Daughter sexually assaulted

Old 10-31-2005, 08:00 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Im sooo sorry.

You are both in my prayers.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:38 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

I am not sure there is anything I can say to make you feel better.
I can tell you that I was raped when I was 17, a virgin, and I was incredibly intoxicated at the time of the attack. Fraternity party my first week away at college.

If she was blacked out due to intoxication, in many states that puts her in the category of an incapacitated person. Thats at least 3rd degree sexual assault, if not 1st or second, depending on other things.

By just being there for her to talk if she wants to, that is helping her. I would also encourage her to get into counseling, although it may not seem to help her until later on. I didnt deal with it for a long time, and I am still dealing with it.

Just being there to listen and hug her is the best thing you can do for her right now.
((Robina))
Old 10-31-2005, 11:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

Many thanks to all of you for your kind and loving words.
There is so much love and wisdom here.

Robin
Old 10-31-2005, 11:49 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hugs to you and your daughter. What a terrible thing to happen. I hope she take the advice and goes for some help. I had a similar situation happen years ago that I still hate talking about. I wish I had gone to councelling for it a long time ago because it still bothers me to this day. It took me a long time to understand that I didn't do anything wrong and that it wasn't my fault. I feel so bad for her. I'm very sorry.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:46 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Please let your daughter know that it was NOT her fault. Just because she was intoxicated and in blackout - that gives nobody the right to do what he did to her. It is a crime.

Prayers to you both to find strength during this time.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:16 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Laughter Helps Me

I was raped when I was 19 and I never received any counseling and everyone left me to deal with it on my own, in my head, because that was what I thought I wanted at the time. I am now 50 and realize how much that destroyed my faith in men and probably played a big part in getting into the wrong kind of relationships. I spent the last 5 years crying about it. After all those years it all of a sudden popped into my very being and I crashed! At my age! After 30 years had passed! Please get her some help, talk about it, when you finally can (OF COURSE, right now you need to deal with your own emotions in this nasty deal....just as any loving mother would!) and don't stop talking about it if she brings it up next year or 5 years or whenever! SHE DID NOT DESERVE THIS NO MATTER WHAT!!

I will be praying for both of you.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:32 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

Originally Posted by LilyMay
SHE DID NOT DESERVE THIS NO MATTER WHAT!!
Originally Posted by brdlvr2
Just because she was intoxicated and in blackout - that gives nobody the right to do what he did to her. It is a crime.

Thank you for this.

Robin
Old 10-31-2005, 03:59 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Sometimes this world is such an ugly place. Thank God your daughter has you to lean on. I would encourage her to seek counciling to help her get through this terrible ordeal, and I encourage you to do the same.

Sending much love and prayers your way.

Jill
Old 11-01-2005, 05:23 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
It's a Puggle!

Robin,
I'm so sorry...
Please, please tell me she went to the hospital and had a rape kit done.
Get your daughter and yourself to the local rape crisis center. They will walk you through every step from counseling to court (if it comes to that). They will help the healing begin and reinforce the fact that this was NOT her fault.
Love and Hugs,
Paula
Old 11-01-2005, 09:51 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jewgirl952
Please don't take this harshly, but it may help you.
Telling someone, in effect, that her daughter's rape was her daughter's fault may help? Where in the hell do you get that?

Use this horrible rape to demonstrate to her what horrible things happen to alcoholic women.
Brought it on herself because she was alcoholic, right? NOT.

... she will focus on his bad and not hers.
I see you don't subscribe to the "sick people trying to get well, not bad people trying be better" thing. Too bad that almost EVERY psychologist says you are wrong.

You have to hold her responsible as an adult who is a raging alcoholic who in a blackout got raped.
Since when is one responsible for getting raped, drunk or sober? That is pure unadulterated BS.

Let her know that you expected, yes, expected this to happen...
I sure hope you aren't a parent of a daughter...NO parent should ever, under ANY circumstances, EXPECT their daughter to be raped.

Please, I know what I'm talking about!
The hell you do.

You have to get her to take responsibility for this rape, for it would not have happened had she not been in her disease. You should drill this into her head...
Again with the "she's responsible for getting raped" BS. I suppose you also think a girl wearing a short skirt is "just asking for it"...right?

...don't try to punish the guy, because that will be enabling to her...
Rapist shouldn't be punished?

...which she hardly remembers since she was in a blackout.
Yeah, yeah, yeah...she's just a drunk so it doesn't matter, right?

Address the disease, not one of the side effects.
I wouldn't exactly call rape a "side effect".

You are right that the disease should be addressed. It's good you are right about that...it's the only thing in the entire post you got right.

BubbaBob
Old 11-01-2005, 10:07 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

Originally Posted by BubbaBob
Since when is one responsible for getting raped, drunk or sober?
I'd like to hug you right now, Bob.

Robin
Old 11-01-2005, 01:18 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Reikihelps

Still praying for you and your daughter Robin. Isn't it terrible that your daughter has to deal not only with the trauma of the rape but also the stigma of people misunderstanding the crime. She will blame herself plenty, alcoholic or not. I pray that she recognizes her worth and does not buy into the "it's her fault for putting herself in harm's way" mentality. I hope God gives you strength and compassion to support and love her through this ordeal.
love,
Reikihelps
Old 11-01-2005, 01:56 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Oh My God, I somehow missed this thread....
I am so sorry for what has happened to your daughter...
My prayers are with you both and hopefully that awful
sick individual will be caught and dealt with.... (((Robin)))

As for Jewgirl.....how out of place your response was.....
You are so off base with your thinking...god help you and anyone in your path...
Old 11-01-2005, 02:38 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Bubba.....I think I have to agree with you on this one.

Many prayers and hugs to you and your daughter, Robina. NO ONE DESERVES THAT....REGARDLESS.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:30 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
It's a Puggle!

Thanks Bubba for having the guts to come right out and say that.

Why anyone would think under ANY circumstances that someone is at fault for being raped is beyond me. No means no. And if someone happens to be unable to respond, then yep, that too is a loud and resounding NO.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:46 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

Robina, my heart goes out to you and your daugther. I can't add anything, just know you are both in my prayers tonight!!! With love, Kerry
Old 11-01-2005, 05:02 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Laughter Helps Me

Robina.
You and your daughter have been on my mind through out the day.
I hope and pray you are both able to find peace soon. Gosh my heart just aches for you both.

You know, I didn't say in my post above, but the night I was raped, although I was not an alcoholic, I was drunk. Out of the blue, my best friend in the world, my Daddy, had just died of a brain aneurysm and also I was just a foolish teenager that went to a bar and drank as many teens my age did. Back then it was legal for 18 yr. olds to drink. In this small town we all went to the bars on the weekend. Well, because I was in that condition, dancing and being friendly, 3 guys that I knew so well in this small town, came to my house. (I had even babysat for one and my own Dad had even saved one of them from a house fire!) I let them in. It soon became a night of horror. I felt like the biggest piece of trash for a long time because of it. Even though I screamed, I yelled stop, I screamed NO, I cried and I begged them to leave. I still thought it was my fault for some time. After all... I LET THEM INTO MY HOUSE! I GOT DRUNK AT A BAR! These guys were married, with young children and attended the Catholic Church here every Sunday with their families. I kept it all inside because I guess I figured no one would believe me or they would think that I asked for it. I use to listen to Tori Amos' song about being raped all the time. Gosh her thoughts are so true for any of us victims. I even went to see her in concert and she sang this with no music and it was unbelievable....amazing...I will never forget that night...listening to her. I cried through the whole thing!
Tori's... ME AND A GUN http://www.hereinmyhead.com/collect/earth/le11.html

Just because some don't have a gun doesn't mean you don't feel threatened nor can most woman fight off the strength these rapist have.

Not only did I have to deal with losing my Dad, I now had the crap they did to me to deal with.

Although I have a small-sized body and always have, I use to have huge breast, but that night one of them said, "I always wanted to get my hands on these." It tore me up inside for a long time. I could never get that comment out of my head and became very self conscience about my breast. Then I had a breast reduction ....down to almost nothing! (Duh! Now I wish I had at least some of that back! LOL)

I just pray you both get help, especially your precious daughter. Rape can mess a gal up in some many ways mentally.

So anyway, your whole situation is on my mind so much and my heart just breaks for your daughter. I wish I knew how to help you both. I feel like all I can do is tell you what I went through and hope that it helps you in some way. I know reading and hearing about others in this situation, in some weird way, helped me.

God bless you
Old 11-01-2005, 05:18 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Laughter Helps Me

Please read what Tori has written at her site I posted above. Her feelings are so true. Especially when she says it "left me paralyzed for years"
and "I really do feel as though I was psychologically mutilated that night and that now I'm trying to put the pieces back together again"

and then.... "The anger came"

and best of all:
" Although when I go in and sing it every night, there's a certain energy I bring to make it very real and then after the performance is over I can go and have an ice cream and have a life and say, 'this is over. I can talk about it and I have love in my life.' And it's really important to get to that stage."

okay....I need to leave this to rest or else I could make this a never-ending thread!
Please know that my best wishes and prayers go out to you! And I will not stop praying for peace in your heart and your daughter's heart.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:02 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Laughter Helps Me

OMG! How did I miss your response! You BIG sweetie BubbaBob!!!
What a wonderful, supportive post!!
Thank God for you!

Originally Posted by BubbaBob
Telling someone, in effect, that her daughter's rape was her daughter's fault may help? Where in the hell do you get that?

Brought it on herself because she was alcoholic, right? NOT.

I see you don't subscribe to the "sick people trying to get well, not bad people trying be better" thing. Too bad that almost EVERY psychologist says you are wrong.

Since when is one responsible for getting raped, drunk or sober? That is pure unadulterated BS.

I sure hope you aren't a parent of a daughter...NO parent should ever, under ANY circumstances, EXPECT their daughter to be raped.

The hell you do.

Again with the "she's responsible for getting raped" BS. I suppose you also think a girl wearing a short skirt is "just asking for it"...right?

Rapist shouldn't be punished?

Yeah, yeah, yeah...she's just a drunk so it doesn't matter, right?

I wouldn't exactly call rape a "side effect".

You are right that the disease should be addressed. It's good you are right about that...it's the only thing in the entire post you got right.

BubbaBob
Old 11-01-2005, 07:03 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

BubbaBob. Words well spoken and expressed. I missed that post and glad I did. Thanks for telling it like it is. Robina nor her daughter deserve any of what happened.

Blessings to you sir.