SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   New and need some help. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/7348-new-need-some-help.html)

Gallamist 12-05-2002 02:25 AM

New and need some help.

Hello Everyone. I'm new here and would like some suggestions on what to do.

I'm 26 years old and still live with my dad. It's just the 2 of us and our dogs and cats. My dad has been an Alcoholic for yrs to long for me to count and it's really gettin bad now, bills are unpaid, rent is unpaid and well i'm sure some of you know how the situation goes.

Tonite I told him he could of gone with out the case of beer and that lead to a huge fight!

How do I try to get him to help himself? He is a new business owner and I would hate to see his business go down because of his drinking (yes he drinks at work too) He keeps telling me he will quit drinking when his business gets busy, well it's been busy for some time now and he drinks just as much as he did before.

It's tiring coming home and finding him and his friend in the kitchen drinking till there beyond drunk and all the beer is gone.

How do I go about approaching him and telling him he needs to seek some professional help with his drinking problem without offending him?

Thanks and any help would be appreciated. :)

JT 12-05-2002 10:04 AM

Welcome!!

It is unfortunate but you cannot do anything to make him stop drinking. You can calmly tell him of your concern and then the ball is in his court. If there are physical problems you may be able to get him in a hospital and if he is going to harm himself or you maybe you could call the police. You can allow him to suffer the consequences of his actions thereby forcing him to see what is going on a little clearer but all in all there is not alot you can do.

You can take care of yourself and make sure your needs are being met. You can move or cover the bills that are neccessary to make you comfortable while staying where you are.

Have you considered Alanon meetings??

Gallamist 12-05-2002 02:13 PM

No I haven't considered Alanon meetings what are they? sorry if that sounds like a stupid question never been through this before. He's in no way gonna harm himself unless of course he drives which he tends to too all to often then it's also someone elses life in danger. I was cought drinking and driving not long ago on the rare occasion that i do sit and have a few beers and let me tell you i sure learnt my lesson it was a blessing in disguise I didn't get into an accident i was just pulled over.

Thanks for the advise i'll look into it. :)

Hangin' In 12-06-2002 07:52 AM

Gallamist,

Call 1-888-4ALANON. It's the national Al Anon line. You can tell them where you live, or a city close by, and they can give you times and dates of Al Anon meetings.

Al Anon is for those who live with or are affected in some way by alcoholics. It's a great support group. It will help you understand the alcoholic, but more so, will help you help yourself!

Gall, check into Al Anon and GO TO THE MEETINGS! It will be a great source of support for you. And keep reading here. You'll learn a lot.

Gallamist 12-06-2002 02:02 PM

Thanks Hangin In' ! :)