step 5 how long will i feel sad...

Old 02-05-2006, 04:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

step 5 how long will i feel sad...

I did my 5th step a few days ago. I am so glad its over!!! Can any of you tell me of your expreiences after doing the 5th step.. How did you feel? When did things start to change?? I really don't like the way I feel after doing it. I see that my whole life I have been a victim of and I really don't like that. It does not feel very good but at least now I have the chance to change it. I don't want to ever be a victim again///// Thanks Mary
Old 02-05-2006, 04:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For me mary , I felt a bit like you immediately after step 5 , I think I was expecting IMMEDIATE CHANGE LOL bells and whistles ect ! I settled down after a week or too, and to be honest, i find it quite exciting , working on changing my approach to things. I am finding that every time I "practise" an approach which has been suggested to me , AND IT WORKS, my faith in the programme goes up another gear . For today, i am so enjoying learning to LIVE sober

HUGX
Lee
Old 02-05-2006, 04:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
((( ONCE BITTEN, TWICE SHY )))

Hi Mary,
My name is Jennifer and Im a cross-addicted alocoholic. Ive been on the sobriety bus for 17 months now. I Just three weeks ago started my first step with my brand new sponsor. I posted a few weeks ago about a former sponsor I was using, that I had to say good-bye to because of some of her poor habits I wont get into. First off, I want to congratulate you on getting through one through four. My god, four I would think would have been the doozey, however everyone is different. I had to get rid of my sponsor because of trust issues. I didnt feel comfortable even sharing my first step with her so I felt I should find another sponsor I COULD be comfortable with. I guess what Im trying to say is its normal to feel the way you are feeling. Your peeling off layers ( so to speak ) you probablly never knew you had, and once you get to the last layer you should feel as if a huge weight has been lifted.I have found a new sponsor. She seems very sincere and thats what I need. My former sponsor and I remain friends.
Mary, keep on kepin on. Frankly I dont know how I made it this far without doing my steps. Its a HUGE part of recovery, infact I believe its detramental.
Keep posting to let us know how you are doing. Thanks, Jennifer
Old 02-05-2006, 12:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

It was very profound for me.

I have stopped blaming other people for my troubles, and I take responsibility for my own thoughts and feelings.

I now realize that feeling bad is a choice that I make. For me, the idea of "taking someone else's inventory" is very powerful. Now that I have been through step 4 and 5, whenever I find myself feeling angry at someone or thinking unkind thoughts, I simply focus on my own inventory.

Every time I forget my program, I'm put myself in danger of relapse. I guess that's why they call it "working your program".
Old 02-05-2006, 01:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think I was also in a state of shock after I finished my 4th and 5th... slightly dazed from the realization that I had made some real bad choices in my life and that I surely didn't see people as who they really were but for want of who I wanted them to be.

I don't think I ever really grew up and took responsibility for myself and my actions until I did them. It was after I finished them that I truly found the courage to change.... The 12 Steps were the most significant event in my life for they gave me the tools I needed to keep it real and recognize a bad choice I made before it got me into deep doo doo.