My Christmas Miracle

Old 12-14-2002, 10:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

My Christmas Miracle

Hi Gang

A wonderful, wise recovering A from these boards (who shall remain anonymous) told me recently to never give up hope, miracles happen every day.

Well today, I got mine. My son, who has been MIA for a couple of weeks, called me last night and told me he had enough and that he was ready to go to a long-term program as soon as he could.

I picked him up this morning and took him to Detox, where he will stay for at least 72 hours, and from there he will either go to a 6 month program that he had asked about a while back, or to a pre-program house to wait for an opening.

For the first time, he is going without a girlfriend in the wings waiting to see how he does, no police hot on his trail or pending court cases, and no pressure from my husband or I. He is going for himself and to try to salvage his life.

Thank you everyone here who has encouraged me and given me the strength and wisdon to sit back and take my "hands off the addict". Thank you, anonymous recovering A, who took time to talk to me and encourage me.

And thank you God.
Old 12-14-2002, 10:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ann!

That is so wonderful to hear! No matter how much we detach, it's still exhilerating and heartening to see the people we love makes steps toward recovery. I'll keep praying right along with you.

Hugs,
Smoke
Old 12-14-2002, 12:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Ann!

I am so happy to hear your news!! You have been so strong, but we know isn't easy.

Having a happy holiday isn't dependent on him being clean and sober but it will be all the more joyous knowing he is safe!

Hugs,
JT
Old 12-14-2002, 01:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

Oh Ann!!! I am so happy for you and even happier for your son.
I can't imagine how hard it has been for you because you have been in your situation a lot longer than I have been in mine. But let me assure you that your strength, hope and experience has spoken volumes to me and I know to many, many others on here.

Tell your son we are so proud of him, and we will be praying for him. And, of course, you will continue to be in our prayers, also.

I sit here with tears in my eyes, tears of joy for you and tears of gratitude, also. For as big as this world is, our HP still has the ability to bring those of us with common problems and interests together to support one another. That's just one of the many things I have to be thankful for, especially during this holiday season.
Old 12-14-2002, 01:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Alleluia! Alleluia Alleluia!

love,
live
Old 12-14-2002, 03:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Grace Under Fire

Happy Holidays!
This is wonderful news, and you are such
a role model for me. You and your son
are always in my prayers.

Love and hugs,
Old 12-14-2002, 03:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am so happy for you Ann.

There's a great lesson in your story,
that if we stay out of the way and let god in,
he can have enough room to perform
the miracle we have been praying for
(even without assistance from us)

I can't tell you how thrilled I am. You are a role model for so many here and you deserve the best that life has to offer. I am personally going to say a thank-you to god for this one.

Stay close, having the addict in recovery is just the next phase, a better one, but challenging just the same. We're always here for you, ready to cheer you on, cry with you, laugh with you, or escape to the padded room. Whatever you need, we all care so much and are so happy for you and your family.
Old 12-14-2002, 05:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Thank you all for being so sweet.

I know that the real recovery begins when the program is over, and that it will always be one day at a time, and to be truthful I never know what the future holds for any of us...but I know that I am grateful that he is trying one more time, never giving up.

And I am grateful that my program protects me from worrying where his program will take him.

As my recovering A friend said....miracles happen every day.
Old 12-14-2002, 05:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Paused

HOW WONDERFUL, ANNS!!!

My heart smiles for you tonight, Anns----what a wonderful Christmas present!!!! You have to be flying high from the exhilaration of knowing your son is reaching out for a better life!!! I hope that you will continue to take care of you and that you will continue to let us know of his progress!!! Praise God!!! Love and prayers---LACEEJOE
Old 12-14-2002, 07:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Dear Ann -

This is a season of miracles and my heart is right there with you. I am so happy for you and your son. In the life we live and with all our tools, there is nothing like knowing they are safe and in recovery ... just for today.

Hugs and prayers,

deedee
Old 12-15-2002, 02:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Your news is truly a blessing and a gift from God anns!

He has blessed you because you are our ANGEL! You are always there for us and now this wonderful turnaround with your son.

Miracles Do happen! You only have to believe and have faith.

This really is the best gift you could have this Christmas.

My prayers are always with you,
matters
Old 12-15-2002, 05:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

******{Ann}}}}

Great news!! I am so happy for you that your son is finding his way on his own

Many hugs.
Love,
Debbie
Old 12-15-2002, 06:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
No More Mrs. Nice Guy

Anns,
I rejoice with you! This is yet another testimony to the power of prayer and of the program. Each has to find his or her own bottom, and for some it's much deeper into Dante's Inferno than for others.

Thank you for continuing to share your experience, strength and hope with us. We love you, and your son!

Osier59
Old 12-15-2002, 09:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Ann, Horay!!!

Lets just hope you can donate that walker and hope that you don't need to donate it to me. I'm so hopeful for your son. Tell him I'm proud of him.

Hugs,
MG

Old 12-16-2002, 09:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Paused

I am so happy for you and your son, anns, what wonderful news! Hugs to you both!
Old 12-16-2002, 09:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you Anns for sharing your life with us. This is such wonderful news. And such a gift to me today. I really needed to hear that miracles happen, and I know it is true. I feel a bit discouraged and this has given me a lift and hope. God is at work in the world. Love to you and your son.
Old 12-16-2002, 09:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Paused

(((ANNS)))

How wonderful! Anns, I truly am praying for you and your son. May you both have a great (and grateful) holiday!
Old 12-16-2002, 01:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Paused

Anns...... I feel so happy 4 u!!!! Truly each time i remember the day my mom asked for help it lights my day...

I hope everything works out for him... I´m sure that with a wonderful mother like you by his side he´s gonna make just fine.

A very big hug and all my best wishes.

Agos

P.S: He never forgets us huh. (H.P)
Old 12-16-2002, 01:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

Oh Ann -
This is such great news!! I am very happy for your family.

After reading your post I closed my eyes and I remembered that feeling, that feeling that your son had when he called you, that feeling of surrender. I have to remember that feeling to stay sober.

God Bless him!!!!
Old 12-16-2002, 06:05 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

You are all so sweet - thank you.

He is day 3 at Detox, and as it is Monday they could only start making the phone calls today. Detox has told him he can stay as long as it takes to get hooked up with a program and he is still as willing as ever...even with a few days clean.

I do feel relieved and grateful too. The rest is still between him and God. But I have a feeling that those two are very connected right now.