Finding Friends who understand

Old 01-08-2006, 08:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finding Friends who understand

Hello,

I'm trying to fiqure out how to start a new thread and hope I can get this right.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

you got it rosemarie! just type away now and tell us a bit about yourself and what brings you here. i was married to my alcoholic husband for almost 15 years - he passed away 4 months ago. have you ever tried al-anon? we're all here to share and help each other. posting here means you want to help yourself! hugs to you!
Old 01-08-2006, 08:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You got it! Welcome!
Old 01-08-2006, 08:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

Hi, RoseMarie, and welcome to SR...

No matter what your situation, you're among friends. If you're suffering due to the disease of alcoholism/addiction in a loved one, then you're definitely come to the right place for support!

I hope you'll stick around and let us get to know you!
Old 01-08-2006, 08:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Yes I have been to al-anon and had a hard time talking. I thought of trying to go again and talking but it scares me to admit to others what I go through I don't know why I'm afraid. Growing up my father was an alcoholic and I never wanted friends to come over to my house. As an adult I'm still this way and I don't have any friends. I don't like when my kids want to bring friends over to play either. They still do it anyway I don't understand my feelings on this subject. Maybe it's just me.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

I've known many people who come to Al-Anon and mostly just listen. There's great wisdom to be gained through hearing others share how they learned to cope with situations similar to those I've experienced.

I know I've never been forced to share at a meeting. It's a gentle program, and recovery is a gentle process. I've had enough harshness in my life growing up with alcoholism in my home...

By the way, I never wanted to invite anyone to my house growing up either. I believed there was a monster living there. Al-Anon helped me name that monster: alcoholism.

Today I refuse to live as if my situation has not changed. Today I do not live with active alcoholism in my home.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm glad you do not live with alcoholism in your house anymore.
My husband progressed to be the alcoholic he is today. When I think of it I have never known any thing different than an alcoholic household. Things for me have progressed to the point where I want a different household environment. Taken the big step out seems hard for me to do.