Weird sleep question

Old 11-25-2005, 01:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Binge poster

Weird sleep question

Hi there

Ok, I guess that nearly everyone here can say that they've experienced stress

I've got a weird thing happening to me when I wake up, in the middle of the night or when the alarm goes off. I shake all over, from my bones out (have looked at my hand in the murk and it's shaking on the outside too) and it lasts for about 10, 20 seconds. It's almost like a mini fit thing.
I've done some stupid self-diagnosis searching on the net to see what it might be, and stress seems to be the main suspect.

So, stress buddies, has anyone heard of this? Experienced it?

J
xxx
Old 11-25-2005, 02:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Sure sounds stress related to me. I can't imagine all the different way stress could manifest itself but have struggled with sleep issues a great deal myself. Don't let this go too long without seeing a Dr... OK?
Old 11-25-2005, 03:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Binge poster

Yeah, I'm thinking that way..I just wondered if anyone has had this happen to them.
It's unendingly bizarre the way stress manifests itself.

Best register with a doctor then lol.

What kind of sleep disorder is it you suffer from?

J
xxx
Old 11-25-2005, 03:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Very little to begin with.Then those folks from work keep calling me for Tech support.. All hours of the night. So rack it up to work and 15 months stress! LOL!!
Old 11-25-2005, 04:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please see the doctor and have a blood test for diabetes.

Just my thought...I am not a medical profession but I am a diabetic. When my blood sugar drops I begin to shake.
OJ makes it quit.

Hugs...
Old 11-25-2005, 05:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

jane - never had something like that happen. i'm with the others - get it checked out. i haven't slept thru the night much in years. i think it's a combination of stress, wonderful world of menopause and you know, what jazz was talking about - ahhh being a woman, ain't it grand!
Old 11-25-2005, 08:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bahookie
... So, stress buddies, has anyone heard of this? Experienced it? ...
Definetly see a doc. Just in case it's not plain ol' stress. Things to look for that your doc will want to know.

- Are your hands and feet unusually cold when this happens? Hold your hands against your face and into your armpits to see if they're very cold.

- Do you know how to take your blood pressure and heart rate? If so, take them _while_ you're having the "shivers". If you don't know how; find a nurse at a meeting that can teach you how.

- As Carol said, blood sugar problems can cause the shivers. Take a small pad of paper and note your _moods_ right before and after a meal. Do you get depressed before a meal and crave sugar or other sweet food? Do you feel much happier and energetic shortly after eating sugar or sweet food?

Yours truly has both hypoglycemia and bad circulation. Either one will give me a noticeable tremor from time to time. Add stress to that mix and there's times I can look like a blender

Mike :-)
Old 11-25-2005, 08:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Binge poster

Thanks Mike...

Not cold when I wake up definitely but I can hear my heart beat really fast (I wear earplugs that amplify all internals ).

I think maybe the time has come to register with a doctor. Our village doctor would give you an aspirin and a sticking plaster if you went in with your leg hanging off... now I can go to a big townie one.

Thanks for all your comments everyone!

Jane
xxx
Old 11-25-2005, 08:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

Jane, are you on any type of AD's. When I took wellbutrin, I had tremors when I first woke up in the morning. I've been off them for over 10 months and still occasionally get like that.

Hugs,
Old 11-26-2005, 01:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Binge poster

no, on nothing but caffeine! But only in the daytime, I stop about 6pm.
thanks though

J
xxx
Old 11-26-2005, 04:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Reikihelps

Hi Bahookie,

Of course there are a million reasons why this could be happening. Be sure to ask to have your thryoid checked. If there are no physical culprits, anxiety has many faces. But first let your doc do the thinking. She/he will be much more knowledgable than us!!
best wishes to you
Old 11-26-2005, 04:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
On a tear

Jane -

Our family has something called "essential tremor" - just a trembling that starts in our mid teens and gets worse over the years. Toward the end of his life, dad couldn't sign checks anymore or eat in public very well.

I think it contributes to me waking with the "hard shakes"... but only when I wake up suddenly - like with a ringing phone or someone unexpected in the room (husband used to work nights and I'd waken when he came home - it would take a few minutes for the shaking to subside). For me, the shaking can be so bad that it looks like I am having a little seizure or something... but the worst of it goes away in a minute or so.

My hands shake all the time, and if I am tired or over stressed, my head trembles a bit, too. My brother had it and my aunt and my dad... Doc told me that most folks just learn to live with it.

I agree with the others that a doc's advice is best, and I would be sure to mention the caffeine to the doc, too.... much as I love my coffee, it exacerbates some of this crap.

I wish you the best....