SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   My Meeting with my Attorney (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/82267-my-meeting-my-attorney.html)

Mr. Christian 01-07-2006 03:39 PM

My Meeting with my Attorney

So I went to see the divorce attorney today.
The drive was long but it was a nice day.
I got to the office and looked around but there was not much going on, kind of dead and then a young pretty blonde came out of one of the doors in jeans and a T-shirt.
She asked if I was Christian and greeted me.

We sat in her office and began, I told her my plight, my fear of paying alimony and all the rest of this mess.

She let me know the following.
Since my wife left in June of 2004, that is when the clock stopped.
She can not claim anything from my new job or I hers.
She made much more $$ then she and me is the one that would be paying alimony not I.
The only thing she could try for is equity in my car, but we can get rid of that with no support to anyone.

I was also told I could get visitation with my stepson.
I told her I really just wanted to be left alone , clean break, I wanted nothing, just to go off on my own.

Now she also felt that I could do this on my own without paying her the $2500 retaining fee.
She told me that she would be my para legal, guide me, and show me what to do and say for the case.

She asked me to fill out the paper work and get it back to her.

I then asked, what is the cost for this.

She sat back and said “Nothing”.
She said she will help me for free, leave her name off the work but be behind me to work with me.
She felt there would be no court time so we should handle it this way.

I was shocked, all I could say was thank you.
I left with a handful of work, but something else happened in there, I was blessed with help when I thought I had none.

minnie 01-07-2006 03:43 PM

((Mr C))

You have found a true angel.

gelfling 01-07-2006 03:47 PM

Oh My God Christian!!!

Talk about being being held by the hand to accomplish something good and healthy for yourself. You have been blessed.

When all is said and done, why not send her a dozen roses to thank her for her advice and assistance?

Mr. Christian 01-07-2006 04:08 PM

I"m shocked that's what I am, very shocked.
I just don't know what to say.

Zoey 01-07-2006 04:10 PM

FINALLY! you got to a lawyer. We fear and imagine the worst, till we just go to find out. Usually most of us are not that lucky on the charges, so you must really be charming and handsome. I am happy for you.

cwohio 01-07-2006 04:10 PM

so glad those extra prayers i said for you were heard mr. c! He does work in mysterious ways you know! i think kathy's idea about the roses is a great one.

TomsGirl 01-07-2006 04:23 PM

Ok, I'm gonna be the fly in the ointment here. As they say "If it's too good to be true it probably is." Are you sure you were speaking to a lawyer and not the cleaning lady? Very good for you if it's all true but I would say to read EVERYTHING you are told to sign very, very carefully.

Mr. Christian 01-07-2006 04:26 PM

No Tomsgirl she is the real deal.
I checked a lot of stuff online and read alot before going in here.
I needed to make sure of some things, but the legal help is a blessing.

FriendofBill 01-07-2006 04:44 PM

God loves you, huh?

rivercitybelle 01-07-2006 04:57 PM

It's amazing how easy things become when we are heading in the direction our HP wants us to move in.

So, back to the paperwork for you!

guyinNC 01-07-2006 08:20 PM

Way to Go!~

I'm happy for you! 06 will be a great year!

Mr. Christian 01-08-2006 07:15 AM

Yes it is amazing when things seem to fall into place.
I still unfortunately still have reservations not because of anyone thing believe me.
I just woke this morning with a heavy heart. Knowing that this seem to be coming to an end with paper work although she seemed to have ended it long ago.

I am still a sap for romantic movies and when one ends with the couple joining together at the final curtain I get choked up.

It’s a messed up life at times and we have to deal with it.
I feel the beginning of course of a weight being lifted, but has it is taken off of me it leave a rather large dent.

After helping with a move today I shall get this paper work filled out.
Not gladly mind you but with the thought that it just is what it is.

minnie 01-08-2006 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Christian
I am still a sap for romantic movies

Is that where you learned what love is, Mr C?

Mr. Christian 01-08-2006 05:19 PM

No Minnie I dont ever remember saying that.
I just no how I feel about a torn relationship , and find myself very emotional about it.

Zoey 01-08-2006 05:39 PM

Hugs, Mr. C. Things will get easier, pain will fade. We can finally smile about the good, but go on.

FormerDoormat 01-08-2006 07:48 PM

Damn those romance novels and romantic movies. They give us false expectations and an unrealistic picture of what love is all about. I'm learning that it's not others who tend to let me down, it my riduculous expectations.

Mr. Christian 01-10-2006 05:24 AM

I really do think when you marry someone it is not ridiculous to think that a person would be loving once they marry you.
I mean we go though life doing things for an out come. I go to work every day and yes, as funny as it seems I expect to be paid for it.
If I take the view in life that everyone will let me down if I have trust and love, that is not only jaded but it is a world without hope.
I think people let us down because of their own faults and then there is that factor of being human and all.
People do change their minds also so we must think of that.
I mean the saying “Let Go and Let God” is giving our will and life over to another.
Is that a expectation also that he will take care of it?

I don’t know.

EndOfRoadWife 01-10-2006 05:45 AM

Good job going to the attorney!!! :)

Mr. Christian 01-10-2006 05:55 AM

Thank you EORW,

I really hated it I tell you, but she seems willing to work with me so on I go.
I already have half my paperwork done!