Question: What happened to blocking certain posters????

Old 10-28-2005, 12:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question: What happened to blocking certain posters????

I just got a private msg. from someone on this board after I posted a question on the A.A. board about the progression of alcoholism. I referred to alcoholism as a "disease." I was promptly told in this PM that I should re-think my belief that alcoholism is a disease. Huh??? Yeah, right .... all of us just have this yearning desire to drink to the point of blackouts and delusions on a regular basis, destroy our health, our families, our jobs. Hell no, this ain't no disease ... just a bunch of weaklings who can't face life on its own terms! Don't think that is what Bill W. was talking about when he started writing the Big Book and the A.A. program ...

P.S. - I couldn't find the option to block this person. It appears to no longer exist. Everybody has a right to their opinion, but when I'm seriously asking for help on another board and have someone from this board suggest to me that alcoholism ain't no freakin' disease, I've got a bit of a problem. Anyone else here think it's merely some character defect or the manifestation of a weakling????
Old 10-28-2005, 12:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by prodigal
all of us just have this yearning desire to drink to the point of blackouts and delusions on a regular basis, destroy our health, our families, our jobs. Hell no, this ain't no disease ...

but but.... *LOL*

Well ok.
That is how I started my drinking though....lets see who can out do the other.

As for blocking. Go to the PM window and near the bottom on the left side...add/ignore will be found.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Prod, hon, I don't quite understand what you're angry about. Was it what the poster said, or the way they said it? As best mentions, there is an ignore button. If it's what they said - well, there is still a lot of debate about alcoholism and therefore many different viewpoints. Science has moved on since the Big Book was written.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To Life!

Prod;
I don't see what Best is talking about, but, here's another way to place someone on ignore.
Click on their name; go to their profile; at the top, you'll see a link to place that person on your buddy list and on the ignore list.
It's too bad this list has to exist, but, it's best to keep your serenity.
Shalom!
Old 10-28-2005, 04:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

and have someone from this board suggest to me that alcoholism ain't no freakin' disease, I've got a bit of a problem. Anyone else here think it's merely some character defect or the manifestation of a weakling????
This is just a suggestion - perhaps it's better not to ask if others agree with the statement that causes you a problem, if (and as it happens I don't) I felt strongly alcoholism was NOT a disease until your last comment I wouldn't be tempted to share that here - but then reading the last question I might also think you wanted it sharing.

Also if you've been sent a PM calling you a weakling I think you would be well within your rights to forward it in confidence to a moderator - if that was only your interpretations of a far more mild or totally different statement, perhaps expressing them in that way would just increase friction and further tempt others to EXPLAIN they don't see how X means Y.

I think perhaps I notice this having been a bit of a hot head once or twice in the past too...

Hope you find the ignore - I reckon it's a very good answer at least until you've cooled off and come to terms with the other person so they don't upset you.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

The disease concept of alcoholism is controversial...as are the terms "insanity" and "codependence". There have been many heated threads about those topics. The scientific world has yet to find a gene or any enlarged thimgamajig that can identify anyone as being an alcoholic. In my mind it is a set of behaviors but that is only my opinion.

Consider also that they don't always like us coming over there. We have had alchies come over here that have been shown the door. It's a shame that someone would send you a nasty PM...feel free to forward it to me if you like. If it is offensive there are things that can be done...if it is simply a difference of opinion...well that's what makes the world go 'round.

Hugs!
Old 10-28-2005, 06:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
dax

Well I am not sure it is truely a disease. I think the term is over used by the alcoholic to get sympathy. I think it is a genetic defect and that those people that have the genetic defect get addicted while others like me never want a second drink. The thing about the disease concept that annoys me- if youv'e got a terminal disease , most people will go througjh hell[like chemo therapy] to get cured. Lots of alocholics never opt for a cure.
This is just my opinion. dax