What is a dry drunk?

Old 01-07-2003, 11:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

What is a dry drunk?

Hey guys,

I did a search on the AA board to see if I could find info on the term "dry drunk" but came up with nothing. I've read and heard several explanations of an A being on a 'dry drunk'. Someone set me straight on just what a 'dry drunk' is, or what being on a 'dry drunk' is, please. And if this is just common sense....a drunk who is now dry, ya'll just chalk it up to me having a another DINGBAT attack. Seems I'm having them all the time lately!!!

Thanks,

Hangin' In
Old 01-07-2003, 11:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Just one of the gang

Hi Hangin' in.

"Dry Drunk" is one of those recovery-babble labels. It refers to people who are not actively drinking, but haven't done much about the emotional problems that drove them to alcohol in the first place, and so behave much the same. They are booze free but still likely to be angry, depressed, frightened or otherwise troubled, and probably still spreading their troubles onto somebody else's toast.

Dop
Old 01-07-2003, 11:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

dear hangin,
i have been lead to believe over the years that dry drunk is exactly that. correct me if i'm wrong. it is a alcoholic who is not drinking ,yet not in recovery. the only thing that has changed is the person not using. all of the attitudes and behaviors exist, stinkin thinkin, pity party, anger, and axiety provoking behaviors, it is usually a interim between relapses as the a tries to control his illness. it can be very difficult to live with a dry drunk. they usually don't communicate well on any healthy level. i have met people who i believe have lived a dry drunk for years. no recovery imminent means for difficult relationships.
that's my interpt. any one else with a alanon works book could look it up and quote. i would ,except my book is out on loan.
quacking duck, dry!!
hugs from sugar
Old 01-07-2003, 03:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

That is what I believe my husband is going through. He hasn't had a drink in over 8 years (will be 9years in may). He quit trying to do his steps and going to meetings about 4 years ago, and the sponcer he had was not well enough to really help him anyway. He refuses to talk about anything that has to do with the responsibilities of having a home and raising children. When I ask him about money or doing something around the house he reacts like a teenager would and like I am his mother scolding him. He now says that quitting drinking was stupid because it didn't get him what he wanted, which is for me to stay living in a very unhealthy realationship.
Sometimes you just want to say give that man a beer (or whatever their drink/drug of choice was) and get them out of my misery!! LOL
Hugs
Alicia
Old 01-07-2003, 05:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

Hangin... you must have read my mind!!!!

I just posted that "?" the other day! Someone was nice enuf
to take my inventory for me so I asked Pernell...

Take Care,
K~