Hi to everybody:)

Old 01-07-2006, 04:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi to everybody:)

(I love these new smilies)

It's been awhile since I've been on SR. It's good to see all the "family" still here and pluggin' in there.

How was everybody's holidays?

Thanksgiving was great. All the family was together, kids and all. Christmas was tragic, though, for my household.

My ex-brother-in-law, Dan, a 35 yr old divorced father of two small CUTE kids, 6 and 4 yrs old, was found dead in his home on Christmas morning by my ex husband (Dan's older brother. The father of my 26 and 24 yr olds), Bob. Dan had od'd on cocaine. Not an intentional suicide.

My son, Luke, had gone out with Dan the Friday night before and had a few beers. Then, they split up and Luke went to his place and Dan went home to his. He had a cocaine addiction for awhile. A tough year for him and he was just spiraling downward. The family all tried to love him through it, but the drug took over. Luke (nor Dan, for that fact) knew that Dan was gonna go home and do his last round of coke.

Dan didnt show up Sat. night (Christmas Eve) to pick up his kids. That was not like him at all. He always picked his kids up on time. Then, he was missing from a early Christmas morning brunch with all the family. Bob then knew that he had to go look for Dan. He got into his Dan's house and found him on the couch, TV blaring, sitting up. He had vomited out his nose and mouth. Bob knew he was gone.

That was a HUGE shock. Dan had just graduated with his master's degree in business at a large university. Was really well liked and "seemed" to have it together. He did have some tough things happen to him during the year, but he pulled it off like he was okay.

My son, Luke, now feels guilt for being the last one to see him alive. This is thee first major death of someone that's been really close to my kids. especially Luke. Luke's been self-medicating with beers more so after the death.

At the wake after the funeral.......the whole family, friends, colleagues.........etc. got "wasted", toasting beers to Dan. The guy just died of an overdose and people are getting wasted

I'm an RA of 12 years and so I've been talking to grief counselors for my son. He says that he wants to go, but doesn't want to HAVE to go. I can't force him, but I pray that he will go.

So, that's how the New Year started for us.........I'm praying that we all become closer because of this and LEARN.

Good to be here again ((hugs to all))
Old 01-07-2006, 05:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

((GF)) sorry to hear the devastating news! we missed you here and are glad to see you back. prayers to you and your family.

how's myrtle?
Old 01-07-2006, 05:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Awww......hugs to you both BIG TIME!!

Myrtle's cancer has spread from her breast to her lung. She's 77 and doesn't want chemo or radiation (I don't blame her. It made my parents both sicker before they died).

So, she's doing some traveling and kind of saying "good-bye" to her old friends. She's ready to go "Home" to Heaven. She's lived a long, happy life and is very spiritual. She can't wait "to be with Jesus".

SO many will miss her. Me, especially. She took me under her wing when my Mom died and has been a surrogate Mom for me since then. But, no matter HOW much I love her, who am I to wish her to stay here when she really just wants to go?

We just spend as much time together and tell each other how much we love each other as much as possible.

She's a beautiful lady with the greatest spirit and peace about her. I'm so much more blessed by just being able to have had this time with her.

Thanks for asking!!!

How are you guys doing?
Old 01-07-2006, 06:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So nice to see you back, but so sorry for the lose and the sadness in your life.
HUGS and LOVE
Old 01-07-2006, 07:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

sorry to hear about myrtle GF - she sounds like a very special woman. i had someone very similar in my life after my mom passed away who "adopted" me and lost her about 8 years ago so i know how you feel.

i'm hanging in there!
Old 01-08-2006, 02:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That's so good to hear, cwohio!!

Thanks for the welcome back, Idget, cwohio and Clancy! Have missed you all.

Is Savanah still around?
Old 01-08-2006, 02:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Savanah hasn't been on for a while.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ho there Girlfriend!! Been thinking about you. And yes, worrying a tad.

Sorry to hear your tragic story. Give Luke a big hug for me.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Glad you're OK!!
Sorry to hear about what your son's going through... That's gotta be hard on him.
I understand how Myrtle feels. It's how I would hope to face something like that, if I have the strength.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hey girlfriend...so glad to see you here!! sorry your new year is starting out so rough. i hope your son goes for the counseling,prayers for you all.
dont remember reading about myrtle before...sometimes i skip thru the threads,but she sounds like a wonderful person. that is what i would want,and i can only hope i would have her great attitude. you are both so lucky to have had each other in your lives!!
Old 01-08-2006, 03:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Welcome back to the fold, and I am so sorry to hear this sad, tradgic story of addiction taking yet another life.

It scares the shite out of me, and makes me want to continue double-fold my own recovery.

Im so sorry for your son and Dan's small children. I hope your son finds his path to the rooms...prayers for you all!

Christina
Old 01-08-2006, 03:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

Hi GF...glad your'e back. Was wondering of your whereabouts. So terribly sorry to hear about the pain and sorrow your family is going through.

You're all in my prayers as is your dearest friend Myrtle.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Welcome back, Girlfriend. I've missed you. So sorry to hear about your brother-in-law and your friend, Myrtle. 2005 was an especially hard year for me with the loss of my father after a two-week illness and then the near loss of my boyfriend of 23 years, so I feel for you.

My friends here at SR helped me through some very dark times. We're here for you, too.