Normality

Old 02-26-2006, 03:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Normality

I had an interesting experience yesterday and I’d like to share it with you all.

I am having some real tests of my recovery at the moment. I share a house with my brother and he has lapsed into a deep depression which is terribly distressing for him and those that love him. He is still working, but he has done the usual family trick of isolating himself. I can’t knock him for it in the slightest, because I share that particular characteristic, although I am getting better at reaching out. I have always been pretty close to my brother and loved spending time with him, but that has all gone by the wayside. I’m lucky if I get 2 sentences out of him in a day – and I actually work with him now too. He is like this with everyone, so I am not doing the paranoid thing and thinking it’s all about me. My heart breaks every day to see this handsome, once-vibrant, funny, caring guy simply shut down.

I went next-door to see my neighbour yesterday. She is a wonderful woman and I am so lucky to have a new friend nearby. She is concerned about D too and we were discussing what any of us can do to help him. Does this sound familiar? She said something that struck me dumb – “I think the best thing is just to be normal. Treat him as you always have and how you expect to treat a brother and a house-mate, otherwise he will never face up to just how bad his depression has got. Pu$$y-footing around will only create a new “normal” and he won’t be facing the consequences of his situation.” Well, strike me down. I KNOW this stuff – I lived it with R. So why does it take someone who has never had any contact with alcoholics and only thinks of recovery in terms of healing after an operation (she’s a nurse) to make me see sense? I say this tongue in cheek, because I know for certain that I learn my lessons all over the place. But WOW!!
Old 02-26-2006, 03:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

When we are open to recovery, when the lessons come, we recognize the message. That was your higher power speaking to you through your friend.

Regarding your brother, is he being treated for depression? I suffered from depression for 20 years, and it is a serious, but treatable condition.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No he's not getting treatment, Robina. I too have taken ADs for a while and have had some brilliant counselling. In fact, I am re-training as a counsellor myself, but am only at the very beginning. He knows all of this and knows that I have a lot of info, but is not ready to get help.

I just thought that what my friend said was so applicable to living with an active alcoholic too. I know that when I was living with R, I did not treat him "normally". I adjusted my standards of acceptable behaviour, both for me and him. I helped create a new "norm", where standards were lower and what was once unacceptable became the acceptable, albeit grudgingly.

It's much easier to tip-toe than to maintain a norm in the face of the abnormal.
Old 02-26-2006, 04:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I KNOW this stuff – I lived it with R. So why does it take someone who has never had any contact with alcoholics and only thinks of recovery in terms of healing after an operation (she’s a nurse) to make me see sense?
My mate (the nurse) was a godsend for telling me/giving that extra shove. She also knew when my D was getting bad by the way he looked despite any efforts on his part to act right. Depression and drinking aren't the same and nurses do have an extra clinical awareness if you ask me!! (least my mate does!!).

I think normal is good but maybe with a little extra effort to encourage, and some time away if the furniture seems like it's getting depressed too! I think sometimes it feels like it can cling inside the house - that's get out time, a break!