OT but a warning about credit cards

Old 02-21-2006, 07:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT but a warning about credit cards

Hi guys, I haven't posted in awhile but I have been lurking. Just wanted to tell you guys what happened on Saturday. My sister was visiting on Saturday (she lives about 100 miles away) so she, my mom and I went shopping. We went to a local Goodwill store (I love bargains). I was getting a cold (that I now have) so when we were done they took me home and left again to get something to eat. Mom lives next door in an apartment attached to our garage. When they got back mom had 2 messages on her answering machine. 1 was from Target Visa and the second was from her bank. They were checking to make sure it was she who had made large purchases in the last couple of hours. It wasn't. Apparently while we were at the Goodwill store a man came up and distracted my mother by asking her which stuffed animal she thought would look good in a little girls' crib. His accomplice took moms' wallet out of her purse and took her credit cards. When he distracted her a second time her wallet was put back. They left everything else intact, even her cash. They went straight to Circuit City and spent over $3000 in 2 separate purchases. They have them on tape. Obviously they didn't check the signatures. Now how cruel can you be to do that to a 74 year old woman on oxygen? I hope they catch them. I have taken all but my debit card out of my wallet and will only carry the ones I need when I'm going to that particular store. Just a warning to you guys. It sure was a wakeup call for me.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

well that just sucks!!! u know i really dont understand these stores....i have been so pissed off when i have used a debit card with a pin number,and yet they INSIST on seeing my license,but yet so many times with credit cards they dont bother to check anything......................go figure.........i hope they catch them,the rotten little **********
Old 02-21-2006, 07:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

How horrible. At least the credit card company was wise enough to call to verify.

That is just soooooo wrong.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the warning. Some people...... such slugs...