Understanding the process

Old 10-21-2005, 07:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Understanding the process

I found this info on a website,
http://www.self-renewal.com/alcohol%20addiction.htm
It helped me see that this is an actual thing that has taken them. It's so easy to start believing that they are choosing to drink every day (which is unbearable), but there is something very real happening in their bodies. I'm not saying they can't make the choice to get help...just that this helps me understand their current choices too.

Physical Addiction
Medical research shows two major causes of physical addiction. (1) Your cells adapt to alcohol; and (2) your body has a problem with alcohol metabolism.

Adaptation in the cells. To your cells, alcohol becomes a way of life. Your blood bathes every cell in alcohol on a fairly regular schedule. Your cells adjust. They grow to expect these doses on time.

Your cells learn to cope with alcohol by defending themselves against alcohol’s toxic effects. Cell walls harden to retain stability and reduce toxic damage. But as your cells get tough against alcohol, gradually more and more can be consumed. Your tolerance increases.

In the long run, however, cell walls break down. At this point, your cells lose their ability not only to keep toxins out but to retain the essential nutrients you get from food. Many of them stop functioning altogether, or start functioning abnormally. That’s when your organs (heart, brain, liver, kidneys, etc.), which are nothing more than whole systems of cells, begin to fail.

Your cells show signs of physical addiction another way. They crave alcohol as a food. Alcohol converts almost instantly to glucose in the blood. Known as blood-sugar, the body uses this as food for all the cells. When you drink alcohol, like eating a candy bar or drinking a soda, the cells get a quick burst of energy. This energy, as you may know, is measured in “calories.”

Alcoholic beverages pack a lot of calories. Five to ten drinks provide the same amount of calories as a well-balanced meal. But the meal, of course, would have provided essential vitamins, minerals, proteins (amino acids), fats, fiber, and the complex carbohydrates—all of which the body needs to stay healthy. Unfortunately, the simple carbohydrates of alcohol satisfy the hunger too well. And, when you drink a lot, you usually don’t feel like eating a meal, balanced or not.

Your cells adapt another way. They grow to crave alcohol for the sedation. Alcohol sedates all of your cells. Also, secondary compounds called isoquinolines form in the brain where they cause heroin-like sedation of the brain and nervous system. That’s why, among all the cells, nerve cells react most violently whenever alcohol is taken away. You’ll see anything from shaking hands and nervous irritability, to convulsive seizures.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing with us Texas Girl
It helped re-enforce some of the things I already knew.
Explains why my ex didn't want to eat the big meals while he was drinking.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Excellent site. I hope everyone takes the time to read all of this.
Thank you TexasGirl!
Old 10-21-2005, 10:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

yep. very true indeed.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

How to quit Drinking w/out AA

Hi Texas Girl,

Have you read the book your website refers to? "How to quit Drinking w/out AA"

I was thinking about getting it for my wayward wife. I do not know if she will read it, but she is so thin....so screwed up. I want to help in any way I can....or is this a waste of my time.

Its soooo hard to let go and watch as someones life unravels!! She the mother of my children....to watch her slowly disappear eats at my soul!
Old 10-21-2005, 11:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
too much on my plate!!

Thanks for the site and info!

Explains why my ex best friend never ate any meals when she was drinking. I feel for this girl, as she is so destroying her body by taking AD's, Tylenol PM every night, plus drinking every single night to help her fall asleep. She also has a job that requires her to carry a gun. I'm just shocked that none of her coworkers have noticed her drinking.

What a mess just waiting to happen...so sad.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by guyinNC
Have you read the book your website refers to? "How to quit Drinking w/out AA"

I was thinking about getting it for my wayward wife. I do not know if she will read it, but she is so thin....so screwed up. I want to help in any way I can....or is this a waste of my time.
Hi GuyinNC -- no I haven't read the book, nor did I read the entire website. I just stumbled upon that section. That portion helped me because sometimes I forget and start looking at the situation like it is something he is doing to us intentionally.