What to DO?

Old 01-24-2006, 07:12 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Thanks TG, for reply, How sad.
I always heard the barroom drinkers say, "Well there are more old drunks than there are old Dr.s " and some drunks certainly outlived the Dr.s .
This disease is the worst nightmare ever.
I'd be mad I think, that he will have a roof over his head, with that money he will never hit bottom, in my opinion.
HUGS TG
Old 01-24-2006, 07:20 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Getting busy living!

Thanks Clancy, ((((hugs)))) right back at ya!

I'd be mad I think, that he will have a roof over his head, with that money he will never hit bottom, in my opinion. Well like I said, I look at it as saving me from feeling badly if it all ends up that we split up. I'm trying a lot harder to notice what's good for me in each new thing.

I have old pictures of my husband that he brought with him. Sure, I think he's handsome but I look at those pics and then I look at him now. It all sure has taken it's toll on him. Of course I try not to look to hard in the mirror at myself as I'm sure a lot of it's showing on my face too! lol Well at least they're not offering me the sr discount yet a Wal Mart so I guess I'm still ok! (They offered it to my sis once when I was with her and she was only in her mid 40's. Thought I'd bust a gut!!!! lol )
Old 01-24-2006, 08:19 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

(((Laurie))) That is a lot. I am sorry.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:35 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Thank you all, but please no reason to be sorry. I do okay. Heck I have a roof over my head (that I own, lol). I have hot and cold running water and heat in the winter and cooling in the summer, I have a pretty dang nice puter, and toys too.

I live on a fixed income but its okay and I have EXCELLENT health care here in New Mexico. Right now most of my problems, except the neuropathy are under pretty good control and are literally in a "holding pattern".

I'm happy most of the time, I have learned to live with the pain to a point.

I am 60 years old and when I was 29 the Doctors told my husband and my parents I wouldn't live to see 30 if I didn't stop drinking. Well I proved that sucker wrong roflmao, I didn't get sober until 3 weeks shy of my 36th birthday. lmao

So again thank you for your kind words, however, I am in pretty good shape for the shape I'm in. lol

Life is good today for me. Through a lot of hard work and lots of action the two 12 Step Programs (AA and Al-anon) have brought me to where I am today.

Keep posting. Keep coming back. It does get better!!!!!!

Love and (((((to all)))))
Old 01-25-2006, 07:43 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

Truly so characteristic of what this disease will do.
Laurie, I have a family member with neuropathy, although Im unsure of its relation to his alcoholism.TG- Dan has many of those same illnesses your husband has.
Conttnued drinking inspite of negative consequences.... indeed.
So heartbreaking.
Its time for me to stop breaking my heart over things that have nothing to do with me and that I have no control over. I am thankful for the new day and strength I have in MY Choices.
I did not give him the money, hes moved out, and guess what, he found someone else to give him money and I'd bet my savings that its not spent on Rx's or any treatment. Unless you consider Skol a treatment.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:04 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

SE...sounds like that taping of Dr. P had done incredible
wonders for you...so proud of you for taking a stand....
I'm right here for you girl, I know how you feel BTDT.....
Old 01-25-2006, 08:18 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

SE - think you need to change location from: attitude problem - i don't think you have an attitude problem AT ALL!
Old 01-25-2006, 08:29 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

Here here! True enough CW!
Patty, its funny how when I left the show, I was mad at Dr P. Thought, what the hell? He didnt "Fit it".
Nope, I fixed it and will keep fixin me. Its all any of us can do!
Old 01-25-2006, 02:04 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Alcoholic neuropathy is caused over years of drinking. The alcohol slowly burns off the coverings on the nerve endings in the body. The nerves then start sending false messages. Things like pain shooting all the way up the leg from the heel. Or burning like someone has thrown burning gasoline on a part of your leg or arm. They are now finding that anit seizure drugs (different ones for different people) seem to help some with the neuropathy. I personally take Neurontin, after having to try several different ones and it seems to have help quite a bit in keeping the attacks to a minimum.

It also cause messages not to be sent properly, like the person will go to take a step and the leg will go sideways instead of forward. Years ago they called it "Jake Leg". I have no idea why, lol.

When diabetics get neuropathy, it is the same thing. Over time the diabetis causes the covering over the nerve endings to die.

You lose your sense of feeling, usually starts in the feet or bottoms of the feet, tips of fingers, etc.

As to you, you definetely did the right thing. Now you MUST really work on you, and what is GOOD FOR YOU. This will pass, and we are here for you to vent as often as you need.

You have already come a long way, despite what Dr Phil may have said. He has lots of good advice on some subjects, but so far, I have not been real "thrilled" with his handling of alkies and addicts and their families on his programs. JMHO Remember, he is not GOD so take what he says with a grain of salt. Some of his suggestions and solutions look great on paper, but we all know they don't always work with the one in recovery.

Anyway, I think "you've come a long way baby"!!!!!!!!!!

Love and hugs,
Old 01-25-2006, 02:08 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

LOVE your new location SE - keep up the good work girl!
Old 01-25-2006, 03:35 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

ok--first of all--can you be sure to put a new thread up when you know the show will be aired...i dont want to miss it. and part of that reason is,i feel i will be better prepared to ask and say more,if ya know what i mean.i did want to ask if the whole show was on your issue,or just a portion?

someone said something about them doing all these public service ads about the drugs,and cigarettes and yet nothing on alcohol. it really pisses me off. my ex had no clue what it could be doing to him.and by the time we got to that point i was so tired of debating everything else with him,and the cig factor (since he didnt smoke and liked to use that against me),that i didnt even get into it with him.of course,i didnt even know as much back then as i do now about the possible effects. but i do remember he complained alot about pain in his leg from no reason...hmmmmm.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:19 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

but so far, I have not been real "thrilled" with his handling of alkies and addicts and their families on his programs

What's even more odd is that Dr. Phil is an ACOA. His father was an alcoholic.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:08 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

That sure is interesting FD. I have read 2 of his books over and over, before the taping and I never picked up on that.

The show had 2 segments. The first half was Dan and I with Dr P, with the second being a married couple w Dr P. They titled the show Mr Mooch I believe and sort of sugar coated the issue of the alcoholism because they wanted the show to focus on users not alcholics. Yeah, one in the same in my boat.

There was no mention from the other couple of any substance on tape though.

I did get a brow beating for enabling, which I rightfully deserved. I felt like Dan was absolved of any responsibility for his addiction. Almost as to say, well Sarah, you are an enabler and really sick, and Dan you are lazy.

Anyhow, I havent heard from the show yet about when it will air, I will check the website for the list of upcoming shows on Monday for next week, I would think it would be on next week, as they told me within 2 weeks.