The lesson I learned from my auntie's visit

Old 12-31-2005, 12:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

The lesson I learned from my auntie's visit

is that it's so true that we can learn from even the worse moments in our lives. It took me a few days, but it came to me this afternoon.

I've also discovered is that there is absolutely no one I can rely on in regard to the alcoholics in my life other than myself. Period.

At one point, I considered moving in with her when I got the crappers and decided to split. I am not financially independent and I thought I could live with her until the house was sold and I could make the necessary changes in my life.

With her visit, I realized that I would be jumping from the frying pan into the fire. Life would be twice as bad as it is now and actually thinking of what I went through this past week, my life ain't too damned bad. It does suck...moreso at times, but there are the good times.

For the last few weeks, I knew I had to focus more on myself and charted out the necessary steps I would take to make my life more liveable and bearable. Alanon being the main ingredient. Weekly and more.

For the new year, I won't focus on the fact I'd like to lose weight or quit smoking. I will focus on my mental health. On my "desire" to be free of worry and anger. To make ME happy and to find those ways. I will practice detachment with loving kindness and a gentle hand. I will be mindful, will meditate daily and pray more. I'll begin a journal...one my niece gave me for Christmas and document only the happy, peaceful and happy things that happen daily. Nothing negative will be permitted within it's pages. These things I know I can do. Because I know I've got to start with the simpler things in life in order to accomplish or approach the bigger stuff.

So from my Auntie...my lesson...KISS...keep it simple silly!!!
Old 12-31-2005, 12:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

kathy - that sounds like a real plan to me! wishing you a simply silly new year and many smiles along the way! (())
Old 12-31-2005, 12:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

Originally Posted by gelfling
I've also discovered is that there is absolutely no one I can rely on in regard to the alcoholics in my life other than myself. Period.
Thanks for sharing your story and insights.
A Happy New Year to you and yours.

PS - While I agree with your statement, I might add that you can also rely on your Higher Power

Robin
Old 12-31-2005, 12:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

HP...that's a given. Included with the prayers.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So from my Auntie...my lesson...KISS...keep it simple silly!!!
I'm not sure that kiss and your auntie should be alowed in the same sentence!!

It does sound like a good plan, sometimes it's so easy to concentrate on the things we want and don't have rather than the stuff that we've got already!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU!!

(The smoking thing didn't have anything to do with my gross post did it?)
Old 12-31-2005, 01:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

course not!!!

And a happy, prosperous and healthy new year to you dear heart.