Savana?

Old 11-17-2005, 03:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

Savana?

Savana, Where are you! You haven't been around much. I know you are feeling terrible. Just know I am thinking about you and I hope things are improving. Kerry
Old 11-17-2005, 03:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

Hi Kerry!!

I'm still here..lurking and reading posts here and there. I just posted at the bottom of my thread thats above this one.

I need some advice on my landlord and the whole situation. I will copy and paste what I wrote on my other thread.

Thanks for the kind thoughts, kerry.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

Awwww! Thanks everyone!

The situation with my landlord is driving me crazy!!! He is trying to work with me. He even said he would take less rent this month. But then he calls me everyday, and starts stressing me out so bad!! He's like "what about December's rent?" and here I'm thinking "one day at a time."

He put an ad in the paper for my apartment and put my number in the ad, as I didn't feel comfortable dealing with the perverted property manager. How bad is that that I told him the property manager is a total perv, and could be sued for sexual harrasment, and could be a major liablity to him. And all he says is that he can't fire him.....Hmmmmmmmmmmm!!!! Weird!!!

So now he wanted to put the next door neighbors phone number in the ad because he's afraid I might not return people's calls, as he says he's been "screwed" in the past with similiar situations. This girl is the one screwing the property manager and she never really liked me since I've moved in; and she may have a key to my apartment??? I don't think soooooooo!!!

I'm really disappointed at this guys lack of professionalism. He's stressing me out more then the whole situation itself. Calling me everyday like some kind of bill collector; finally I told him just kick me out if you feel better about it. Gawwwwddddddddddddd I don't need to deal with this crap!!!

Sorry for the vent!!
Old 11-18-2005, 06:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Savana...Protocol is this (at least in Illinois) for eviction.
1. He sends you a Landlords 5 day notice for non-payment of rent.
2. After the 5 days is up he sends it to the attorney for processing.
3. Attorney files it with the court system and you recieve a court date
this generally takes 7-14 days depending on the courts case loads.
4. The day you go to court you can ask for a trial. Trial could be anywhere from 7 to 14 days as well.
5. At trial if you do not have all money due the judge will decide how soon you should be out. In most cases he will give til the end of the month.
This whole process could take anywhere from 30 to 45 days depending on how quicky his attorney and cities court system moves.

He can not throw you out without legal procedures. It is against the law.
I don't think it is legal for him to constantly harrass you either....

I hope things get better for you soon, I hate that you are suffering so much.
(((Savana)))
Old 11-18-2005, 08:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Savana,

Your landlord should not be harassing you..Tell him to knock it off..Here's a link that might be helpful. I'd call them and find out what you can do..

http://www.tenantsunion.org/
Old 11-18-2005, 12:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

Thanks for the input minx and patty.

Do you think it would be considered harassment that he has an ad in the paper for my apartment?

I guess it's the codie in me that is allowing him to keep bugging me, as I feel "so bad." I find it hard to just stand up for myself and say "I don't have the money, when I do I will let you know, until then don't keep calling me every few days." Ugggghhhhhhhh!!!

He is quite aware of the laws as far as eviction goes. He just doesn't want to pay for an attorney. And of course I wouldn't want it to go that far; I would leave before it came down to that.

How would any of you handle it??
Old 11-18-2005, 12:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The whole eviction thing is just a way for you to buy time...
You can make payment arrangements with him later for balance due.
No I do not think it is harrassment that he has an ad in the paper,
after all you told him you can not pay and seems like you agreed that
you would move. He after all owns real estate to make money, which you
most certainly can understand.
I would personally try to find something else to rent as soon as possible.
In the meantime, tell him to stop calling you, you will pay him when you have it
and leave it at that.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

I have paid him about half of the rent. I'm still trying to come up with the rest.

I'm trying to look for something less expensive, as you would have read that in my other thread awhile back. But of course I don't have the deposit plus the first month's rent to get into a new place. I'm working on it though.

Thanks
Old 11-18-2005, 12:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think calling you every day when you have tried to negotiate an arrangement with him is harrassment..Of course you could set a boundary with him. "Please don't call me every day. I will pay you X amount a week" or something like that..

I agree with what Patty said about eviction is a way to buy time..He may just be bluffing..so you could call his bluff..

Keep calling those churches etc! about rent.