Rehab?

Old 02-23-2006, 09:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rehab?

Here's a question I have? Does recovering always mean going to rehab? That is a lock down stay away program or our there other options? Thanks Dan
Old 02-23-2006, 10:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Dan, I didn't go to rehab and I know many people who didn't. But I also know many who did. It depends on the individual, the level of addiction, the circumstances. Sometimes rehab is needed to provide a safe environment for the person to detox and allow the mind to begin to clear. Plus they are kept busy with meetings, groups etc. so they get a lot of recovery in a short amount of time (IF they really want it).

Rehab is NOT a requisite for recovery any more than relapse is even though some would have you believe that. Anyway, that's just my .02.

Hope this helps,
Kellye
Old 02-23-2006, 10:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In my case, rehab made things worse. Not necessarly their fault however. My wife went.....ended up having and affair with drunk she met while in treatment. That ended our marriage. Her fault, her choice. But the guy was/is a preditor, and she was vernerable.

I would suggest a all female rehab if possible. JMHO
Old 02-23-2006, 10:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would think that there would be a lot of scum lerking around those places! Sorry NC
Old 02-23-2006, 10:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

Are you guys kidding?
Old 02-23-2006, 10:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

OMG where am I.....

You guys are right out of the dark ages........holy smokes

Old 02-23-2006, 11:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Dan there are many options, inpatient, outpatient. If you researched local rehab centers you would find out all about programs offered. Why do you ask? Has there been a change or are you just curious?

My ex attended this place, one of the best on the east coast. Only 28 day program she completed. They have a great program.
http://www.fathermartinsashley.com/

No scum lurking there
Old 02-23-2006, 11:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

From everything I have read here and elsewhere, and those I know who have recovered, I would say the only requirement is the *desire* to recover. They have to want it, and want it more than anything else. Having said that, rehab, AA, and numerous other options are out there to help those who want to help themselves.

L
Old 02-23-2006, 11:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This was my experience. I have heard, from several sources, that rehab romances are not uncommon. The treatment center try to warn their patients to avoid such entanglements. And my case, the OM was a preditor. This is not excusing my wifes behavoir, but he knew from being in group with her what to say, what she wanted to hear.

Why take the chance if you can avoid it. I wish we had.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

No change just curiuos
Old 02-23-2006, 11:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by guyinNC
In my case, rehab made things worse. Not necessarly their fault however. My wife went.....ended up having and affair with drunk she met while in treatment. That ended our marriage. Her fault, her choice. But the guy was/is a preditor, and she was vernerable.

I would suggest a all female rehab if possible. JMHO
Guy, your wifes affair was probably just another symptom of her problem. I doubt the rehab center she went to caused your marriage to fail.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You are probably right Jazz.

Her addiction was her problem. However, it I could go back in time, I would go for an all womens treatment center.

Still her choice, her consequences. Just giving my advice and what I would have done differently.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by guyinNC
And my case, the OM was a preditor. This is not excusing my wifes behavoir, but he knew from being in group with her what to say, what she wanted to hear.
When are you going to stop deffending her? Just how bad would a woman have to treat you and your kids before you say that's enough? Just curious...
Old 02-23-2006, 09:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes, lots do it without going to alcohol rehab. I think the rehab does serve as a safe haven while one sobers up.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
When Pigs Fly

My husband did rehab twice for drug abuse, now he is a alcoholic.. However I was a meth user for 4yrs, found out i was pregnat and just stopped, I hane been clean for 16yrs. I guess what I'm trying to say is if you want it you do it. Treament center or not.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I think thats the key and pretty much what everyone is saying here. If you want to change you can.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yes, Dan, there are resources out there, a variety of different methods if you want to change. What works for one may not work for another. But I do think the will to change must come from within.... and you must be willing to keep trying and be persistant.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Putting it all together

I am just wondering if......

Originally Posted by dan1958
I would think that there would be a lot of scum lerking around those places! Sorry NC
Dan....Are you referring to the people in rehab as SCUM because they are addicts and alcoholics? I would really like to know what you mean by that statement and also if you are in recovery? If so, would that mean that at one time you were also SCUM? Thanks for a reply.....Kahlia
Old 02-24-2006, 08:10 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

Yes Dan, I think you are right!
Its not easy, always a struggle.
And every minute without drinking
is a victory for the alcoholics.
There are so many awesome folks who have time under their belt,
work hard every day, and are an example of how, it really'can work if you work it.

As an additional piece of info.
All the inpatient rehabs I know of have firm rules against
fraternizing, or becoming involved in a physical relationship
with anyone, while in the program.

It does happen and I have seen it. When D was in rehab, I went to see him almost every evening and on the weekends. I spent a fair amount of time with the other people there as well.

So, it does happen Dan, but is not encouraged nor tolerated.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:36 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

My hubby did a 30 day in house rehab and our son is doing AA. When hubby was there, there were people who were there because of legal problems...court ordered stuff. Very down and out alcoholics and addicts who had no homes, family or lives other than booze and drugs. I got along famously with them. I talked with them, made goodies and took them in and they were the most gracious and appreciative people I'd ever met.

Then, there were others who were from well off families... And I'm talking about BIG people whose names you would recognize, and not to be considered "scum". Their families visited, and treated the rest of us like we were scum because they thought they were better.

Bottom line. Once clean and sober, they were all dynamic, loving and caring people who were grateful for any kind of attention and courtesy.