is this normal?

Old 01-08-2003, 09:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

is this normal?

I'm new but reading the posts makes me feel much calmer. My husband who has been drinking for years and who I'd pretty much lost hope for suddenly states that he knows this has to stop. He saw a doctor about his blood pressure and told the doctor he can't stop drinking. When he goes back for his follow up they're going to have a counsler there to evaluate him. I'm more anxious now than I was before.

I think it's because I'm afraid he'll back out. I guess I should be glad that he's even willing to try to deal with this. I just got used to the whole idea that I have no control over what he does and this change in attitude is freaking me out.

Is it normal to be so shook up by something that should be happy news?

Thanks for giving me somewhere to let this out.
Old 01-09-2003, 03:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Hi lishaff

I am sure everything you are feeling is normal. I think when we anticipate the prospect of them getting help, in the back of our mind is the thought of failure. My hubby has been through rehab many times and many times he has failed. He was sober once for 4 years when he was very active in his recovery, so I know it can be done.

Try not to worry too much about the hubby and focus on you. Remember there is nothing you can do if decides to get help or not. You said it when you stated you have no control over the situation.

Good luck and let us know how things are going.

You take care.
Many hugs
Debbie

PS - Welcome to the forums, see what happens when I am concentrating on what I am writing, I forget the Welcome
Old 01-09-2003, 05:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

lishaff

I just want to welcome you too and hope you'll stick around and share with us.

I hope all goes well, and the fact that he is talking about recovery is a good sign. Whether or not he follows through will be up to him.
Old 01-09-2003, 06:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

For me, it took about a week for the panic to sink in. The first week it was all just too unreal to me. My husband actually getting help? Pfft... Then something happened and I realized he was getting help and I did panic. I don't know why. I felt much like you.

I searched the web, I found this place, and I'm starting to find out I think the panic comes from different sources. For me it was the end of my denial, it was the end of my lies to myself. He's Actually admitting he has a problem, not "maybe he drinks a bit too much" Where did that leave me? Here... and in Anon meetings, and today things are going well Hope they go well for you too ((((hugs)))