Dual Diagnosis

Old 10-13-2005, 06:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dual Diagnosis

Hello!

I am looking to connect up with a group or other people who's SO is not only an A but also has one or more diagnosed disorders. MY AH went through a battery of psychological testing this week and diagnosed... after a month sober.... with several psychosis (what's the plural of Psychosis???? )

Paranoid/Schizophrenic/ADHD etc by a highly respected and reputable Psychologist. This is not a shock to me, I've been living it for nearly 5 years.

Yesterday my AH moved from an Inpatient Treatment Program to a halfway house (IOP) Intensive Out Patient. I have concerns about how to get him to get as much counseling as possible. He is nearly impossible to communicate with... as he is in as much denial about the disorders as the alcohol. Does anyone share my dilemma?

OMGdess
Old 10-13-2005, 06:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry..... he is NOT necessarily in recovery of his own free will. It is Court ordered but he claims to desire recovery. I thought that was important to add.

OMGdess
Old 10-13-2005, 06:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

There is a Mental Health Forum here. Great people and lots of information.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

gelfling- thanks, I have checked that area out, but was unable to find anything useful as of yet. Will keep checking though.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Jon
But Very, Very Bruisable...

Greetings OMG...this place began, quite literally, as a list of links to dual diagnosis resources because I couldn't find any.

Quick note: Any experienced Doc will refrain from an official diagnosis until at least 6 months of sobriety. The reasons are all practical. It takes our minds and bodies at least that long to produce the right amounts of this, that and the other. Until then, any diagnosis is really a dis-service because of a bad habit the Health Care folks have, both public and private, of "labeling."

I went a few years with a depressive label. No one could figure out why, almost like clockwork, I would go completely haywire every 90 days or so.

Until someone took the time to remove the label.

You see most manic-depressives don't do very well on SSRI's like Prozac, Paxil, and such. As it turns out, they have a bad habit too. After getting up to a therapeutic level in our bloodstream, they actually send us into mania.

An addict on a manic is like...there is nothing like it. For me it would usually end staggering around skid row in ****-stained pants or locked down in a County psych ward.

Anyway, back to the point. Beware of White Coats handing out diagnosis to patients not even fully detoxed. Detox alone causes symptoms that mirror psychosis, and Post-Acute Withdrawal can rear its ugly head as late as 9 months sober.

Don't get me wrong, knowing is a good thing. Knowing the truth, despite taking a while longer, is far better.

Lots of resources here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/links/dualdiagnosis.com http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Sec...ontentID=10333
and lots more if you need anything.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think here is as near as you can get for family and friends - just takes a while sometimes to explain not everything is due to drinking. I'm with Jon up to a point, I think symptoms can be accurately diagnosed once drinking has stopped but would also be cautious of predictive lifelong labels. (I'm cheating 'cos that's what D's doc said!)

I would recomend anyone doing their own reading too. This link http://www.psychologynet.org/dsm.html will give you the DSM IV - TR diagnostic criterias for almost everything - be suspicious of anything not in it.

Good luck - you're not alone!
Old 10-14-2005, 05:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

He may be kinda ashamed of the labeling. Alot of people don't want to admit a mental illness. I have read that many people that are depressed will self medicate with alcohol without even knowing they are doing it for that reason. My son and 2 grown step sons have A.D.H.D. it seems to run heavily on my H's side of the family. I have done alot of reading about the condition. People that are untreated have a high rate of alcoholism. My step son is a severe alcoholic. He is a textbook case of someone who needs medication for depression, he is uninsured. He blows tons of money on the weekends
drinking and on mondays he is sad and sometimes wanting to end it all. Its bad he has been in rehabs but he just won't give up the alcohol. I hope your H will do well after he gets released from the halfway house. Take care of yourself and I will say a pray for you both, With love, Kerry
Old 10-14-2005, 06:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi there,

My RAH has been treated for dual-diagnosis. He went through 30 day drug/alcohol rehab, and at the time was just previously diagnosed as schizophrenic. Then once through rehab, he was schizo-affective. Then into a dual-diagnosis facility for two months, as his sobriety settled in, he went to being diagnosed as bipolar. The doctors all along said it would be difficult to diagnose him for sure until he was sober for a long period of time. It seems through all research and experiences, they aren't sure to what extent the alcohol and drug abuse has on the brain and mental health, and how it sorts itself out over time.

Just wanted to say I love this forum, I am learning so much here!

Marg
Old 10-14-2005, 11:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My AH has a dual dx of alcoholism and bipolar II disorder. I really believe the bipolar II disorder really complicated the alcoholism and vice versa. I think they both need to be under control in order for hte alcoholism to be beat. But drinking alcohol makes the other worse, etc. It's a hard combo and it sounds like your AH has a really hard combo.

Sometimes it takes a while before people accept psych diagnoses. Give him time.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Jon… thanks for the links…. I have been unable to access the SR one and had utilized the second one earlier on…! (I research and read a lot!)

Of course, it is difficult to perfectly diagnose someone in early sobriety. I believe that’s a given…. But… it’s a damn good start!!! Beats not addressing any mental health issues at all and just blaming it all on the alcohol. We’ve been down this road twice now, so this is a break through….. and the "labeling" actually helps to put some behaviors into perspective for him. I am sane, sober and have known that he has some major mental health issues… on top of… or because of…. his alcoholism…. No question. Where ever they decide to start is okay by me.

He was previously diagnosed Bi-Polar by an LCDC and has been on medication for it for a year. I didn’t necessarily agree with that diagnosis for him nor did the medication address his many other symptoms. Now he is off to a psychiatrist to get the proper meds. My hope here is to find others that have had to work through getting their SO to enough therapy to make a difference…. How much therapy did it take to make a difference? What were they willing to do for themselves in therapy? How often do they need therapy? What kinds of things can be sign of progress…etc.
My AH doesn’t deny his diagnosis…. He just denies his actions and behaviors!!!!!

Equus, thanks for the thoughts…. and the link is fabulous…educating oneself is soooo important. I probably read or do personal research for at least 2-3 hours everyday. I hope that doesn’t make me a nerd!

Kerry,…. Thanks so much for your kind words and prayers. You sure have a lot on your plate with your son and step sons.

Marge,…. I had in my mind that what you went through is similar to what I will go through if I stay with my AH. Is your RAH still in treatment?

Meli2005,… I am sorry for your circumstance… it must be very difficult. Yes, I agree it really must be hard to deal with the two issues. If there is one thing I have learned in the last few years of dealing with this dual thing is that giving it time has not worked at all. As a matter of fact… now my motto is "time is of the essence". I’ll tell you why I say that…. because… you get the dual A sober for a few weeks and he finds he can’t deal with life AT ALL… he has no idea how to cope AT ALL… he is now MORE paranoid…. MORE non-communicative… MORE anxious….MORE angry, Etc… And without some kind of diagnosis, proper meds and therapy he’s back to drinking… program or no program.

Thanks everyone for responding.

OMGdess