Got my first al anon meeting on Saturday

Old 01-04-2006, 06:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Got my first al anon meeting on Saturday

I'm totally scared and so very nervous.

I don't like meeting people, and I'm quite shy in the company of strangers.
I'm fine once the ice is broken but I make jokes about serious things when I'm nervous.....I don't wanna make an idiot of myself!!

I'm not sure what to expect. I phoned the lady who runs the al anon meetings and she was lovely. We spoke on the phone for about half an hour and she was really friendly and informative. She said they just meet once a week, have a cuppa and talk.

I don't really like talking in a group setting, do I have to stand up and make a speech? lol
She said I can just listen if I don't feel ready and join in when I am, even after all this, I'm still very apprehensive.

I know I need this, I can't cope with the way things are going for much longer but I think I might find it embarrassing talking to a group of strangers, bth men and women.
Alot of our problems are sexual problems he has, I'd feel weird talking to people about this....argh!

Am just stressing myself out, probably for no reason. I just don't wanna talk myself out of going before Saturday......
Old 01-04-2006, 07:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

good for you! all those things that swirl through our head usually don't ever materialize. i hope this meeting is a good experience for you. i was lucky in that the first meeting i went to was a good "fit" for me and is still my home group a year and a half later. depends on the type of meeting this is. my home group is a topic meeting and you can speak or just listen. good luck and walk thru that door!
Old 01-04-2006, 07:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

You'll be fine...

There are no "you-must-speak-now" rules, at least not where I attend meetings. You're free to sit, listen, not listen, stand, juggle, make faces... whatever lets you feel comfortable!

Dress up as a mime! No one'll dare ask a mime to talk!!!

Seriously, you'll be fine...

Please let us know how it goes!
Old 01-05-2006, 08:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

I was terrified at my first meeting. Unfortunately the topic was "attitude" and when they got to me and asked me if I had anything to say I said, "my attitude sucks" and walked out. That was over 22 years ago.

I again started attending when our son admitted to being an alcoholic. Haven't stopped since. If they ask if you have anything to say, tell them it's your first and would like to listen. I've heard people do that many times. Listening to others and how they're managing their lives is a wonderful learning experience. When you're ready to talk, you'll know it.

Good luck and let us know how the meeting goes.

Blessings
Old 01-05-2006, 08:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

I go to 2 - 3 different meetings a week, and each group is "Al-anon", yet the chemistry of each group is very different. This means if the first group you go to doesn't feel right, perhaps try a group in a different town on a different night of the week.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Missus, you're very brave. I still don't have the nerve to go to a meeting! I hope the meeting helps and that the people there are lovely.