Face swelling?

Old 12-06-2005, 07:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Face swelling?

I just seen my husband for the first time in a few months and when I looked at him I felt sick. His face is so swollen. What in the world could do this? Is this a typical sign of major alcoholism? He looks really really bad.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Perhaps it's a sign of liver failure. Why don't you do a Google search on "face swelling" + alcoholism and see what turns up?
Old 12-06-2005, 07:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
"The BAND" workshop ROCKS!

or if he's taking steroids for any medical condition. That's one of the first things that steroid use does.

Stormy, I'm home, PM me please.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My brother's face would be swollen and red when he was drinking bad. Thank heavens he has been sober for many years.
Hugs and Prayers,
Loulouise
Old 12-06-2005, 10:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Same thing w/ my ex, very swollen face, rest of her body was emaciated.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

Hi Soulcatcher, My Dad became very swollen before he died due to congestive heart failure. Which was a direct result of his drinking. It could possible be his liver like the others have suggested. I hope it isn't anything too serious. With love,
Old 12-07-2005, 07:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you. I will check that site stormy. I did a google search but all I could find was allergic reactions from drinking. Not from a drinking problem. I thought about that reader.He swears his liver tests have come up fine but I think he's lying. He has a funky odor to him too. Like a sweet vodka smell. I was embarrassed when he was sitting next to me. I knew everyone could smell him. I didn't say anything to him until later and did it nicely. We had a talk. He wants to get better and admitted that he's having a really bad time with it. He says he's disgusted when he looks in the mirror and I told him I understood and I told him that it's up to him to turn it around and hopefully it's not too late.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think alcohol makes people retain fluid.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I agree with meli2005......I know if I had a little too much to drink I feel a bit bloated...
My ex used to get that swollen red face too...can only assume it is from too much alcohol consumption.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My SO's eyes are all puffy ans swollen and yellowish white around them, and the rest of his face is beet red. Like he was sunburned with Goggles on.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Alcohol affects the body in many ways (chronic use effects are generally more apparent), here are a few that contribute to edema (excess fluid in body tissues):

Decreased production of ADH (anti-diuretic hormone), this "makes you pee", dehydrating the vascular system and effects electrolytes (eg.. sodium, potassium, calcium) by retaining or expelling them in greater or lesser quantities, this has much to due with the persons kidney or liver fuction. The end result being fluid volume deficit, isotonic (fluid and lytes lost in equal proportions) or dehydration,osmolar (loss of all or mostly water).

Decreased albumin (a major protein in blood) and other blood protein synthesis from ETOH effects on liver and kidneys.

Many effects on the heart, liver, and kidneys.

Edema may be caused in different ways (though, to my Knowledge, there is no significant literature on why it is commonly seen around the face in chronic ETOH abusers), here are a few related to the above contributers.

A defecit in the serum electrolyte sodium results in a low serum osmolality, water is drawn out of the vascular compartment into the interstitial tissues.

A low albumin level decreases the colloid osmotic pressure(opposes the hydrostatic pressure from the heart) in the vacular compartment, with a lower COP the HsP pushes more water out into the interstitial space than is retained by the COP.

There are many other conciderations regarding heart, liver, and kidney problems that relate to edema.

Regards,

allthesetheoryscouldchangeintenyrs
Old 12-07-2005, 02:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I also got a bill today that says IV therapy/Chemo. I actually got several medical bills. He finally changed the address back to this one. There is one for an abdominal x-ray. Another for an ambulance trip, another for the chemo, another for a series of test. ALL on different days and different months. I know he mentioned when I saw him yesturday that he is ALWAYS thirsty. Really thirsty.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm not a doctor but thirstyness is also a symptom of diabetes.

my recent exbf was a smoker, alcoholic and a diabetic..not a good way to live.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'll bring that up to him to get checked for. Thanks