Guilty by Association?

Old 01-22-2006, 10:41 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Clancy46 I hear you. And that's my thought process, too. So much I read is about how A is a "family disease." So my thinking is educate, educate and bring the reality of it out into the open. I remain (maybe) surprised that so many people still see A as a character/moral problem. IMO that perception has to change before anything else happens. Thanks
i too believe that education is lacking in the area of alcohol addiction - heck i grew up in an alcoholic household, thought i knew and boy am i ever on a road to learning about addiction. i thought i knew. so many out there haven't a clue.

great thread TG!
Old 01-22-2006, 11:06 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Perhaps to get some attention on these problems, we should get on record, like all of us call ALL criisis lines in our areas, ask for advise as to what help is available when no income because he is in jail due to alcohol?? Any suggestions for help because he spent the rent money and groc money on alcohol ?? The SO seems unstable due to alcohol any suggestions?? SO seems like will hit me any time now due to alcohol??
These places probably required to keep records of each call in order to get the money they need to help people.
All these calls for information should make it look pretty serious. Statistic's.
Isn't that what we need ??
Wouldn't hurt to see what suggestions they make and what help might be available if nessassary. We buy insurance and carry insurance. Calling in questions could be a form of insurance. Also registering statistic's . Am I evil or what??? Don't answer that one.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:16 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pick-a-name
Talk about "an Old Boy Network"....that is what it feels like to me.
Oh,yes; I forgot...........AH golfs and works with many "officials" in this county. Silly me!
Old 01-22-2006, 11:23 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I know I would certainly appreciate it if I got something in the mail that would explain to me what he needs, what's allowed, not allowed, when I can bring it, hell even WHERE I can bring it as I don't have a clue other than it's in Sprinfield, as to where this place is.
He's not a child in school that needs a note sent home! They will tell him, it will be his responsibility to call you and ask you to bring it and where!

TomsGirl, I have very personal experience with this. Believe me, they'll tell him what he needs to know. How he gets it will be his problem.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:34 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

obviously a lot of food for thought - lots of opinions here. i still think education about the disease is very lacking and needed at a very early age - altho i'm not sure on how that would take place - at least if kids were educated about some of the less clinical aspects of the disease it might touch some that are living in the situation.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:22 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

"
Come back again and have a nice day". Hmmmm...I wonder if illegal drug dealers say that to their regular customers too?
You can bet that they do... My H's drug dealer will litterly hunt him down if he does not call...I have been with him when one of his dealers was out looking for him. I know it is dangerous but, I stood up to the guy and told him I did not appericate him taking the money out of our household or the role he plays in my Hs spiritual, mental and,phyiscal decline and I also told him not to ever call my house or come near me least I call the cops...At least the liquor store stays in one place and can't follow someone around town...
Old 01-22-2006, 10:38 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
May it be

Location: A new day. Today I just see bright colors, in the small world of my dreams.
it seems to me that possibly in the future, (if not now) the system wants more house arrest arrangements. Maybe to save money, it costs alot to house them in jails, rehab... This way, they could also get their fines paid, if not by the A, then through the family. But when it gets to the place, where it (all that comes along with having A around) wears out the welcome... You can only take from Paul to pay Peter for so long... When this place is there, it takes A Mightly Long Time to climb out of that Hole. I can rem a bondsman, looking at my collection of credit cards and asking that Maybe a combination of those cards - Could pay for the Bail???... Well, at that time it Couldn't. It was just Too Much & the balances to use - wasn't much left to spend... So in the realm of justice for the poor, a percentage is paid (think it is 10%) and you loose this, no matter what. But if you had all the money for the bond, you get that back after the court hearing....sounds like a fair way... right
In Greenland, they have a dorm style prison, the men can go to work (at their real jobs, making $35,000 - $45,000 yr, (fishermen, timber, etc) so they can help support their families) visit them a short time, then go stay overnite at prison, no fences. But then that is an island, so where are they going to go. It does show that the families aren't penalized. Although, when I read this a few yrs ago, (NY Times article) they were considering something different. For me, I finally came to realize, Yes, it is guilty by association... When at a court hearing, for letting Xabf drive a vehicle that was in my name. They told me that I could be charged for the same thing he was being charged for. Months later... Why else would the constables be at my door, asking me where he was, if he was my husband (told them no way) when I last seen him, etc.... oh, about the same time that I realized that I couldn't go on living this way.