The holidays are upon us-would like to hear how you cope

Old 11-22-2005, 02:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The holidays are upon us-would like to hear how you cope

It's that "jolly" time of year when it seems the A really gets into the spirit - literally - as in 80 proof spirit! Last year brought with it the usual binges, insanity, lonliness. I watched a 47-year-old man eat his Thanksgiving dinner with his hands because he was too drunk to pick up a knife and fork. I ended up in the basement working on school projects and eating my dinner down there.

It was right after that lovely time of year that I started going to Al-Anon. It's amazing how in four months I was beginning to find serenity in the midst of the cyclone.

Just wondered about some of the situations you have faced and how you've handled them. I mean, having one's husband fall face-first into his dinnerplate in front of 30 family members takes a bit of detaching, doesn't it?
Old 11-22-2005, 02:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Id say it does!

Thanksgiving for me and my boy will be spent in my home, me cooking a turkey, serving to a wonderful sponsee/friend whose husband is in rehab (Yay for that) and her two kids.

I have a lot to be thankful for..when I remember to be thankful....

this year is the first year the holidays dont hurt so bad, I have great friends, one of whom is flying in to visit me on T-day, I have a job I like, I like my home and car, I have a new way of life....

nice!
Old 11-22-2005, 09:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Last year, we had Thanksgiving at my home. Just my son and I, my husband stopped by for about an hour and had to work, so he said. This year I am spending Wednesday and Thursday night with my relatives. I will spend two nights. and help with Thanksgiving dinner. My husband and I haven't talked about Thanksgiving dinner. Why? He is working and I will not make dinner just to have him here for one hour. The way I figure it, he knows where my family lives, he is welcome to join us. It is his choice, just like I am making it my choice to no longer live around him. My oldest son and granddaughters are also going over there. My 14 year old son will visit and play games with his cousins. So I am having a great Thanksgiving. I hope all of you have a great Thanksgiving. If not with relatives or loved one, may you have a day without worries.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

1)Prayer and thankfulness because things could be worse then what they are.
2)Understanding of the fact... people need go through the pit before they reach bottom and start to look up.
3) Enjoy what little I have to the fullest and enjoy the fullness I have to the most of my ability.
I ended up in the basement working on school projects and eating my dinner down there

I would enjoy that anyway. 2 papers due on Monday and the time to do them seems to run out most weeks. Last minute rush or getting them done early? Yes I would enjoy that very much.