I am wondering?

Old 11-29-2005, 02:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

I am wondering?

Hi, Rara's post from today got me to thinking about our backrounds. It seemed to me like many of us come from Irish Catholic Families. I know that many of my guilt issues come from what I call Irish quilt. I caught myself saying to my daughter who was being very rude and hurtful to me that I almost died giving you life and you treat me this way. Or I cooked all day making this stew and you won't even try it. Please share your backround and any stories you feel comfortable sharing. Kerry
Old 11-29-2005, 03:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
brightlight

Hummmmmm, I am not an Irish Catholic, but I was raised Catholic. I went to Catholic schools. I was starting to think I acted like my dad with trying to pour guilt on my family. Things like what you said and today I said something to my kids like they were no fun to cook for because they do not eat and nothing sounds good to them. Everything I suggest is nooooo I don't want that. I have been after everybody lately demanding respect. I work hard and this is how you treat me???? My dad did things like this to us. His family came from Scotland. I think there is something to the Catholic part. I do not go to the Catholic church and my husband is Baptist and my kids go to the Baptist Church, but I think there is something to the Catholic part and quilt.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Brightlight, I am a catholic school girl too!!
Old 11-29-2005, 05:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

Me too - I went to schools with saints names (St. Catherines., St. Patrick's), and they had real nuns teaching there!

Catholic guilt packs a powerful punch.... I prefer the HP concept - much more comforting..

Robin
Old 11-29-2005, 05:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I picked up the love of drinking Bourbon. Too much Irish in me. And boy do I have the Irish attitude. I quit drinking and I'm working on the attitude...lol
Old 11-29-2005, 05:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by reader
I almost died giving you life and you treat me this way.
I prefer Bill Cosby's classic...
"I brought you into this world, and I can take you out too."
As if anyone couldn't guess...I am the product of 12 (count'em 12) years of Catholic schooling.
I am convinced that in some nursing home, somewhere...nuns are still praying for the redemption if my immoral soul.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

I was a bruised and abused product of a catholic education. I was a 3rd grade runaway from St. Andrew's. I was constantly pounded by St. Vincent for grinning. Now tell me, how many 3rd graders know what grinning means... Even in my youth, I got hell for being happy. I'd walk off the school grounds and walk 3 miles home. Also the recipient of the ruler across the knuckles for whatever reason or supposedly wicked act I committed.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I still have issues when applying lipstick!! I have Sister Monica in my head saying only Jezabels wear lipstick she even called my mother for lipgloss. I swear I am overweight because we had to eat all our lunch because there were straving children. At 38 I still have to remind myself that it is ok to feed it to the dog. If someone could read my thoughts I would be committed! Kerry
Old 11-30-2005, 05:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well, I am not a catholic! My guilt came from a good old fashoned alcoholic upbringing! I am mostly over that now though. But I DO have a question..(seriously)......What is the difference between Catholic, and Irish Catholic????
Old 11-30-2005, 05:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gelfling
I was constantly pounded by St. Vincent for grinning.
Gelf, look at St. Vincent...

Now that's a grin if I ever saw one.
Pounded for grinning...jeeze, yeah?
Old 11-30-2005, 05:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

OMG Gabe...I thought it was Sister Vincent without the black habit!!! Too funny.

I was constantly pounded by St. Vincent for grinning.
Good grief, I just read my post. Guess I should have said beat the hell out of me and Sister Vincent. I'm surprised Jazz hasn't picked up on this yet.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Catholic for me too. Had to go to CCD (Sunday school) up until 12th grade. I like someone else here said, like the HP and a loving, understanding God. Not one to be feared and punished by as we may have been brought up to believe. I'm more spiritual then religious as an adult.