What else can go wrong !!! ...

Old 12-05-2005, 11:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DES

Question What else can go wrong !!! ...

First post, looks like a nice busy helpfull forum here! I've got my own problems, quit drinking after 30 yrs., 2 1/2 weeks ago but first things first. I looked at some of the options on the web today and made some local calls, I'm totally overwhelmed, read below.

I have an adult daughter, 22yo, that is on her own in another town who we've been helping get through nursing school. She moved out to be on her own when she was 18yo. Yesterday afternoon she called and said she was on her way in to town to see us and needed to talk.

Long story short. She told me is on heroin. She told me that she has been in detox several times for that and other drugs and has also been in Narcotics Anonymous. She can't get off the stuff for good. As of last night she hadn't used for 3 days. She wants to get clean and she knows she can't do it on her own and wants help.

Her feelings are that she needs to go into a long term treatment program, 30 plus days. She has checked into some programs on the web and some of the prices are extremely high. Two she metioned were in CA. and Canada. I'd like to find something closer, central US, St. Louis, Chicago, Indy??? There is no insurance involved so cost is a factor. We also want one that doesn't use prescription drugs in the therapy. Her mom died of complications from prescription drugs. She was working two or three doctors at a timeto get her drugs and after years of that it finally caught up with her.

What I'm looking for is personal experience, referrals, anything!!! She gave me some links but I havn't checked them out yet. Does anyone have any suggestions???
Old 12-05-2005, 11:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
DES

Hope I put this in the right forum!!!
Old 12-05-2005, 12:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

DES - welcome and congrats on an awesome sobriety record. you may want to post on the nar-anon section - those folks may be able to better answers questions you have.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Des and welcome to SR

Congratulation on your 21/2 weeks , great effort.

cwohio is right , those guys in nar-anon really know their stuff and are very supportive, I am sure you will get lots of great advice really soon.
I do hope evrything works out for you and your daughter, you seem to have been thru the mill.

REMEMBER be kind to you !

HUGX
Lee
Old 12-05-2005, 12:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
DES

Yes I have been through the mill. On top of it all my wife of 11 plus yrs told me that she wants to leave me, she's still home for now and I'm holding out hope! Say a prayer for us!
Can't eat, can't sleep but I'm hanging in there. I need to get myself to an AA meeting soon, havn't done that yet.
Thanks for the nice reply!!!

Doug
Old 12-05-2005, 12:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

good luck doug - sorry to hear it's all crashing down at once. take care of YOU first!
Old 12-05-2005, 12:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
DES

cwohio and justme, thanks again!! I just posted this in nar anon.

Doug
Old 12-05-2005, 12:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

no problem - lots of great folks on this site willing to share experience, strength & hope - also a few laughs and other stuff!
Old 12-05-2005, 12:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
On a tear

Hi Des...

As you probably know - the really great, wonderful, exciting thing is she is asking for help!!! Breaking through denial can take a really long time... well, thirty years sometimes! (smile)

Congrats to you on YOUR sobriety, too. And welcome to Sober Recovery (SR).

My kids are both addicts, I am an alcoholic, married to one and daughter of some.

My 2 kids went to 4 rehabs in 18 months, (and one was kicked out of another during that same time). The rehab *I* really, really like is here in Washington State... http://www.sundown.org - The Sundown M Ranch.

It isn't really a ranch - but it is located in a private little canyon in Eastern Washington. The staff are SO good, and they have one of the strongest family programs that I've heard of (family is requested to spend nearly a week there working on FAMILY issues and learning about THAT side of addiction).

I know money is an issue, as it was for us - but if your daughter is an adult and has limited income, she may qualify for state funding, and this facility has some beds available under state funding each month.

The rate when my kids went was about 5-6 thousand dollars... but that was about half what most of the other facilities charged (one in Utah wanted something like 35,000... for a month!).

Sundown uses the "Minnesota Model" based a bit on the Hazelden method of rehabilitation - they use the 12-steps, too. I don't know what Hazelden costs, but it might be closer. http://www.hazelden.org

Again - congrats to both of you!

Sending prayers that this can be her time - and that you both maintain the strength and conviction to make it through the tough times.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi again Des

I just wanted to offer you encouragement on YOUR recovery too.Don't forget to do what you need to do for YOU. An AA meeting sounds like a good option , you will need some "tools" in your account too

Best luck

HUGX
Lee
Old 12-05-2005, 08:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear your bad news, but good news that your daughter wants some help. That's great. I wish I had some suggestions. They all are expensive, but I know the one my AH was at had a payment program that seemed fairly reasonable if you did not have insurance.