

You have your head screwed on and whatever happens I reckon you will do right for you. Stay loving the day - it has real worth which can never be removed.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Caring for the 3 little bears

RELAPSE TRAPS (jennyk, glad to hear you had a good winter!)

i have been gone from this sight since last August!

So glad to hear about your winter, mine was good too.

Jenny, my AH has been seeing and addiction counselor every week since last summer. She gave him a book last year titled "RELAPSE TRAPS: HOW TO AVOID THE MOST COMMON PITFALLS IN RECOVERY" It helped him tremendously, and of course helped me too.

I don't know if you are in a position to give it to him. Do I remember that your father is a counselor or something? This book along with the counseling, have helped my AH to stay sober for 8 months now. It is a MIRACLE! (of course, i am sure the near death experiences, rehab facility, withdrawal from the methadone, losing his family for a year, etc all contributed to him seeking real help)

One thing he has said to me is that the AA one day at a time is great for when you first start, but a few weeks or months into it, you need to undeniably accept the fact that you can never drink again.
I didn't know this, but most A's have a burning desire to drink "normally" - that is why they keep relapsing or slipping, is because of this desire. They slip, thinking they can drink normally, and then end up in the trenches. So, once they face reality, and sometimes it takes a near death experience, they can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Anyway, hope you have a great spring too!

Take care.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

wraybear...HI, Nice to see you. Things sound so good for you, happy for you and the little ones.
I would like the author of the book, please.

Sorry Jenny for intruding.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Guys thank you..

I LOVE hearing sucess stories... you have made my day
Old 03-10-2006, 08:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I love success stories, too. Thank you.

L
Old 03-10-2006, 09:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ronald L. Rogers, Chandler Scott McMillin. Authors
Old 03-10-2006, 11:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you susane. Sounds like a good book.