The Characteristics of Healthy Love

Old 02-15-2006, 08:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

The Characteristics of Healthy Love

Judy's recent post entitled "Why" got me thinking about love. How do you define love? I'll start:

Love is an emotion or an emotional state. Love is something that brings pleasure. Love is a deep, tender feeling of affection toward a person, such as that arising from kinship, recognition of attractive qualities, or a sense of oneness. Love is the gift of giving without expectations of reward.

So what are the characteristics of healthy love? According to Dr. Brenda Schaeffer, author of "Is it Love or is it Addiction?" people in healthy relationships share the following characteristics.

1. They allow for individuality.
2. They experience both oneness with and separateness from another.
3. They bring out the best qualities in self and another.
4. They accept endings.
5. They experience openness to change and exploration.
6. They invite growth in the other person.
7. They experience true intimacy.
8. They feel the freedom to ask honestly for what is wanted.
9. They experience giving and receiving in the same way.
10. They do not attempt to change or control the other.
11. They encourage self-sufficiency of partners.
12. They accept limitations of self and other.
13. They do not seek unconditional love.
14. They accept and respect commitment.
15. They have high self-esteem.
16. They trust the memory of the beloved; they enjoy solitude.
17. They express feelings spontaneously.
18. They welcome closeness and risk vulnerability.
19. They care with detachment.
20. They affirm equality and personal power of self and other.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Is healthy love and being in a loving relationship where one partner is an alcoholic mutually exclusive?

I read that list and see most of my life. Yet my husband is an alcoholic. The main thing that is missing on that list is his ability to have high self-esteem and my ability to trust his memory (it is long shot to hell).

Can an active alcoholic be capable of healthy love with his/her family? I often wonder this.

I am not in denial...trust that....just wondering if the alcoholic mind can really be for the most part abusive to itself and continue to love the family that surrounds it? Does that mind even care?

Hmmmm...

Jenny
Old 02-15-2006, 08:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Very good questions, Jenny. I think the answer to your question:

"Can an active alcoholic be capable of healthy love with his/her family?" probably depends on how far the disease has progressed.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

from what ive experienced,i just dont see how anyone using any kind of brain altering substance day in and day out,can truly have and know healthy love.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think the list is a good one and I agree with it for the most part. Problem is, is that love can be all of some of these components of the list. I also feel the the list is a good starting point, but far too generalized, too many "murky" areas that are subjective.

For me personally, I can't use a "check-off" list to determine if I love someone or not. My question was more of a "personal" nature, what someone feels in their "gut".

Love to me, should give someone a general sense of well-being, by the giver and the receiver. The words I don't see used here are "fixing, helping, pushing, moving, controlling etc", all the words and emotions that are the "staple" of the co-dependents diet.

It will be interesting to see how others view the characteristics of love.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I believe that this list could be read by a person who is a good manipulator and they could arrange things to look like this on the outside.

I could say that my relationship with my H looks a lot like the list. No matter how many coats of paint we put on the elephant in the living room and how well it matches the decor when it starts doing it's elephant thing in my small living room it just ends up stinking and one turn makes the room look like a tornado hit it...
Old 02-16-2006, 03:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Binge poster

Originally Posted by sunshinebluesky
from what ive experienced,i just dont see how anyone using any kind of brain altering substance day in and day out,can truly have and know healthy love.
I agree. How can you expect someone to love you who doesn't even like themselves?

I don't think they know what love is.

It's tragic.

J
xxx
Old 02-16-2006, 03:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think one huge mistake is to think of love as wholly there or wholly not there.

I couldn't claim to ever have loved perfectly (wholly there) or to have been without any at all.

I also think it's an absolute wrong to conclude another person is incapable of love. There's no need to do that, it requires a 1000 more judgements than we are capable of and personally I avoid that way of thinking like the plague!!
Old 02-16-2006, 03:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Binge poster

I don't think she's incapable, I think that I can't expect healthy, adult love from someone with nothing to give, even to herself, just now.

J
xxx
Old 02-16-2006, 03:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bahookie
I don't think she's incapable, I think that I can't expect healthy, adult love from someone with nothing to give, even to herself, just now.

J
xxx
Jane - I didn't mean you - I meant generally, it's said alot and I don't buy it. Hehehehe... anway you asked a question then said 'I think' and that IS different from a statement! :p
Old 02-16-2006, 05:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
been searching for the dream

Lucille Ball says "Love yourself first and everything else falls into place" or something to that effect. I know that I do not completely love myself or I wouldn't put up with some of the things I do put up with. I know though that I strive for loving someone as well as I am able. Just a thought.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I strive for loving someone as well as I am able.
And here lies the wisdom - I think!
Old 02-16-2006, 05:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I know my problems were really based in the fact that I wasn't able to differentiate between love and need, love and dependence, love and attachment. That desperate aching and longing and wanting to be with someone so badly was not rooted in love at all.

Now that I see that and have conquered (I hope!) those dependent needs, I see that we are surrounded by images and examples of neediness instead of love. Films, songs, novels all compound this image that we are not complete without a soulmate.

I like that list - it's a nice framework. Although I do agree with Splendra and know (from experience) that things like that can be used by the unscrupulous. Hey ho, I am better at looking at the substance not the superficial now.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Originally Posted by minnie
I know my problems were really based in the fact that I wasn't able to differentiate between love and need, love and dependence, love and attachment..
That's exactly how I was raised by my codependent Mother, (bless her heart, she didn't know any better)
I see that we are surrounded by images and examples of neediness instead of love. Films, songs, novels all compound this image that we are not complete without a soulmate.
That's exactly why I like comedies, thrillers, scary movies, the history channel and music w/ no lyrics!

Long battle to undue all the Walt Disney-esque brain washing I was exposed to at an impressionable age!
Old 02-16-2006, 06:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
ICU

Originally Posted by equus
I also think it's an absolute wrong to conclude another person is incapable of love. There's no need to do that, it requires a 1000 more judgements than we are capable of and personally I avoid that way of thinking like the plague!!
I can only speak from my situation, but what I have found is, it's not that they were incapable of love, just 'emotionally unavailable' while under the influence.

If I truly thought that the person I was involved with was incapable of love, I wouldn't have been there in the first place. That would be like falling in love with a chair, a wall, a door. Hmmmm wait a minute.....I'm beginning to notice the similarities LOL!