Differences between Men and Women

Old 11-02-2005, 02:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Differences between Men and Women

Defending the Caveman
A couple weeks ago it was suggested to start a thread on this subject. I immediately had this idea for a post, it’s just been a while coming....<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

The fundamental differences between men and women, as interpreted by a very funny guy. I once saw a show called Defending the Caveman, a live comedy written by Bob Becker. His show opens with a video of a typical husband and wife team getting ready to go out for the evening. The first scene is the wife deciding what to wear for the evening. She walks into her closet, selects one of the many neatly hanging dresses, holds the dress up in front of her in the mirror, decides against that outfit and neatly hangs it back in the closet. She then selects another dress, holds it up in front of the mirror and decides this is what she will wear. The scene then cuts to the husband, also getting ready to go out for the evening, leaning over the dirty clothes hamper in his closet sorting through all his dirty underwear, smelling each one to find just the right pair that has one more “wear” left in them. The audience starts laughing at that point and does not stop for 90 minutes. <o:p></o:p>

Bob Becker begins his monologue and introduces the audience to HIS rationalization of the difference between men and women. He argues that we as a species, evolved as a hunter-gatherer society. Where each sex evolves specific skill sets required for their specific role. Men the hunters and Women the gatherers. <o:p></o:p>

To be a successful hunter, you must evolve keen hunting skills like the ability to focus very intensely. Example being hunting the prey animal for food to bring back to the cave to sustain the family. The hunter develops tunnel vision, no talking, no sounds, immune to distractions, intense concentration required to sneak up on the prey animal. He gives the modern day example of watching the television. Explains that when the wife is talking to the husband while he’s watching TV she is ignored. Until the wife actually walks up and pokes the husband does it break his intense tunnel vision focus. <o:p></o:p>

To be a successful gatherer, women have evolved highly specific awareness skills to “take in” everything in their environment. Women must be very good at working as a team with the other gatherers and have developed highly keen communication and observation skills within their group. Example being the ability to notice all the roots, plants and vegetation, and medicinal herbs that can be gathered and brought back to the cave to sustain the family. He gives the modern day example of shopping. When women go shopping they tend to take their time, notice everything in their environment. Women prefer to shop as a group, share their feelings with each other and nurture good communications within the group. While shopping it is not necessary to only focus on items required to sustain the family, the bonding experience is the main goal.<o:p></o:p>

He gives a night at another couples house as another example. The husband and wife go to a friends house for dinner. They all enjoy a nice meal w/ general small talk around the table. After the meal they pair up by sexes. The men disappear to the garage and the women sit down in the living room and have a good chat. The evening closes and the husband and wife are now driving home. The Wife says, “Did you know Mary and John were having marital problems? Mary feels as thought the intimacy is lacking in the relationship and John seems to be preoccupied with something else. Did John say anything to you?” The husband replies, “Nope, not a thing”. The wife then says, “You guys spent two hours in the garage and he mentioned nothing to you about their marital problems? What did you guys talk about for TWO hours?” The husband replies, “John showed me a new power saw he bought”. The wife assumes the husband has more details but is withholding these details for some unknown reason. The reality is the husband HAS no more details and the men really DID talk about power saws for two hours.<o:p></o:p>

I can't give anymore of the show away and I could not do it justice. I would suggest this show to everyone.<o:p></o:p>

http://www.cavemania.com/<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>
Old 11-02-2005, 02:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I like it - very funny!

One thing that allowed us to leave caves was the ability to adapt our thinking, language and culture to new enviroments, perhaps that would be a good thing to be remembered by both sexes!

On differences between men and women, I think they are overplayed. We share a huge amount, so much that it becomes hard to focus on, which is why I believe the differences become the focus. I imagine the balance between similarity and difference is roughly equal in proportion to our genetic similarity vs difference between us.

Then there's another interesting point, in artificial intelligence research they found that placing instinctive 'drives' in AI units was hugely unsuccessful, and yet the more basic the intelligence of a life form the more that life forms behaviour is governed by it's genetics (less adaptable, less individual, less flexible). the problem was AI hadn't yet created forms intelligent enough to overide 'instinct' when needed - not even as clever as real bugs! The more complex the intelligence of a life form is, the more able it is to have executive control over it's 'genetic' behaviour - it can chose to migrate to escape a cold winter - or to stay, it doesn't fly east in response to an automatic body clock!

As humans we have exceptional abilities to go beyond behaviour written purely in our genes - think carefully about what you're doing right now, reading this, this forum, a woman's response, a man's post, a discussion...

We don't live in caves anymore and we are adapting - watch this space.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Originally Posted by equus
On differences between men and women, I think they are overplayed.
Absolutly! And the differences are best viewed from a comedic perspective, helps promote peace, love and understanding between the sexes
Old 11-02-2005, 08:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I saw that show a few years ago too.....hope you guys get a chance to see it....