You wished me a good weekend...

Old 10-15-2005, 11:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

You wished me a good weekend...

And so far - WOW!!

We had APAS this morning and D had said he's like to go with me to their creative writing workshop. I thought he would back out but he didn't. We were going to have the counselling session afterwards but they had no-one spare so it was just the workshop.

We had though the writing workshop would be just us as the previous 4 weeks no-one had attended but it wasn't. There was another fella in his mid 30's, homeless and living in a hostel - and yep you could see that! He was cool though and I think very bright too.

The tutor was like a school master and there were little in the way of choices what we did but it warmed up as the ice broke between us a little. We had to write a poem but by passing it round - the primary author getting the slightly larger share! Then we had to each read out our poem!!

I thought D would refuse, the tutor said you could refuse but not because you thought it wasn't good enough and that he didn't want any of us to refuse. I was sure D would refuse. I went first, taking my time.... then D. HE DIDN'T REFUSE!! He took his time, I could tell his voice was shaky but maybe that's just because I know him but he did it!!

Then it was the turn of the other bloke (Another D and I hate making up names!!). The guy apologised in advance if he stammered, was much more nervous than D and shaking like a leaf - but he did it too.

In the end we were editing and reading like there was no tomorrow and all laughing ourselves silly at jokes. The other guy turned out to be interested in astronomy and he and D started chatting about coronas and solar eclipses in general. I noticed his accent was educated and southern but now northern as well. I couldn't help but wonder how he gets treated with his self inflicted scars all up his arms, and one across his throat, his clothes dirty and far too big, his teeth brown. I felt strange that I was weighing that up while he chatted about the corona from a full eclipse. D seemed so wrapped up in what was said I didn't think he had noticed.

We all went out for a cigarette and I think a conference was kicking out on teh other side of the street. Outside the alcohol advice center with a homeless guy the 'normals' gave us a wide birth - D was still so wrapped up listening too this guy tell him what had happened when he was at school that made reading out loud so frightening for him. D sympathised that he also was on the verge of chickening out. I sort of joined in mainly in saying how much I liked a change he made in reading my poem - it did sound better. But inbetween I still noticed the arc of empty paving around us, I was prouder to be where I was than I would have been to be where they were.

I wonder why I watch so much? I wonder if it's wrong to?

D said all the way home that he was glad we went, we're going again next week and I hope the other D is there. It turned out he's staying in the hostel that the boarding house I grew up in used to take their over flow. 'The Sally Army up the road.' Funny how life has circles.

When we got back D said he wondered how the other D had got the scar on his throat - he wondered if someone had given it to him. I said judging by the scars on his arms I thought not. We both agreed we were VERY glad whatever cut his throat didn't kill him, we're glad we got to meet D2!!

To top it all off my friend texted to say she'll sort our dogs tomorrow - we're going to spend the day walking in woodland, D wants to photograph more mushrooms!! We can't take the dogs with us because there's too many other dogs at a weekend and our little one fights.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

WOW is right - i'll be looking for some of those pics of mushrooms! such good news!
Old 10-15-2005, 02:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You two deserved it!!!
Old 10-15-2005, 02:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks - and yep I'm hopeful for piccies too. I'll share any real doozys.

We fell asleep in a heap for over 3hours this afternoon!! <--- Fascinating stuff eh?

Someone stick a sock in me gob!
Old 10-15-2005, 03:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

what a wonderful way to end the day!
Old 10-16-2005, 01:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The walk was HEAVEN!! Loads of woodland....

We got some mushroom piccies including..... (wait for it) - A purple one!!! (Well almost!).

We came home and fell asleep again - now to order some pizza from the best little pizza shop in town (we love 'em!).
Old 10-16-2005, 04:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

heaven, you're in heaven!