Cravings

Old 10-31-2005, 11:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cravings

This may be a silly comparison, but I have at least a little bit of insight into cravings and addiction.

I have been tracking what I eat because I was suspecting that I was extremely sugar sensitive. My results proved that sugar was definitely affecting my mood and my state of mind during the day. So I decided to drop it and all refined carbs. Whoa.

I made it a week. All week long, all I thought about was sugar. Cheez-Its. Honey buns. Twix bars. It seemed to be a constant in the back of my mind that I was missing something that was so imperative to my life. Seven days later, I started planning my slip. I didn't want my husband to know (he was so proud that I was sticking to the commitment), so I made a stupid excuse to go to the grocery store. Once there, I "had" to go ahead and buy Halloween candy for the kids tonight! I brought it home, and I bragged about how I bought only candy that wasn't my favorite kinds so that I wouldn't be tempted. The second he fell asleep on the couch...well....um, suddenly that candy was my favorite kind after all. I didn't eat a bunch, but the fact is, I did. And then I realized...I had planned a relapse!!! My brain craves sugar to stay "normal." Again, I know sugar is not going to ruin my life like alcohol, but it gave me some insight. Just thought I'd share.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've had that too! It's crazy. I'm the same way with sugar. Sometimes I swear I need it. Some people don't believe it but I've actually had cravings for chocolate just about as bad as my cravings for cigarettes. Oh and I'm supposed to be on a diet and I've snuck 2 chocolate bars in the car on my way home from the store in the last two weeks. I literally ate them really fast before I got home and hid the wrappers. Terrible huh? It does kinda make you think.....
Old 10-31-2005, 12:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes! And then yesterday, while my H was pumping gas, I went in the grocery store for some hair product, and I stopped at one of those little Russell Stover stands where you can deposit $.25 for 3 little pieces of candy without going through the register. I did this INTENTIONALLY so that there wouldn't be any candy on the receipt!!! I was afraid he would ask to see the receipt. I ate them on the way to the car so he wouldn't know. Talk about sickness...
Old 10-31-2005, 03:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

Originally Posted by TexasGirl
I have been tracking what I eat because I was suspecting that I was extremely sugar sensitive. My results proved that sugar was definitely affecting my mood and my state of mind during the day. So I decided to drop it and all refined carbs. Whoa.
There is a fantastic web site by a woman who writes books about sugar/carb addiction, and the connection to depression.

http://www.radiantrecovery.com/

I have some of her books, and I follow her eating plan. I no longer eat sugar or refined carbs, I have lost 40 pounds, and for the first time in 20 years, I am depression free (without medication). I really recommend her books if you think you have a problem with sugar.

Robin
Old 11-01-2005, 04:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

I am going to check that out Robina...I am currently trying to get back off sugar.

Oh and the comparison isn't silly at all Texas!
Old 11-01-2005, 09:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I love it when y'all have a "light bulb moment"...maybe it ain't just a matter of will for us A's after all, eh? LOL

Do NOT take the above seriously...I'm just pickin' and funnin'...and a gal from Texas oughtta understand "pickin' and funnin'...(G)

BubbaBob
Old 11-01-2005, 10:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

If I lived in Texas I KNOW I would develope a serious dependancy on Fajitas.